FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Best Pizza
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(09-02-2010, 09:00 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Walty, it's my age. That's how they started in 1954.  ;D
tim

Started?

Pizza was around before that wasn't it?
Not really, at least not the way we think of pizza.

It was brought to America after WWII by returning GI's and Americanized after that.  It wasn't until the 1950's that we invented the modern conception of pizza pie.
And it was the super thing stuff?  Ehh.  Boring.  Deep dish means more bread, more cheese, more pepperoni.  Seems easy enough to me.
(09-15-2010, 09:51 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]And it was the super thing stuff?  Ehh.  Boring.  Deep dish means more bread, more cheese, more pepperoni.  Seems easy enough to me.
Oh, no, Walty. Thin can be sooooo good. Have you tried Ledo's since you've been in the area? Definitely worth it.
(09-15-2010, 10:07 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2010, 09:51 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]And it was the super thing stuff?  Ehh.  Boring.  Deep dish means more bread, more cheese, more pepperoni.  Seems easy enough to me.
Oh, no, Walty. Thin can be sooooo good. Have you tried Ledo's since you've been in the area? Definitely worth it.

No.  I've heard of it though.  I heard Matchbox and Ella's were two of the best in the area.  I had both of those and was kind of unimpressed.
(09-15-2010, 10:07 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, no, Walty. Thin can be sooooo good. Have you tried Ledo's since you've been in the area? Definitely worth it.

No way, Ledo's is terrible.
(09-15-2010, 10:57 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2010, 10:07 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, no, Walty. Thin can be sooooo good. Have you tried Ledo's since you've been in the area? Definitely worth it.

No way, Ledo's is terrible.
Aw, no, them's fightin' words, Chris.
(09-16-2010, 06:50 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]Aw, no, them's fightin' words, Chris.

We used to have a guy who worked here, and he loved Ledo's, so we'd go there sometimes.  It was just so unimpressive.  It was thin, but not even the crispy kind of of thin.  They cut it in these weird little rectangles that were only a few bites each.  And the sauce was sweet or tangy or something.  I mean, it wasn't terrible in itself.  I would go if everyone was going there.  But I'd rather get pizza almost anywhere else.

How about Bertucci's?  That's a pretty good pizza place.  A little fancier.
The pizzas ancestors are the Margherita from Naples and the Guderone from Sicily. The Margherita is very thin with sparse toppings. It's for the purist. The Guderone (I'm not sure on the spelling I have to sound out the words in Sicilan) is a thicker flat bread with tomato sauce painted on it and oregano and Incanestrato cheese sprinkled sparsely over it and anchovies drilled into the dough.
tim
I like European pretentiousness and snobbery as much as the next guy, but I can't deny the fact that I'm just a dude from Wisconsin.  Every time I think of pizza the first thing that comes to mind is Pizza Hut stuffed-crust and a liter of Mountain Dew.  Even better when just sitting around watching Jurassic Park or something.  Man, those were the days.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17