FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Harvard agrees with Pope on Condoms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dr. Edward C. Green, director of the AIDS Prevention Research Project at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, told National Review Online last week that despite AIDS activists and media outlets pounding the pope for downplaying the effectiveness of condoms, the science actually supports the Catholic leader’s claim.

“The pope is correct,” Green told NRO, “or put it a better way, the best evidence we have supports the pope’s comments.”

“There is,” Green added, “a consistent association shown by our best studies, including the U.S.-funded ‘Demographic Health Surveys,’ between greater availability and use of condoms and higher (not lower) HIV-infection rates. This may be due in part to a phenomenon known as risk compensation, meaning that when one uses a risk-reduction ‘technology’ such as condoms, one often loses the benefit (reduction in risk) by ‘compensating’ or taking greater chances than one would take without the risk-reduction technology.”

taken from http://catholicism.org/more-coverage-of-...marks.html

I read about Dr. Green last week at the Catholic League site.  Then I checked out the Harvard site to learn more.  I was interested to note that he said only Uganda, which has emphasized monogamy and fidelity, has been able to stop the rise of AIDS.  All other African countries are failing to do so, no matter how many condoms they give out.
Hey, so do I!
Another good article about Dr. Green saying the pope is correct:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009...-53.0.html

Dr. Green says he is a liberal and voted for Obama yet his views are only being printed in religious and/or conservative publications.  Wonder why?

What makes me laugh is the idea that any African man who is shopping it around is going to give a ratz about the Pope's views on condoms.  I mean really?  Can any of these people really have given the matter any thought at all.

Can you imagine the typical South African truckdriver pulling into a truck stop but forgoing to use a condom because B16 or the local Catholic bishop tells him they are bad?

If African men are not using condoms it is because they prefer sex without them, because life is cheap in most of Africa and because they are so fatalistic and superstitious that they think the local witchdoctor, lucky charm or voodoo priest will protect them from STDs.  It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with our Pope or the Church's teaching.
I wonder whether you put a sharp metal spike on the steering wheel instead of an airbag and removed the driver's safety belt, it would slow drivers down as they "risk-compensated" for what would happen to them if they rapidly decelerated.

ggreg: You severely underestimate the Africans... Africa is getting more Catholics than any other continent and some of its countries are majority Catholic (Angola, for one).  I also get rosary requests from people in Africa (actually, more rosary requests come from a smallish country in Africa than any state in the USA or equally sized country). 
They do listen to the Pope. 
I don't know why you have such views on Africans, perhaps unfamiliarity, but you are wrong. Yes, in some areas local religions and superstitions may be prominent, but that is the same all over the world to some degree. Africa isn't particularly special in this area. 
The Africans I know personally are the same as Americans or Europeans.
O'Neill,

I think you miss Ggreg's point.  I think he was saying that, even if the liberals were right and condoms do prevent AIDS, promiscuous men don't listen to the Pope anyway -- they're promiscuous, after all.  If they don't listen to the Pope on marital fidelity, they won't listen when it comes to condom usage.  Hence, even if condoms did prevent AIDS (which it doesn't), the *promiscuous* men who don't wear condoms don't refuse to wear them because they listen to the Pope.  No one who is promiscuous listens to the Pope.

Btw, some liberals realize this.  Hence their propaganda line is that they want to protect faithful women whose husbands cheat.  These women might listen to the Pope and risk AIDS by not making their husbands wear condoms.  So the shrill line goes. 
How many wives have to ask their husbands to use condoms? Not a happy marriage.
I disagree with the idea that "anyone who is promiscuous listens to the Pope".
The Pope is supposed to teach and lead; it is up to the people who hear to follow or not follow.