FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What is a CINO?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://stjohnsvaldosta.blogspot.com/ 

Catholics
In
Name
Only

One of the most commonly used terms on Catholic blogs is "CINO". So what is a "CINO"?

Simply put, it's an acronym for "Catholics In Name Only".

You surely know some CINO's. Thanks to 40 years of dumbed-down catechesis, suspended discipline and unauthorized liturgical experimentation, most Catholics probably are CINO's. For the younger Catholics who never knew any different, their ignorance may be their salvation. For the older Catholics who learned about their faith in the days when it was actually taught, I tremble.

HOW TO RECOGNIZE A "CINO"

There's no universal standard for CINO's but a few common traits seem to be shared by most of them:

• They believe that most other religions, including Protestant religions, are just "other paths" to God and are equally valid.

• They have no idea what it means to be in a state of grace, hence they can miss Mass for years and happily go to Holy Commmunion with no pangs of conscience.

• They seldom, if ever, go to confession.

• They don't believe premarital sex, masturbation or homosexual activity is a sin.

• They don't care if a priest is violating his vows of celibacy, as long as he is "nice".

• They don't believe in the Real Presence of the Eucharist.

• They believe that enjoying a good life on earth is far more important than getting to Heaven.

• They have never read one document from Vatican II in its entirety, but are certain that Vatican II was a brand new starting point that erased the past and created a "new Church".

• They are pro-choice, because, after all, "Who are we to impose our morality on someone else?"

• Their children use Confirmation as the "exit sacrament" and don't return to Mass much more until they get married.

• They return to Mass long enough to get married in the Church, then they leave until they have children and want them baptized.

• After they baptize their children, they seldom attend Mass, until they want to enroll their children in the parish school. Then watch how "generous" they become in tithing.

• They don't notice liturgical abuses. In fact, they love them if such abuses make them feel important.

• The two days of the year that they are most likely to attend Mass are Christmas and Easter, making it impossible for faithful Catholics to find a place to sit. This is when they are called "Poinsettia and Lily Catholics".

This is the current state of our faith.

Is it any wonder so many Catholics voted for the most pro-abortion, under-experienced presidential candidate in our history? Is it any wonder that so many bishops have gotten away with hiding so many bad priests?

--------------And as long as we only have 'feel-good' sermons on fluff love and never tough love and 'welcome everyone to the table' and sing about how wonderful and great we are, things are not going to change much.
  • Arnold Schwarzneger
  • John Kerry
  • Nancy Pelosi
  • various bishops
  • Sisters in comfortable habits
  • Brothers who study healing arts
Mario Cuomo
Andrew Cuomo
Ted Kennedy
Robt Kennedy Jr
Carolyn Kennedy
(Oh, hell, all of the Kennedys)
Bill Richardson
Bob Casey Jr
Doug Kmiec
Kathleen Sebelius
University Presidents who Invite Pro Abortion Politicians to Receive Awards

If my extended family, that of my wife's, and friends/coworkers/acquaiintences are any indication, the majority of those who all themselves Catholics are CINOs. That goes for the clergy at their respective parishes (if they bother to have one), too, sadly enough. 
I disagree with Christmas and Easter being the 2 days a year they go to mass. I've never had problems finding seating on either of these days.

For some reason it is Ash Wednesday that these people come out of the woodwork. I suppose it is something about having that little outward sign that says, "LOOK AT ME. I WENT TO MASS TODAY! I'M SUCH A GOOD CATHOLIC, RIGHT?!" Maybe I'm just bitter because even if I arrive 20 minutes early to an Ash Wednesday mass, I find myself in standing-room-only out by the sidewalk.
Paloma Wrote:I disagree with Christmas and Easter being the 2 days a year they go to mass. I've never had problems finding seating on either of these days.

For some reason it is Ash Wednesday that these people come out of the woodwork. I suppose it is something about having that little outward sign that says, "LOOK AT ME. I WENT TO MASS TODAY! I'M SUCH A GOOD CATHOLIC, RIGHT?!" Maybe I'm just bitter because even if I arrive 20 minutes early to an Ash Wednesday mass, I find myself in standing-room-only out by the sidewalk.

It is amazing how they think Ash Wednesday is a Holy Day of Obligation.

LOL at Lily Catholics.  I got to use that one.
LOL I agree totally about Ash Wednesday. Maybe they like the little cross on their head or maybe they actually like the fact that it isn't a holy day of obligation. I was actually a little suprised it isn' just based on the fact that Mass is more crowded then than on those holy days when people are actually required to go to Mass.

Also, with Christmas and Easter you can at least kind of give people that you don't recognise the benefit of the doubt that they might just be visiting family or whatever.
Tulkas Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:I disagree with Christmas and Easter being the 2 days a year they go to mass. I've never had problems finding seating on either of these days.

It is amazing how they think Ash Wednesday is a Holy Day of Obligation.

LOL at Lily Catholics.  I got to use that one.

To go a little farther, I have heard them referred to as "PAPAL Catholics":  Palm Ashes Poinsettas And Lillies -- a combination of the "happy" holy days with the outward sign holy days. 
QUOTE]
They believe that most other religions, including Protestant religions, are just "other paths" to God and are equally valid.
[/QUOTE]

Since my (paternal grandpa was Jewish, and my mother Lutheran I grown up on that way (finishing 6 years of pre VII quite conservative theology) that non Catholics has their valid ways for the salvation. Not equal (because of the lack of the confession or other sacraments) but valid way, less resources ==> less responsibility. The judgments belong to God.

Quote:• They don't care if a priest is violating his vows of celibacy, as long as he is "nice".

I had the chance to check parochial annals from the 19th century. The dean of the priest visited every year the parishes, and made notes. Typical note: "Is the pastor religious? Yes he is. Does he has children? He has three." The judgement belongs to God, not to us.

Quote:• They are pro-choice, because, after all, "Who are we to impose our morality on someone else?"

I am not pro choice, and belive that the abortion is sin, but strictly belive since God shines his sun for everyone, we can pray, fast, abstain from the sex for the wretched woman, but we should not hit the poison ivy by someone elses genitals. We are responsible for ourselves fully, for our family in some level, but not for the rest of the world, about what we could not care. We have no right to judge anybody, the judgement belongs to God.

(In parenthesis I also belive that if someone voted for McCain with his no fault divorce, approval for unjust war, approval of the envitonmental irresponsibility; he/she is as much violated the rule for the responsible voting, as those who voted for Obama. I voted only for the local referenda, no for politicians who sold themselves before the election.)

laszlo

Great article.  If I posted this to my Facebook account all of my "friends/alums" from my all boy Benedictine high school would verbally crucify me!

Pages: 1 2