FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Heretic Bookstores - A Quick Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like a quick answer from you fisheaters if possible.

Would it been sinful to go to an Anglican bookstore to purchase religious items? They have a Catholic section with Papal encyclicals and Catholic trinkets etc. but it's a ministry of the Anglican province of Ontario.

I think of the Anglican communion as more of a country club than a religious organization, but would it be sinful to contribute financially by purchasing books from them?

I want to get something for my mother before returning home from university.

I should add; there are no Catholic stores in the city.
I don't know if it's sinful... but i always prefer to give my $ to Catholics whenever possible.

If you do make a purchase, make sure whatever you're getting has the Imprimatur inside the front cover.
I'd rather support a secular institution than one that openly promotes heresy.  That said, if it's your only option, you do what you gotta do.

Is the internet an option?
libby Wrote:I don't know if it's sinful... but i always prefer to give my $ to Catholics whenever possible.

If you do make a purchase, make sure whatever you're getting has the Imprimatur inside the front cover.

I don't know if it is sinful, either, but I would hesitate to support financially any institution which is opposed to the ideals of the Church in any way.  Of course, I do realize that without knowing, I may do so with many of the establishments I spend money in, but I will not do so knowingly.

On the other hand, it is possible that you may plant the seeds of conversion in an employee who either assists you in choosing something, or the employee who rings up your transaction.

You've always seemed pretty level-headed and quite firm in your faith here and on CAF, so I would trust your own judgment, Dauphin.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I'd rather support a secular institution than one that openly promotes heresy.  That said, if it's your only option, you do what you gotta do.

That's just it - I'm not sure that the Anglicans teach anything in particular. It's more of a social organization for the elderly.

That said, I probably won't go unless I can find some sort of definitive answer.

inillotempore Wrote:You've always seemed pretty level-headed and quite firm in your faith here and on CAF, so I would trust your own judgment, Dauphin.

Haha. Thanks, but I'm not quite so confident.

I mean, it would almost certainly be sinful to attend their liturgy and put money in the collection basket. Is this really any different?

Then again, I buy from atheists and agnostics all the time, who likely donate some of their proceeds to terrible causes. I'm not sure what the principled choice is here.
Questions like these stem from exposure more than anything else. We don't hesitate to drop money all the time on even greater heretical institutions (after all, isn't secularism Protestantism taken to it's logical conclusion?), or anti-Catholic institutions (e.g.: Federal government).
i wouldn't worry about it, think of it as support small business owners who are also Christians, besides it is not like you're writing a check to the archbishop of canterbury for the purpose of propagating the anglican religion.
Dauphin Wrote:but it's a ministry of the Anglican province of Ontario.
oh i didnt see that part, no i wouldnt buy from them.
Pages: 1 2