FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Christ did not die for the sins of the people": Head of German Catholic Bishops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/apr/09042107.html

FREIBURG, Germany April 21, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - According to the chairman of the Catholic bishops' conference of Germany, the death of Jesus Christ was not a redemptive act of God to liberate human beings from the bondage of sin and open the gates of heaven. The Archbishop of Freiburg, Robert Zollitsch, known for his liberal views, publicly denied the fundamental Christian dogma of the sacrificial nature of Christ's death in a recent interview with a German television station.

Zollitsch said that Christ "did not die for the sins of the people as if God had provided a sacrificial offering, like a scapegoat."

Instead, Jesus had offered only "solidarity" with the poor and suffering. Zollitsch said "that is this great perspective, this tremendous solidarity."

The interviewer asked, "You would now no longer describe it in such a way that God gave his own son, because we humans were so sinful? You would no longer describe it like this?"

Monsignor Zollitsch responded, "No."

Archbishop Robert Zollitsch was appointed to the See of Freiburg im Breisgau in 2003 under Pope John Paul II. He is he sitting Chairman of the German Episcopal Conference, to which he was elected in 2008 and is regarded as a "liberal" in the German episcopate.

In February 2008 he said that priestly celibacy should be voluntary and that it is not "theologically necessary." Zollitsch has also said he accepts homosexual civil unions by states, but is against same-sex "marriage."

He told Meinhard Schmidt-Degenhard, the program's host, that God gave "his own son in solidarity with us unto this last death agony to show: 'So much are you worth to me, I go with you, and I am totally with you in every situation'."

"He has become involved with me out of solidarity - from free will."

Christ, he said, had "taken up what I have been blamed for, including the evil that I have caused, and also to take it back into the world of God and hence to show me the way out of sin, guilt and from death to life."

However, Article 613 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the definitive work issued by the Church explaining the dogmas and doctrines of the Catholic religion, describes the death of Christ as "both the Paschal sacrifice that accomplishes the definitive redemption of men, through 'the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world', the sacrifice of the New Covenant, which restores man to communion with God by reconciling him to God through the 'blood of the covenant, which was poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins'."

The Catechism continues, "This sacrifice of Christ is unique; it completes and surpasses all other sacrifices. First, it is a gift from God the Father himself, for the Father handed his Son over to sinners in order to reconcile us with himself. At the same time it is the offering of the Son of God made man, who in freedom and love offered his life to his Father through the Holy Spirit in reparation for our disobedience."

To express concerns:

Congregation for Bishops
Giovanni Battista Re, Cardinal, Prefect
Palazzo della Congregazioni,
00193 Roma,
Piazza Pio XII, 10
Phone: 06.69.88.42.17
Fax: 06.69.88.53.03

Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
William Joseph Levada, Cardinal, Prefect
Piazza del S. Uffizio,
11, 00193
Roma, Italy
Phone: 06.69.88.33.57; 06.69.88.34.13
Fax: 06.69.88.34.09
With all charity and respect Your Excellency, look over your shoulder, the Devil is on your back.  :o  sad  You are in my prayers.
And the SSPX held back their ordinations to appease the likes of these guys?

I need a stake and a match and a ticket to Germany.

How Pope Benedict XVI deals with this very public challenge of the Religion of Man to the Faith, made by a very prominent, powerful and high-ranking bishop will be extremely telling. Public abjuration of heresy under threat of solemn excommunication is necessary.

The heresy publicly proclaimed by Archbishop Zollitsch is the same as that apparently held, and made public, by Fr. Joseph Ratzinger forty years ago. Forty years on, and as pope, the public response - or, perhaps, lack of one - will be very telling indeed as to which direction things are headed.

http://truerestoration.blogspot.com/2006...ssier.html

"H.L. It was when he was a priest. When he was a theologian, he professed heresies, he published a book full of heresies.

S.H. My lord, I need you to be more specific, so we can examine the matter.

H.L. Yes, sure. He has a book called Introduction to Christianity, it was in 1968. It is a book full of heresies. Especially the negation of the dogma of the Redemption.

S.H. In what sense, my lord?

H.L. He says that Christ did not satisfy for our sins – did not – atone – He, Jesus Christ, on the Cross, did not make satisfaction for our sins. This book denies Christ’s atonement of sins".
As the saying goes, I can't wait for the Archbishop's  "promotion" so he can answer to God for scattering his flock and allowing the wolves to have their feast.  I will be watching the Holy Father's response to these blasphemous statements.
(04-22-2009, 09:42 PM)angryirishman Wrote: [ -> ].  I will be watching the Holy Father's response to these blasphemous statements.

I can tell you what will happen nothing. THe Holy Father won't do anything its not his style he leaves or promotes (Niederauer Levada Mahony) in major sees and won't say squat when they pronounce heresy. Nothing short of an official revocation or excommunication is needed of this cleric. And I am supposed to not go to an SSPX church so I can be in full communion with a heretic. Huh?
He needs to be fish-smacked with an alligator gar.

Twice.
(04-22-2009, 11:41 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]He needs to be fish-smacked with an alligator gar.

Twice.
  LOL :o I like the way you think.  :o LOL
:o And this was the man who was questioning whether Bishop Williamson could be called Catholic? His Excellency plainly doesn't have the faith.

Germany is a wasteland. The Pope should place it under interdict, sack all the priests and bishops, and start over.

Consider this:

Quote:Libel
By RCon April 23, 2009 3:07 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)
How's your German, folks?

Have you seen any of the fuss about Freiburg archbishop Robert Zollitsch, the chairman of the German bishops' conference? A bunch of trad blogs have been accusing him of heresy since an interview he gave Holy Saturday. They say he denies the atonement, but it's a bum rap.

First kreuz.net posted the video of his interview.

In his response to the reporter -- who had good questions -- he was giving more or less the Eastern-church angle on the atonement vs. the Western (Anselmian?) substitutionary view.

[Christ] did not die for the sins of men because God needed a victim, that is, a scapegoat, for sin. He entered into solidarity with us men, with our suffering, even unto the end; and showed that in the suffering of man, every pain and even death is taken up by God and transfigured by God in His Son Jesus Christ.
The bishop's point was to reject an image of the atonement that portrays God the Father as vengeful while the God the Son is merciful.

But the kreuz.net writer, not knowing much about theology, didn't recognize what the bishop was getting at, and accused him of denying the atonement altogether.

Then CathCon mistranslated him and made his words into a denial:

For the Chairman of the German Bishops' Conference who has fallen away from the Catholic Faith, the crucifixion of Christ is just a psychological support in suffering. On Holy Saturday, the Archbishop of Freiburg and head of the German Bishops Conference, Msgr. Robert Zollitsch, denied the Expiatory Death of Christ.
Archbishop Zollitsch said this in an interview with Meinhard Schmidt-Degenhard on the program "Horizente" of the German TV station 'Hessischer Rundfunk',

Christ was "did not die for the sins of the people as if God had provided a sacrificial offering, like a scapegoat" - said the archbishop.

LifeSite picked it up (shame on them).

Now the hotheads at Rorate Caeli are piling on:

I posted a comment at Rorate, but it may never pass moderation. I've posted comments there several times to throw cold water on their outrage-talk, and they never let the correction see the light of day.

I think a bunch of people are, in their ignorance, committing libel.

Remember, folks, do not put too much stock in any translation you read in the press or on the Internet, until you can check the original language yourself.

Update: Credit where it's due: Rorate accepted my posted comment.

http://catholiclight.stblogs.org/
Pages: 1 2 3