FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: for those who excersize what is your workout routine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well upon my triumphal return to the glorious motherland (Mother of God protect and bless her!) next november I plan on having a six pack, so far I'm making some progress but have a way to go, fortunately I am not overweight at all just need the muscle mass.

this is what I have been doing daily,
1.5-2.5 mile run, sit ups and push ups until exhausted

So for comparison sake I would like to see what you guys do 
What is your current physical state (BMI would help along with general description)?
Quote:1.5-2.5 mile run, sit ups and push ups until exhausted
If you do this you will not get any muscle mass beyond what you get in six weeks. You'll most likely lose some muscle in the process.
Exercising until exhaustion is also ineffective.
A "six pack" requires genetics (I have an "eight pack", six is average, some have as few as four distinctions) and low body fat. Low body fat is best tackled with diet while trying to build muscle. 
For just mass, work your entire body with heavy weight. The most basic equipment easily obtained would be a barbell or a dumbell. A program of low rep sets with multiple sets of clean and jerks and strict pullups should transform you rather quickly.

Stefan Wrote:Well upon my triumphal return to the glorious motherland (Mother of God protect and bless her!) next november I plan on having a six pack, so far I'm making some progress but have a way to go, fortunately I am not overweight at all just need the muscle mass.

this is what I have been doing daily,
1.5-2.5 mile run, sit ups and push ups until exhausted

So for comparison sake I would like to see what you guys do 

You've come to America, from Europe, and are going to get in shape?

Something is backwards here....

[Image: wink.gif]

Edit:
To be slightly useful...
Although I don't work out (to my detriment), my friend (who's Polish, for what it's worth) at the Air Force Academy suggested that I do some running, some sit-ups, and some push-ups.

So, if I were going to start working out (which I probably should start doing...), I'd start off with that.

If you can afford it, or you have access to one (you're studying in the USA, right?), go to a gym, and do some weight lifting.  Bench presses are the ones that stand out in my mind.  In addition to that, do some pull-ups. 

My father has this workout routine:
Stretch
Bench-press
Leg curls (I forget what they are called, basically you lay on your stomach on a machine, and pull your legs up and back, to touch your butt)
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Then some free weight lifting (single arm curls)

He's in pretty decent shape.

The key, of course, to working out like that is taking your time, proper form, and stretching. 
According to a google search at 5'11'' and 160 my bmi is 22.3, but it was probably like 25 before Lent

as for my "six pack" (every male in my family is at least 30 years my senior with beer bellies so I have no idea how many packs I have lol) thanks for the advice, I do have weights and pull up bar but thanks to American luxaries like xbox 360 and cable I rarely use them, but your post Rosarium was quite helpful I'm actually going to go dust off my weights and do some reps after I get done typing. But how do you do a clean and a jerk?

CollegeCatholic Wrote:You've come to America, from Europe, and are going to get in shape?

Something is backwards here....

[Image: wink.gif]
[Image: laff.gif] well these days we eat pretty well, plus the city dosen't produce people in good shape compared to the countryside

CollegeCatholic Wrote:Edit:
To be slightly useful...
Although I don't work out (to my detriment), my friend (who's Polish, for what it's worth) at the Air Force Academy suggested that I do some running, some sit-ups, and some push-ups.

So, if I were going to start working out (which I probably should start doing...), I'd start off with that.

If you can afford it, or you have access to one (you're studying in the USA, right?), go to a gym, and do some weight lifting. Bench presses are the ones that stand out in my mind. In addition to that, do some pull-ups.

My father has this workout routine:
Stretch
Bench-press
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Then some free weight lifting (single arm curls)

He's in pretty decent shape.

The key, of course, to working out like that is taking your time, proper form, and stretching.

thanks! I like running a lot (it was really hard at first but now it is not so bad you actually feel really good when you are done, that is after feeling like you are going to die from lack of air stops), so I think I am still going to do that - the one thing not in my routine is wieght lifting and pull ups, both of which I'm going to start.

CollegeCatholic Wrote:Leg curls (I forget what they are called, basically you lay on your stomach on a machine, and pull your legs up and back, to touch your butt)
hmmm I'm going to try these too

peace people I must build my muscles so will not be on again tonight, thanks for advice and every one have a happy Easter!
wait! before I log I must ask, how do you like Germany? And what state are you in?
Quote:Bench presses are the ones that stand out in my mind.
Never do bench presses. It is an unnatural move. Move your body as a single unit as it was designed.
Don't use machines either, unless you are recovering from injury under the instruction of a physical therapist.
For how to do a clean and jerk (on second thought, stick to push presses, not a true jerk)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercise...+And+Press
Quote:Leg curls (I forget what they are called, basically you lay on your stomach on a machine, and pull your legs up and back, to touch your butt)
A useless and possibly dangerous lift.
I'll explain later, must go.
Cleaning will work those muscles better than any amount of curling and in a useful way too.
If you're going to lift, squats and dead-lifts are king(s). pull-ups, dumbell presses' as well as dumbell bench presses, are also a good idea. Take it slow, and watch your form. If you can, work with a trainer, at least until you get yor form down.

I'll post an alternative to lifting later.
I've never been big on most gym-type stuff...and then since I messed up my back five years ago I haven't been allowed to by doctors. The one thing that has helped my back is riding horses because it has made my core stronger. Most core exercises bother my back and also hurt my ribs (which are kind of seperated off of my soft tissue from the same accident that messed up my back) but riding doesn't to yay. At least it hurts to do the stuff I hate and not the sport I love, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 4