FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Funeral Mass rant!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This really grinds my gears. At a funeral Mass today(NO so it wasn't a requiem) for a family friend the Priest made a joke at the end that was in bad taste. The funeral was for a well known woman who owned a huge organic farm probably half our city got vegetables from her and everyone was invited to the Mass. Since my family actualy knew her we went. The Priest explained what was going on step by step since many people there werent Catholic and at the end of Mass with all her family and friends crying etc. this Priest goes "Now the only thing missing to make this a normal Mass is the collection plates Ha Ha." No one thought it was funny least of all the family. When the Priest realized that it was quiet enough you could hear a pin drop he got a look of indignance and began the procession with a real sour look.
What a goon he just needed a top hat and cane. Since when did it become appropriate to joke at a funeral?
I'm sorry.

I absolutely HATE funeral Masses. I've never been to a Requiem Mass, but these Novus Ordo funerals make me want to puke.  The last one I went to was a "wake"-style Mass for a deceased Brother of the Sacred Heart who taught Latin and Physics in high school.  It was in our town's cathedral, and it was a giant hootenanny.  I don't mean to judge others there but I can't see how anybody else there was actively trying to pray for his soul - unless they pray by talking and laughing loudly.

Then the deacon, during his turn to speak parts of the Eucharistic Prayer (at least it wasn't a children's E. Prayer), basically canonized the poor Brother by treating him like a Saint interceding for us!
Why should people pray for the dead if the priests don't tell them they have an obligation to?  Last time I checked, praying for the dead was one of the spiritual works of mercy.  But the people can't do anything if the priests won't teach them. The Church doesn't need comedians, we need priests who will preach the Truth.
Baskerville Wrote:Since when did it become appropriate to joke at a funeral?

The joke was imprudent.

I know from personal experience, however, that when I'm in a somber or sad situation in public I will often start smiling or start giggling. I really can't explain it. The priest was probably nervous (especially since there were a lot of people there). Maybe his joke was coping mechanism.

Try to imagine the emotional rollercoaster a priest must ride everyday. One moment he's on a sublime plain, contemplating his Office. Then someone calls up from the hospital to ask for Last Rites. Then some random guy puts the priest on the defensive asking about some point of the Faith. Then back to the Divine Office. Then a man coughs up twenty or thirty years of sins, and changes his entire life with one afternoon Confession. Then the priest celebrates the great mystery of the Mass, where God himself comes down on the alter. Then back to the Divine Office. Then the priest finds himself doing mindless paperwork for hours on end. Then marriage counselling (which can and, sadly, does go either way). Then a Baptism where the priest get to hold in his hands a new child of God (however old chronologically). Then a funeral. Then back to the Divine Office. Wrap this all up with the fact that priests are well aware the vast majority of men, including believers, have little or no appreciation for the work a priest does. With all these ups and downs it's no wonder that so many priests are nuts. I've spoken to so many priests who are discouraged. Men who've given their entire lives to the Church and wonder at the end of the day what good it did. Let's cut them a little slack once in a while.
Stephanos Wrote:I've never been to a Requiem Mass

While I will not wish the occasion on you, if you have the chance to attend a Requiem Mass, do so. Like so much of the traditional Liturgy (even the Novus Ordo if properly done, which it never is), it's an absolute work of art.
Credo, that's a great post.  We tend to forget what others go through in their daily work/ life.  I'm sure that priests, like police, EMTs, soldiers, etc., tend to go through an emotional roller-coaster, as they go through their day.
(04-17-2009, 09:53 PM)Stephanos Wrote: [ -> ]Then the deacon, during his turn to speak parts of the Eucharistic Prayer (at least it wasn't a children's E. Prayer), basically canonized the poor Brother by treating him like a Saint interceding for us!

Thats the other thing the Priest talked about the communion of saints and how her spirit was with us and that even if she didn't get last rites her sins were forgiven and she was "up above on that shining mountain". I didn't know you were automaticly canonized. The whole thing was surreal he then talked about how little kids believe in ghosts and the deceased's spirit was with us. Gimme a break.