FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Divine Intimacy"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am thinking of purchasing "Divine Intimacy," by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene, OCD.

Anyone familiar with it?
I have it; I started using it last summer, then didn't keep up with it for a while, and decided to start it up again for Lent.

It's a series of short meditations and prayers for each day of the liturgical year, maybe 3 pages or so a day.

In my opinion, anyway, it's a great devotional, but for me keeping up with the routine of reading it every day can be slightly difficult.
I know people who really like it. From looking at it online, it seems really good, especially that it follows the liturgical calendar.

For a while I was following "Manna of the Soul," which I found to be really good. It doesn't follow the liturgical calendar, but has a meditation on a small piece of holy scripture for every day of the year. It's written by a Jesuit, while "Divine Intimacy" is from a Carmelite perspective.

(I just reached 707 posts. Since I kind of like that number, I think I'll just stop now.)
Im actually reading it, I love it. I have a hard time with religious reading, I find it very dry and boring, but this one is great. You just read a couple pages a day, really easy. And you have something to meditate and think about all day, im really happy with it.
I love "Divine Intimacy."  The only drawback is that it follows the old liturgical calendar, which can be difficult for someone like me, who is marooned in Novus Ordo land.  It is also written for consecrated religious, so some of the situations it brings up can be a stretch for a layperson to relate to at times.
My mom loves this book, and my dad even found it for her in Italian so she could read it in the original (her first language as well).
CanadianCatholic Wrote:Im actually reading it, I love it. I have a hard time with religious reading, I find it very dry and boring, but this one is great. You just read a couple pages a day, really easy. And you have something to meditate and think about all day, im really happy with it.

The same here.

I never took to Spiritual reading.  Tried Imitation of Christ, but thought it too much doom and gloom.  Most spirtual reading for me is dry and boring.

But this book is the best.  I started it for Lent, and have done it everyday.  I like it very much.

And do not think it is a easy reader to introduce people to spiritual mediation.  It is not.  It builds on IOC, but goes beyond it.  It follows the Carmelite spirituality which is more based on the Love and Mercy of God, then his Justice.

If you are trying to go beyond Imperfect Love to Perfect Love, this book is it.
I like this book.  It's a quick read everyday.  
I also like the Imitation, but I think a little doom and gloom is good for folks every once in awhile. :fish

This sounds terrible, but I kinda take to the Imitation like fish to...well, you know.

A friend of mine gave me Divine Intimacy, but I have yet to read it.
Divine Intimacy is amazing. I prefer it to Imitation of Christ also, but I've found that since Imitation has shorter readings, the two complement each other very well when read daily.

It was my first book of spiritual readings, given to me as a gift, and I love it. Recommend it 100%.
Pages: 1 2