FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary Request Problems: Need input
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got a rather sticky problem with the rosary requests (http://rosary.freehostia.com). 
I do not want to turn anyone down, even if it means personal loss, but there is a strong possibility some of the requests are not valid, but some sort of scam. 
It involves a country in Africa. I got a bunch of requests through email requesting rosaries to be sent to this particular addess (a PO box, which seemed to belong to a Methodist church) from different people. I did not think it was strange, as some claimed to be part of a Catholic organisation and they may all use this box. 
Then I started getting mail requests, instead of through my site. I never got responses from the people through email (which in itself isn't strange. I do not hear from most people who get my free rosaries). These mail requests however all use the same paper (not in itself strange, it seems supplied by their post office, as it is easily folded into its own envelope and seems specifically used for Air Mail) but all the letters follow the same format, and some seem to have very similiar handwriting (the way certain letters are formed, connected, etc) and again, it is all to the same address. The format of the letters is quite...odd. It opens up with an awkwardly worded opening, often very flattering, then goes into a personal story which may have a line like "The main reason I'm writing is to request some rosary", then has a list of people who also want rosaries.
I try not to be suspicious and I fullfiled these requests as soon as I could. 
Now, I got a new letter. This one set off the alarms in my head. It is from the same person (name, anyway), same address, and is very similiar worded, but the handwriting is different and the details of the letter are different. The name is quite unique, and the story is the same basic one, but the details are all changed. Instead of being 15, she's 18. Instead of being a youth going to a camp, she's a sister. The list at the end also contains names that I sent rosaries long ago, more than once I think. 
I am convinced these letters were written by different people; there is no doubt about it. There is no way a person could have a refined handwriting (not like tracing or a child, it is clearly an adult's or developed handwriting), yet they follow the same basic outline with details changed. 
I feel bad seeing this, because there is no way for me to know for sure. Another person may have been suspicious with the other letters, which seemed to be from the same person (handwriting wise) but with different names and details (same address though). 
The letters also come from people who seem to be non-Catholic (and with denominations who would not pray the rosary, despite the claim that the pastor encouraged it) and it seems to place too much emphasis on the rosary itself, rather than the prayer. 
If I had to reach a conclusion, I would conclude that these letters are written by the same group of people following perhaps the lead of a single person to get free rosaries to sell (some of the rosaries I sent were much higher quality than my typical free rosaries, especially the one originally sent to this duplicate person). I get no responses or references to the letters I send with the rosaries either.
If I had the means, I would send the rosaries without thought. They asked; they receive, but I cannot fulfill the requests easily (they are now asking for many rosaries; over 30 per letter) and if I thought them to be genuine, I would without hesitation buy the extra rosaries (and thanks to those who sent me rosaries, they are a big help) and send them. However, I do not wish to encourage this fraud, and with the latest letter (the one which started this post), I do not feel I should do it, because if they are being used for personal gain, they are exploiting the people to whom they are being sold when those people could just ask me directly. The letters also use the old name I used on my site, so they recorded this information. I would think using the internet would be much easier than international air mail, especially since all they have to do is type an address and hit submit, but if it were a fraud, that might be a hassle...
I would like your opinions. Is it alright for me not to send rosaries to what I have strong evidence is a fraud? Should I try to contact them (without rosaries) and ask for an explanation? Should I just send the rosaries I can? 
It is Africa after all, a lot of poverty down there, people go to extremes to make money in extreme situations.
People also got to extremes in order to not work, or to get something for nothing.
Its definitely fraud id say.
Id make them explain themselves anyway and tell them your suspicions, if their tricksters theyll probably figure the game is ups and its time to move on, if theyre genuine, theyll explain themselves.
Your still distributing rosaries i suppose......fraud or not.

Thanks. Considering the rosaries I often send are using higher quality parts, I'm afraid they will be used for improper things. A rosary appeals to Catholics (mostly), but a necklace has a bigger potential market. 
I will respond to this letter, by sending my own personal rosary to this person (these people) with an explanation of why I use it (it is a simple cord rosary, of no value except cord) and I will request an explanation of the oddities I observed with the promise to only send cord rosaries or ring rosaries (which I can purchase locally for very cheap) which have no special material value or use other than being used for praying.
very very wise ideas
You could also offer to ask on your site for cord materials to be sent directly to them so they could make their own.

Additionally, find out what diocese they are in and write the chancery down their asking them to verify the need.  If the need is real, you can send the rosaries to the chancery and have them distribute them.
Quis: Making cord rosaries is quite hard (it takes me more time to make a cord rosary than a chain rosary). It also takes more focus and practice.
By "cord rosary" I mean a rosary made of one piece of cord. Like this: http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blackknot.jpg
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Additionally, find out what diocese they are in and write the chancery down their asking them to verify the need.  If the need is real, you can send the rosaries to the chancery and have them distribute them.

This is good advice.  You might also send the person/people a letter saying that you want to make sure that there are enough rosaries to meet everyone's needs, so that they should contact their local diocese for some help as well.  You have no obligation to give everyone a rosary that asks.

It might even suffice to say that that requester should ask you again in 6 months, but that you have other demands to tend to first.
Quote:You have no obligation to give everyone a rosary that asks.
Actually, for a legit request for a rosary, I do have an obligation I think.
I only hold myself to giving rosaries to individuals who want one though.
It's possible these people could be practicing a form of Santeria, found mainly in the Caribbean but I believe originated in Africa, or it could be some other peculiar form of syncretic African religion that uses Catholic sacramentals.  Just a suggestion. 
I agree with what everyone else here has written - and your only obligation is to God after all, no?

You have a feeling ( rightfully so) that there may be something inappropriate about these requests - and they can be as benign as some selling them to feed their family, or as abusive as knowingly using them sacrilegiously.

Either way, I think the above suggestions are good ones.
Pages: 1 2