FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Holy Saturday Fast?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<style></style>I saw a parish schedule for Holy Saturday that reads, "If possible, continue the fast and abstinence of Good Friday."  I know that this is not canonically binding, but what is the tradition (or traditions) for a Holy Saturday fast? 
Miquelot Wrote:I saw a parish schedule for Holy Saturday that reads, "If possible, continue the fast and abstinence of Good Friday."  I know that this is not canonically binding, but what is the tradition (or traditions) for a Holy Saturday fast?

I've not known two Christians who do the same thing on Holy Saturday. Some fast until the Vigil (or Vespers I they can't make it), some fast only through None. Since the real "work" of Lent is over by Holy Saturday, some don't fast at all. It varies.
Miquelot Wrote:<style></style>I saw a parish schedule for Holy Saturday that reads, "If possible, continue the fast and abstinence of Good Friday."  I know that this is not canonically binding, but what is the tradition (or traditions) for a Holy Saturday fast? 

Before the New Rite for hebdomodae sanctae (middle fifties) the lent and fasting finished with the tenebrae mass at late morning Saturday, and fasting-abstinece ended at noon. Food baskets were blessed and the joy of resurrection was anticipated.

Today officially (by the order of the Bishops) in the US and many other countries the fasting ends an midnight of Friday
When I was little my father would unplug the television for all of Lent. After noon on Holy Saturday it was allowed back on. Because of that I always assumed that Lent ended on Holy Saturday.
 As to the times of fast, when the Pius XII Holy Week came in, the time for fast was changed from noon on Holy Saturday to midnight of Holy Saturday-in other words, it was extended twelve hours.  I believe it was because it wouldn't make sense to break a fast before the Easter vigil had passed.  In actuality, the revision extended the time for doing penace. 

Joe