FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Trad Dating/Marriage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Throughout the years when I’ve talked to clergy and laymen about how different the Church was prior to Vatican II, somewhere in the conversation I’ve reached a moment where I would be transported back to the described situation: a packed to the gills church on a Sunday – the Traditional Mass a norm – people voting and living as Catholics. 

However, when it comes to dating in the Post Vatican II era, I am often the adult explaining to my older friends and family that this isn’t my grandma’s, or even my mother’s, courtship anymore. 

Read the rest of the article here:

http://truerestoration.blogspot.com/2009...ating.html
Don't believe that everything used to be perfect.  Granted they  probably have gotten worse, but dwelling on a begone era could lead to the deadly sin of despair.

J.M.J.
It's a terrible situation. Traditional women who are single are insufferably snobby - or they're really nice, but they're already married, engaged or not wanting to date at the present time.

Take it from The Dubliners: don't get married.

The Dubliners Dont Get Married -
(04-19-2009, 03:05 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]It's a terrible situation. Traditional women who are single are insufferably snobby - or they're really nice, but they're already married, engaged or not wanting to date at the present time.

The problem with that statement is it reflect poorly on the speaker. Basically, the singles are snobby and the nice ones are married. These nice ones are married to guys (we presume), so for a guy, there must be suitable matches out there. That means all the singles are the undesirables...

[quote='Credo' pid='354647' dateline='1240167955']
It's a terrible situation. Traditional women who are single are insufferably snobby - or they're really nice, but they're already married, engaged or not wanting to date at the present time.

That's not true.

But if it were, then I suppose it would be from all the stress caused by the expectations of the single Trad men -

Observe.... from the " Why are all the women blah blah blah" thread:

"That's because all the other Trad guys already have it all figured out. They want a girl who is:

1. Educated but untainted by a university.
2. Beautiful but who never gives a thought to her appearance.
3. Lively and entertaining but completely passive and submissive.
4. Very young but very mature.
5. Fragile and otherworldly but who can who can raise twelve kids while dad works a minimum-wage job.
6. Holy and pure but in every way as interesting and exciting as a modern girl."

So - a brainiac, beautiful, meek clown in a delicate condition that has the stamina to care for a pile of kids that are apparently only slightly younger than she is.

Oh, and she should probably learn to ride a unicycle for a little excitement.

I don't know - maybe they're not so much insufferably snobby as just plain old schizophrenic.

Sticking tongue out at you
(04-19-2009, 03:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]That means all the singles are the undesirables...

I can buy that.
Wow, this guy lives in my town. I didn't know there were OP trads. Nifty. That said, I think his Austen comparisons were terrible, but he does make great points. When the Catholic family—scratch that, the family in general—is in crisis like it is nowadays, we don't really have the luxury of looking for a "perfect match", if such a thing exists at all.
(04-19-2009, 03:42 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2009, 03:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]That means all the singles are the undesirables...

I can buy that.

A single?
I don't think a female would want to be with a mysogynistic idealist who dreams of a pretty statue to stare at all day.
You have to be a misogynist for this statement to apply to you.(Yeah, that's right, Maximilian and Telemaque)
This is a very interesting article. The author made some very good points. Unfortunately nowadays, we have so many different factors involved that make dating for anyone a challenge. I would like to share my particular situation:
I am a 41 y.o. single female. I have a teenage son who lives with my parents. They are all of a different faith and I'm the "black sheep" of the family. It doesn't help that last year after searching and praying for many years, the Lord lead me to the Catholic faith. I knew immediately however that I could not assist the NO mass. When I found the TLM, it was a blessing beyond anything I can explain to you. I love the Church and Mass so much I'd give anything to go to Mass each day but it's not available. I am also praying about marriage. But everyone at church is either already married, too young or too old sad

I have checked some dating websites always making sure to state that I am a Catholic (not formerly yet but I have accepted the faith therefore I am), I assist Mass weekly and whenever it's offered (1st Friday and Saturday, etc.), I don't party, smoke, am not promiscuous or a serial dater, etc. I have gotten responses from men who "say" they're Catholic. And the first thing they want to do is "hook up". Celibacy is out of the question for them until marriage because they want to sample the goods. They don't go to Mass, confession or do anything that remotely resembles being a Catholic. Then they ones that do go to Mass on occasion love to party and get drunk.

Folks, believe me: I'm not a prude. I do enjoy life (some travel when possible, going to the beach, walks, eating out, spending time outdoors and doing things). But I place God and the Church first in my life. I would hope to meet someone like-minded. Unfortunately it's not looking like it's going to happen. Even the one person who I really thought could be the "one" (introduced me to traditionalism and talked to me for hours on end about the church, liturgy, etc.) turned out to have been also involved with another woman while "dating" me. We had talked about marriage in the future, adopting children (I can't have any for medical reasons), etc. He appeared to be sent from God except for a few vices which I won't go into.  Then a few months into the relationship, I "confided" with great "sadness" that the "HOLY SPIRIT" (blasphemy but he's "more" devout than anyone) was giving him a choice to make between the two of us and he just couldn't choose. So I ended it.

So it's not so simple as there aren't good men or women out there. I believe there are. Maybe we're just not living in the right areas? or people don't have their priorities in order. I just wish people would stop calling themselves Catholics who are not really living a true Catholic life. That way, it would help weed out the ones who are available and willing to do what is right.

God bless you.
Pages: 1 2 3