FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New Bishop for Oakland, CA diocese
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you go to Zenit--I don't know how to transfer articles to this posting board--you will find that Bishop Salvatore Cordileone has been appointed the new bishop of the Oakland, CA, diocese, and will be installed May 5th.  He was ordained in 1982 and made auxilliary bishop of San Diego in 2002. He is very TRAD FRIENDLY and very orthodox and conservative !!! He is a close friend of Archbishop Burke. And, being a former resident of the Oakland diocese, I know he is going to have a very hard time dealing with the extremely leftist priests there. Lots of homo priests there. I know some. Lots of new ager type priests there. I know lots. Personally. This diocese got rotten under Bishop Cummins reign, and Bishop Vigneron who was supposed to clean it out, just let it go on without doing much. Weak. Or maybe just too many priests were bad. I know what I'd do. I would kick 'em all out and get in good priests from foreign dioceses. Better to have a few good ones than lots of rotten ones. Pray for this bishop. -- To give an idea of the priests there, when Bishop Vigneron left the diocese to become the new Archbishop of Detroit, the Oakland diocese's priests' council appointed Fr. Dan Danielson to temporarily head the diocese until a new bishop was appointed. Fr. Dan Danielson was known to have "married" several gay couples in his Church in Contra Costa county. I personally know someone who was present when one of those "weddings" took place. He is a well know deviant.
Bishop Cordileone came to Connecticut a few years back and said a traditional Latin Mass here.  He will make a fine bishop, but I agree, he has much work to do in Oakland and will meet with much opposition.

Christina
There is some early speculation that he is moving to California to get ready for the Los Angeles job.  It's just speculation, but... here's to hoping!
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:There is some early speculation that he is moving to California to get ready for the Los Angeles job.  It's just speculation, but... here's to hoping!

Welll, he's not moving there...he is already in San Diego.....

But, yes, the thought had crossed my mind that he is being "groomed" for Mahoney's position, God willing.
Christina
Laudetur Iesus Christus!

I hope you all are right. This Lent has been a desert of bad news, so this is like a drop of water.
Let me give you a hypothetical.  Let's say there's a diocese somewhere with 99 parishes and 60 active priests to cover those 99 parishes.  Now, for the sake of argument and to make it easy, let's say 30 of those active priests are leftists/homos/deviants/etc. of one type or another.  (It might be more, but let's stick with 30.)  Now, let's say the bishop decides to target those 30 priests specifically.  He tells them to cease their deviancy and disobedience immediately.  They all refuse so he suspends them.  Now he's got 30 priests in his diocese to cover 99 parishes.  Which means, each priest will be responsible for at least 3 parishes.  Even the pastors of 500+ member parishes will be asked to take on additional responsibility. This would not inspire much confidence in the remaining 30 priests. From a simple logistical standpoint, many Masses will be canceled, some to be replaced by "Communion Services" led by short haired nuns in pants.  There isn't a priest making factory in some foreign country.  Missionary priests cost money, something most dioceses don't have much of.

What I'm saying is, the Church is in such a mess at the present time that most bishops, no matter how trad-friendly, are not going to be able to do much.  The leftists hold the upper hand at the moment due to their numbers.  Eventually the hippies will die off but in the meantime there's not much to be done. That's just reality.   
We live in the San Diego area, and for Christmas, we went to our first Latin Mass over at St. Anne's parish. Bishop Cordileone said the Mass and it was very beautiful. God Bless him, and I hope he does take over Mahoney's position!
Pity it's too late for him to do something about the new "cathedral."

[Image: 2334683768_46ed5a0211.jpg]
[Image: 2334683768_46ed5a0211.jpg]

No one can say that this strange-looking cathedral is not following an ancient model architecturally - behold the original:

[Image: teepee400.jpg]

DrBombay Wrote:What I'm saying is, the Church is in such a mess at the present time that most bishops, no matter how trad-friendly, are not going to be able to do much.  The leftists hold the upper hand at the moment due to their numbers.  Eventually the hippies will die off but in the meantime there's not much to be done. That's just reality.   

Thats why we have the SSPX and FSSP etc. though.
Pages: 1 2