FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: White House, Notre Dame Respond to Mary Ann Glendon's Pro-Life Principles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
South Bend, IN -- Former Vatican ambassador and Harvard professor Mary Ann Glendon is drawing praise from across the pro-life community for standing up to the University of Notre Dame. She turned down an award from the Catholic college because pro-abortion President Barack Obama will be giving commencement.

As LifeNews.com reported on Monday, Glendon wrote a letter to UND president John Jenkins telling him that he is compromising the Catholic identity of the college by inviting and honoring Obama.

See update at http://www.LifeNews.com/state4086.html

Good for her!

I still can't believe that Notre Dame hasn't cancelled this commencement speech with the massive ruckus that it has caused.  There have been numerous phone-calls and other petitions of concern, as well as alumni pulling out their financial donations - and I have even heard that someone had returned their diploma!

But, secular "Notre Dame" must let the show go on...

O how this sickens me.
Looks like the Jesuits have left the Catholic Church. I'm being charitable when I say "good riddance"
(04-28-2009, 12:22 AM)trident59 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the Jesuits have left the Catholic Church. I'm being charitable when I say "good riddance"

Notre Dame isn't Jesuit.
I believe that the ruckus itself is artificially made by the Enemy:

- it covers the problem that the Christian life would be balanced issues: dignity of life, integrity of family, social justice, global awarness; and not the life (even w/o dignity) only

- it prepares the revoking of the Row vs Wade, without precaution against the forced abortion on the State level.

laszlo

(04-27-2009, 08:45 PM)Nic Wrote: [ -> ]Good for her!

I still can't believe that Notre Dame hasn't cancelled this commencement speech with the massive ruckus that it has caused.  There have been numerous phone-calls and other petitions of concern, as well as alumni pulling out their financial donations - and I have even heard that someone had returned their diploma!

But, secular "Notre Dame" must let the show go on...

O how this sickens me.
(04-28-2009, 11:10 AM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that the ruckus itself is artificially made by the Enemy:

- it covers the problem that the Christian life would be balanced issues: dignity of life, integrity of family, social justice, global awarness; and not the life (even w/o dignity) only

- it prepares the revoking of the Row vs Wade, without precaution against the forced abortion on the State level.

laszlo

No, the ruckus is caused by a "Catholic" university refusing to take a stand against promotion of a sin that cries to heaven for vengeance.  As you point out, issues need to be balanced, but there are 4 sins that cry to heaven for resolution in the temporal realm - not just divine justice - because they go to basic human survival and function.

murder (Gen. 4:10), sodomy (Gen. 17:20-21), oppression of the poor (Ex. 2:23), and defrauding workers of their just wages (James 5:4).

Your list as far as I can see has nothing to do with theology and is your own opinion.  I have never seen "global awareness" talked about in traditional theology.  If I'm mistaken, please show me where it has been talked about, and I will concede.

In the meantime, it seems "of the Enemy" to detract from the battle against one sin because of one's personal opinion not enough is being done about the others.  In reality, much has been done about oppression of the poor and defrauding workers of their just wages especially in the U.S.  There are unions, labor laws, recourse to courts, etc.  If anything, the issues of abortion and sodomy have been under attended in the U.S. and instead of moving towards resolution, things are moving in the opposite direction: outright promotion.

If you have a spilled glass of milk on the table and a broken pipe flooding the basement, where would your attention go?

The argument of Roe v Wade opening state forced abortions is a red herring.  Nothing in Roe v Wade currently prevents forced abortions; it merely affirms a woman's "right" to have an abortion.  Forced abortion is prevented, theoretically, by other laws that prevent medical procedures of any sort that are not consented to or court-ordered.  If and when such a time comes that a state would force an abortion, Roe v Wade will not do any better job of stopping it than an emergency hearing in the Supreme Court when arguments specifically against forced medical procedures at the state level can be heard in the context of the Constitution.  Repealing RvW and making abortion illegal will in no way open the way to forced abortions.

Really, laszlo, it's not clear to me if your statements are based on traditional theology or political leftism masquerading as theological arguments.
QuisUtdeus,

"Jesuit weekly: Church should consider married priests". Yep, you are correct but Georgetown IS. And considering their liberal stance on several other issues, I stand by my statement.
Married priests isn't exactly un-Catholic. Our first pope and many early priests were married. It is still practiced in the East and the West has married deacons and a special privelege for Episcopalian ministers who convert if they are already married and wished to be ordained.
There are two choices for the American Bishops: either sack the principal, or revoke the use of the 'Catholic' title for the university.
(04-29-2009, 01:09 AM)trident59 Wrote: [ -> ]QuisUtdeus,

"Jesuit weekly: Church should consider married priests". Yep, you are correct but Georgetown IS. And considering their liberal stance on several other issues, I stand by my statement.

Oh, trust me, I don't think the Jesuits are orthodox at all.  I thought you were speaking of them in connection to ND.  So, I will stand with you by your statement. Smile
Pages: 1 2