FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Human Nature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are humans by nature good or evil? (That is, according to Catholicism)
Fallen.
We have imperfect wills (ie, we can change our minds, and not really fully will something). 
Humans, by nature, are good. God creates only good. He gave us free will, and it was abused and the result is that we are fallen in nature and inclined to stray (be bad).
There are some (other philosophies) who feel humans are good or evil by nature, but they are missing the point, that we have a choice, and all good comes from God. Following our own will, instead of God's, is evil. 
Rosarium Wrote:Fallen.
We have imperfect wills (ie, we can change our minds, and not really fully will something). 
Humans, by nature, are good. God creates only good. He gave us free will, and it was abused and the result is that we are fallen in nature and inclined to stray (be bad).
There are some (other philosophies) who feel humans are good or evil by nature, but they are missing the point, that we have a choice, and all good comes from God. Following our own will, instead of God's, is evil. 

So does that mean that we are, by nature, inclined to evil? This is all very fascinating to me.
We are not inclined to evil by nature.  By nature we are inclined to good.  But we are not in a state of pure nature.  Original sin is something beyond human nature as such, and original sin weakens/impairs/wounds nature by introducing concupiscence.  By nature we are inclined toward that which is naturally good, by original sin we are inclined toward that which is evil.  Grace is necessary to overcome original sin and concupiscence and to attain that which is good.  Grace also gives us access to supernatural goods, such as friendship with God, which nature could not attain even were it not impaired by original sin.
The Catholic Church does not teach the "Total Depravity" of man - not even in our fallen state - as the Calvinists do. As a punishment for sin we lost our preternatural gifts. Our free will and intellect is "weakened" due to the Fall.  - Lisa
Quote:So does that mean that we are, by nature, inclined to evil? This is all very fascinating to me.
Evil is somewhat defined by intent. The more we are given by God, the more that is expected.
It is hard to say what is the baseline of grace to those who have not revelation. (Once people are informed though, it is a different story. One cannot plead ignorance if they should know it).
It is up to God to judge of course; He knows.
If we turn away from what is given (God's grace) we are definately inclinded to do evil. 
EDIT: Much of what I write is my thoughts, except the first declaration we have a fallen will and need God.
Rosarium Wrote:
Quote:So does that mean that we are, by nature, inclined to evil? This is all very fascinating to me.
Evil is somewhat defined by intent. The more we are given by God, the more that is expected.

If we turn away from what is given (God's grace) we are definately inclinded to do evil. 

That is only logical.
DeMaistre Wrote:(That is, according to Catholicism)

Why should this matter? One presumes such a question demands an objective, catholic (i.e.: applies to all men in all times) answer.
Credo, I think he's just asking what the Church's teaching on human nature is.
Credo Wrote:
DeMaistre Wrote:(That is, according to Catholicism)

Why should this matter? One presumes such a question demands an objective, catholic (i.e.: applies to all men in all times) answer.
credo calm down...DeMaistre is a fine fellow with sincere questions... 
Pages: 1 2