FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: All images of saints covered by purple
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yesterday I noticed that all the statues of the saints and the Holy Family were covered by large, pruple sheets at my FSSPX-church. I never saw that in my own N.O.-parish nor did I read about that in my old missals. Can somebody explain me the why behind this? It certainly impressed me a lot.
At this time Jesus hid from the Jews until His triumphant return into Jerusalem.

This symbolizes this and adds to the solemnity of Lent.

It is a shame that this practice like so many others has been dropped.
we do this in my church too, its a lent thing.
didishroom Wrote:It is a shame that this practice like so many others has been dropped.

It is. More so since the revised liturgy did not get rid of the practice.

In the old Kalandar the veiling of statues began last Sunday, and will last for two weeks. In the new liturgy statues are covered starting on Palm Sunday and going for one week. However, there is permission to cover statues for two full weeks if NO parishes wish to do so.
The covering of the statues is also to hid from view any source of joy, so that one may completly concentrate on the Passion.  Even the Crucifix is covered because although it is a sign of Christ's Passion, it also is a great symbol of hope and joy.
Yes, holy images are covered in purple for Lent. I don't know why anyone wouldn't do that for Lent.

(sigh)
Credo Wrote:
didishroom Wrote:It is a shame that this practice like so many others has been dropped.

It is. More so since the revised liturgy did not get rid of the practice.

In the old Kalandar the veiling of statues began last Sunday, and will last for two weeks. In the new liturgy statues are covered starting on Palm Sunday and going for one week. However, there is permission to cover statues for two full weeks if NO parishes wish to do so.

If you have statues in your house, is it a good idea to cover them as well? I have a statue of St. Michael, of Our Lady, and of Jesus, plus a crucifix hanging above them.

Covering the statues puts emphasis on Christ's Passion, as the Stations of the Cross remain uncovered.
didishroom Wrote:At this time Jesus hid from the Jews until His triumphant return into Jerusalem.

This symbolizes this and adds to the solemnity of Lent.

It is a shame that this practice like so many others has been dropped.

Many NO parishes do not have statues anymore...so there is nothing to cover.
Munda_cor_meum Wrote:If you have statues in your house, is it a good idea to cover them as well? I have a statue of St. Michael, of Our Lady, and of Jesus, plus a crucifix hanging above them.

Sure, go for it. It will put one more in tune with the prayer of the Church, the liturgy.
Pages: 1 2 3