FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Were there changes to the NO or did I miss the meeting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed lately at the two NO parishes I frequent (The TLM is so far away sad) that in the beginning parts, they're excluding the Confiteor (well, the venacular version of it) and the priests are skipping right from The Lord Be With You to the Kyrie then straight to the readings.

Any reason for this, and is it 'licit'?
I don't think I've ever been to a NO that had the Confiteor....  Huh?

lol, I don't know what the NO version is called, "I confess to Almight God and to you my Brother's and Sisters..." that prayer.
(04-27-2009, 05:09 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]lol, I don't know what the NO version is called, "I confess to Almight God and to you my Brother's and Sisters..." that prayer.

No, it's called the Confiteor, but I've been to NO Masses since they started, and I have never heard the Confiteor recited even though it is part of the NO Missal as far as I can remember (I was born in 69).  It hasn't been required since, I believe, an early revision of the GIRM in the 1970's.  I was too young to remember before that. Smile

For more information try EWTN or Catholic Answers.
(04-27-2009, 03:56 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]I've noticed lately at the two NO parishes I frequent (The TLM is so far away sad) that in the beginning parts, they're excluding the Confiteor (well, the venacular version of it) and the priests are skipping right from The Lord Be With You to the Kyrie then straight to the readings.

Any reason for this, and is it 'licit'?

A lot of the parts of the NO rubrics are "optional". Most priests have their own preferences. There are enough optional parts to make many permutations of the mass though.

I'm not really up on the rubrics, but I think if you read them, you'd see that most if not all of these differences are according to the same rubrics.
Here's a relevant blog posting on this very issue:

http://athanasiuscm.blogspot.com/2009/04/forget-icel-part-ii-asperges.html

During Easter time in the NO, the Asperges replaces the Confiteor and the Kyrie.
I think you are referring to the "Penitential Rite" and it's not said at every Mass. 

- Lisa
That is interesting and sad. I know one Church where they did that sort of alteration.

The NO Masses I was raised with have always followed the formula of The Confiteor etc., so I wonder why some opt not to do so ?
Discussion of the Novus Ordo rubrics is beyond the scope of this forum.   Interested parties are referred to EWTN or Catholic Answers