FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Confraternity of Christian Mothers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Anyone know anything about these ladies?

I was just asked to attend a group that is forming in Atlanta.

If anyone has any experience/ knowledge about this group, please let me know.

Thanks -
Nah! But the bike doesn't make you look fat; I have the same problem though,  all the pasta asciutta  e buro o olio goes right to my...
(04-20-2009, 12:18 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]
Anyone know anything about these ladies?

I was just asked to attend a group that is forming in Atlanta.

If anyone has any experience/ knowledge about this group, please let me know.

Thanks -

Apparently  they are attached  to a sedevacantist organization

http://www.stjosephschurch.net/ccm.htm

http://www.stjosephschurch.net/

http://www.cmri.org/cmri.htm

I got suspicious by the name, for me fratres = brothers are males.  Also our time is not to rule the world, but to take the cross

[quote]
Thanks, glgas -

But confraternity can be used for both sexes, i.e. we are all brothers in Christ, etc.

And I didn't mind this at all - except for that first line.... that's why I'm asking here, because that one little line really bugs me.

What the heck is that?!

Anyone know?

"Mothers rule the world
Mothers guide the destinies of the home and children. A mothers' influence is felt for all time and eternity. The world will never be better until mothers get closer to Jesus and Mary in their homes. God is relying on mothers to step up and keep Christ alive in the world by keeping Him alive in our hearts and homes. Through Mother Mary and her Confraternity you can accomplish this. Are you ready to accept this challenge?"
(04-20-2009, 12:31 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Nah! But the bike doesn't make you look fat; I have the same problem though,  all the pasta asciutta  e buro o olio goes right to my...

Thanks, timoose -  Wink

But that was actually Miss Vox' quote from that story that everybody was writing.

When I saw it, I felt such a rush of giddy admiration, that I had to adopt it as a sig line.

LOL
(04-20-2009, 02:10 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, glgas -

But confraternity can be used for both sexes, i.e. we are all brothers in Christ, etc.

And I didn't mind this at all - except for that first line.... that's why I'm asking here, because that one little line really bugs me.

What the heck is that?!

Anyone know?

"Mothers rule the world
Mothers guide the destinies of the home and children. A mothers' influence is felt for all time and eternity. The world will never be better until mothers get closer to Jesus and Mary in their homes. God is relying on mothers to step up and keep Christ alive in the world by keeping Him alive in our hearts and homes. Through Mother Mary and her Confraternity you can accomplish this. Are you ready to accept this challenge?"

On the one hand, it's true, on the other hand, it's a bit of rhetoric.  Mothers have extensive influence over the children and their homes.  Stay-at-home moms, extremely so.  I think it's beneficial that women realize they have this power in order to understand the magnitude of responsibility that comes with it.

I mean, really, for stay-at-home moms that have the "traditional" role they:
  • Decide what food goes in their families bodies
  • Serve as a constant example to children while dad is at work
  • Provide more instances of discipline, instruction, comfort, etc., in a given day than the father
  • Often decide what clothes the children wear (and sometimes for the husband, too)
  • Keep the house livable, homey, etc.  A place where people feel safe and loved.
  • Etc.

That's a lot of power over a family's destiny.  It may sound like "scut work" (as Vox calls it), but it is a constant influence over the house down to what goes into people's bodies.  It directly affects people at an intimate level; that is a different kind of power than being a CEO of a huge company where you can play with people's lives by firing them, etc., but it is power over other humans nevertheless, and one that has far-reaching consequences.

So, yes, in a sense, mothers do rule the world as stay-at-home moms.  And the children they raise may be the next CEO of a huge company with the other kind of power, so they influence those decisions as well, albeit indirectly.
I recently bought a ton of old pre-V2 books from a friend of mine whos been collecting them over the years, from convents that were shutting down and the like. I brought home a book that was simply entitled mother love.
The inside cover calls it 'A manual for Christian mothers' has Imprimatur Dec 1 1962.
It has tons of prayers and devotions and and instructions for Christian mothers.(loads of stuff about how to teach children delicate subjects, how to prepare them for Sacraments, how to timetable their day and the mothers too.)
It also details the origins and purpose of the Confraternity of Christian Mothers who obviously had the book published. It says it was set up in the 19th century in northern France, by a woman named Louise de Bilhelm, the wife of a court official.

"She heard of the pious wishes of a few Christian mothers who were solicitous about the welfare of their children and desirous of working together to attain the great end they had in view. Herself a mother, she could not but understand the reality of the fear with which, in our days, every truly Christian and conscientious mother's heart is filled. She could not resist the strong, innate desire of uniting these pious mothers, who, by assisting one another, would mutually care for the welfare of their children. With wonted activity and thoughtfulness she went to work. her noble undertaking was blessed; her endeavors were richly rewarded. Withing a short time the mothers were united in a holy league, and assisted one another by words and deeds and mutual prayers.
The first day of the beautiful month of may in 1850, the Christian mothers of Lille, France, assembled for the first time to pray with and for one another and their children, to discuss their problems and to advise one another regarding the Christian rearing of their children. This was the first union and the first public meeting of Christian mothers. The members of this incipient Confraternity of Christian Mothers were well aware that success would not crown their efforts unless they enjoyed the assistance and encouragement of those whom our divine Saviour has appointed as teachers and leaders of his faithful followers, and who alone were to administer his Sacraments and dispense his blessings. Accordingly, they entrusted their undertaking to their pastors. The fact that the societies of Christian Mothers originated with the mothers was a dispensation of Divine Providence. They are to be planted and nurtured by the mothers themselves; they are to  be the fruit of their sincerest and heartiest wishes for the welfare of their little ones.
After the Pastors were interested in the society and extended to it their protection, its propagation was astonishingly rapid. The society found its way into America at an early date, and on the 16th of January 1881 the Confraternity of Christian mothers canonically erected St.Augustines Church, 220 -37th St.,Pittsburgh 1, Pa., was raised to the rank of an Archconfraternity with the right of affiliating other confraternities.  "

...There is a ton of other stuff about the aim of the Confraternity and pages about the statutes. which include:

- to recite the daily prayer to the patrons of the confraternity and the tutelar saint of the parish and the special patrons of the mother.
- The should cherish a special love for one another
- Every month to offer communion for the other associates
-Assist one another whenever possible
- Assemble several times a year to listen to a conference and to offer up prayers
- It has various jobs/ranks in it
- They have a number of plenary indulgences attached to them

The reason I remembered it was because my wife was nearly crying when she began to read about it and realising it was no longer in existence (Does anyone know if it is in any part of the world- not the sedevacantist group)

Actually its an interesting topic about confraternities, what ever happened to them, the seem to have vanished! Another fruit of V2?

Thanks, Quis and trad -

I like the little that I've read - except the remark about Mothers ruling the world.

And Quis, believe me - I agree with everything that you wrote about moms - and I appreciate it, as I'm sure all of the moms on FE do.

I suppose what worried me here was not so much a "Dads are dumb, we need Moms to be in charge" type of thing.What made me question this was wondering  if this was a group with ( originally) good intentions that gradually evolved into something heretical - think clown Mass, I guess.

Kinda like we don't need God because we have angels - that kind of thing.

Oh, and trad? I'll post again after I find out more - but the group isn't meeting in an SSPX church.
This was true in the classical Roman times, and trough the Christian centuries: matrifamilias ruled the family and through that the world. Unfortunately by the introduction of the

- no fault divorces,  and

- women working outside of the homes

half of the children are living in single parent family or with step-parent, children  are raised in the schools, the regular food became fast food or factory praepared dishes, the home and the neighborhoods lost their safety

The power of the matrifamilias is successfully broken.

The first goal for any catholic organization should be the restitution of the family as basic unit of the society, not to 'rule the world' through the nonexistent families.  The homeschooling as resolution for the society is illusion. Very few can afford it, without outside control over the educational success of the children it could misfire in long term, and makes a false pretense, that the problems are resolved. We are social beings as much as individuals, with responsibility not only toward ourselves, but toward our nation and the whole world.

laszlo

(04-20-2009, 02:44 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]On the one hand, it's true, on the other hand, it's a bit of rhetoric.  Mothers have extensive influence over the children and their homes.  Stay-at-home moms, extremely so.  I think it's beneficial that women realize they have this power in order to understand the magnitude of responsibility that comes with it.

I mean, really, for stay-at-home moms that have the "traditional" role they:
  • Decide what food goes in their families bodies
  • Serve as a constant example to children while dad is at work
  • Provide more instances of discipline, instruction, comfort, etc., in a given day than the father
  • Often decide what clothes the children wear (and sometimes for the husband, too)
  • Keep the house livable, homey, etc.  A place where people feel safe and loved.
  • Etc.

That's a lot of power over a family's destiny.  It may sound like "scut work" (as Vox calls it), but it is a constant influence over the house down to what goes into people's bodies.  It directly affects people at an intimate level; that is a different kind of power than being a CEO of a huge company where you can play with people's lives by firing them, etc., but it is power over other humans nevertheless, and one that has far-reaching consequences.

So, yes, in a sense, mothers do rule the world as stay-at-home moms.  And the children they raise may be the next CEO of a huge company with the other kind of power, so they influence those decisions as well, albeit indirectly.
(04-20-2009, 08:19 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]This was true in the classical Roman times, and trough the Christian centuries: matrifamilias ruled the family and through that the world. Unfortunately by the introduction of the

- no fault divorces,  and

- women working outside of the homes

half of the children are living in single parent family or with step-parent, children  are raised in the schools, the regular food became fast food or factory praepared dishes, the home and the neighborhoods lost their safety

The power of the matrifamilias is successfully broken.

The first goal for any catholic organization should be the restitution of the family as basic unit of the society, not to 'rule the world' through the nonexistent families.  The homeschooling as resolution for the society is illusion. Very few can afford it, without outside control over the educational success of the children it could misfire in long term, and makes a false pretense, that the problems are resolved. We are social beings as much as individuals, with responsibility not only toward ourselves, but toward our nation and the whole world.

laszlo
This is a group formed in the 1800s, with the views of those in the 1800s. What did they know about no-fault divorce and virulent feminism? Even homeschooling was probably not much of a blip in their radars, but then, they didn't know about the present state of education, either.

So, no, they will not state that their goal is the "restoration" of the family, because that was not a problem back then. It is an organization to support women as wives and mothers, and the mothers rule the world phrase was just to let mothers know of their importance. Consider the influence of their mothers on many saints: St King Louis 9th, St Augustine, and many more.
Pages: 1 2