FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: God bless His All-Holiness the (true) Archbishop of Constantinople
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know about you guys but I have been bummed ever since, 40 years before my birth, the Holy See has decided to leave the (titular) See of the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople vacant, but fear not, for the brave Christian (well mostly un-Christian but I suppose there was some good ones) warriors of the Fourth Crusade did not give their lives up in vain to end the schism restore the great church to the True Faith! DEUS VULT!

For behold, God grant many years to his Beatitude, Archbishop
Hovhannes Tcholakian of Constantinople (Armenian Rite), who at the grand age of 89 is the oldest known active Catholic bishop in the world. His birthday is April 12, so early [Image: hbd.gif]
[Image: tchola2.jpg]

PS For those of you who do not know, "Archbishop" was first officially used for the Bishop of Constantinople because it was the Imperial Capital. And is still technically the official title for the Greek Orthodox patriarch of Constantinople.

The title of "patriarch" was used as a nickname of sorts for various Sees until the Byzantine Emperor made it an official title and restricted its use for the Greek Sees of Antioch, Jerusalem and Constantinople and later for the Greek bishop of Alexandria once the Coptic Church and its Pope went into schism.

Catholic Hierarchy has Bishop Hong Yong-ho as the oldest current active bishop (he's 102).

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/s75.html

Either way, he certainly needs prayers.  He's running a diocese when most men would have retired years ago.

Very awesome! Long life to him. And his birthday is Easter this year, how cool is that?!
By the title I thought the Greek Orthodox had invaded the forum.
Stefan Wrote:For behold, God grant many years to his Beatitude, Archbishop Hovhannes Tcholakian of Constantinople (Armenian Rite), who at the grand age of 89 is the oldest known active Catholic bishop in the world. His birthday is April 12, so early [Image: hbd.gif][Image: tchola2.jpg]
Hey, April 12 is also my birthday and he has a similar name to mine as well, what coincidences.

Quote:PS For those of you who do not know, "Archbishop" was first officially used for the Bishop of Constantinople because it was the Imperial Capital. And is still technically the official title for the Greek Orthodox patriarch of Constantinople.
Constantinople was not even one of the original Patriarchates, which were Rome, Alexandria and Antioch. Constantinople become one in 381 and Jerusalem in 451.

Quote:The title of "patriarch" was used as a nickname of sorts for various Sees until the Byzantine Emperor made it an official title and restricted its use for the Greek Sees of Antioch, Jerusalem and Constantinople and later for the Greek bishop of Alexandria once the Coptic Church and its Pope went into schism.
The Byzantine Emperor? Emperors have no such authority, they're secular leaders. Only the Holy See of Rome has such authority. I think you got bad information from somewhere.
GodFirst Wrote:[The Byzantine Emperor? Emperors have no such authority, they're secular leaders. Only the Holy See of Rome has such authority. I think you got bad information from somewhere.

Nope, they ran the show back then, as a matter of fact "Ecumenical Council" really means "Imperial Council" and the first seven were actually summoned by the Eastern Roman Emperor (Byzantine Emperor) and approved by the Pope of Rome afterwards. It was the Byzantine Emperor who ran the Eastern Church and appointed the patriarchs of Constantinople (who in turn appointed the patriarchs of Antioch and Jerusalem.) A lot of papal theological disagreements between the Latin and Greek Churches were because of the Byzantine Emperor being a spiritual rival of sorts to the pope.

When you get some free time look up caesaropapism.
MeaMaximaCulpa,

The "Catholic Hierarchy" website doesn't supply enough info. re:  Bishop Hong Yong-Ho.  First, the website mistakenly places Pyongyang in South Korea.  It is in North Korea.  Because of the Communist tyranny there, no one has known of Bishop Hong Yong-Ho's fate since 1949:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Hong_Yong-ho

The Vatican lists him as active instead of as "dead" (which would be most likely at this point) in order to keep his memory alive and to protest the persecution of the Church in North Korea.  I do hope he's still alive and still ministering to his flock, but the Armenian Archbishop of Constantinople is the oldest active bishop whose status can be confirmed.
As Archbishop of Constantinople for the Armenian Catholics, I don't think he carries the title of "His All-Holiness".  I think that's reserved for the (Byzantine) patriarch.