FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Total Consecration to Mary and Praying for Others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When St. Louis DeMontfort says...

"It follows then that anyone who in this way consecrates and sacrifices himself voluntarily to Jesus through Mary may no longer dispose of the value of any of his good actions. All his sufferings, all his thoughts, words, and deeds belong to Mary. She can then dispose of them in accordance with the will of her Son and for his greater glory. This dependence, however, is without detriment to the duties of a person's present and future state of life. One such duty, for example, would be that of a priest who, by virtue of his office or otherwise, must apply the satisfactory or prayer value of the Holy Mass to a particular person. For this consecration can only be made in accordance with the order established by God and in keeping with the duties of one's state of life. "

what exactly does he mean by it?  Obviously, priests can offer mass for people when they are requested to do so, but let's say during mental prayer, I decide to ask God to convert one of my friends.  Is this out of keeping with the devotion?  Or does mental prayer not fall under the category of actions that St. Louis is talking about?

I think St. Louis is speaking of the value of your merits, which would be distributed to others (instead of them being used to reduce your time in Purgatory).  You can still pray for a particular individual, and that prayer will have a certain "value" before God.  For example, if I were to pray a novena for someone, in addition to the hopefully granting my request, God would reward the charitable act that I'm doing.  When you consecrate yourself, and offer everything to the Blessed Virgin, God will still recognize your charitable act.  However, instead of using it to reduce your temporal punishment, you're giving its satisfactory value to Mary and she can distribute it how she wishes (maybe back to you or someone else).

The priest in this case would be offering the Sacrifice of the Mass for others, and not for reducing his own temporal punishment.
I don't know if I'm doing it "right" but anytime I pray the rosary or attend Mass I will still offer up an intention or two but will always conclude with, "for the intentions of the Immaculate Heart of Mary" with the understanding that if there is something more important or Our Lady has something else in mind then she will do with it as She sees fit but Her's is the first priority.