FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(05-14-2009, 12:08 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]What about presider? What about cause and effect? If the change of the word (cause) results in a dangerous effect, wouldn't rationalization be wrong? If you get too involved in the specifics and technicalities, you can justify almost every evil. You have to step back and look at the effect that these technical interpretation can have on Christianity around the world.

presider == Rocket Launcher and Energy Sword

The change of the word didn't actually change. It is using the exact Latin term (well, without any Latin inflection). If they stray from the pool of existing appropriate terms, then we are back to a death match.

Priest has been used Middle English and is probably the best word for it and has been the English word for it and still is. Occasionally, other words will be used with the understanding it is referring to a priest (like celebrant in the missal). If, however, they supplant the word entirely (which, I don't think the Church will do), then I have a problem.

They can tap dance all they way and try to use as much variety as possible. Human antics and discomfort don't bother me. If the rubrics want to avoid the word "sacrifice" and try to emphasise the other aspects, that isn't a grave problem because they cannot change what it is. It makes it a half-arsed attempt and insulting and likely to cause others to become lukewarm or even heretics, but it is not a heresy by itself. It is like the Pope's errors in their private lives. They have them and they do not have good effects, but the Pope is still the Pope.

The hippies will pass in time. There is nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster.
(05-14-2009, 12:03 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Ok Masterchief... I am thinking of the correct game, right? Isn't this what the whole nation has been playing for the last ... eon?

Correct game, although Master Chief is two words.

It is a great game.

(05-14-2009, 12:20 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2009, 12:03 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Ok Masterchief... I am thinking of the correct game, right? Isn't this what the whole nation has been playing for the last ... eon?

Correct game, although Master Chief is two words.

It is a great game.

My bad.  :-[
(05-14-2009, 12:19 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2009, 12:08 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]What about presider? What about cause and effect? If the change of the word (cause) results in a dangerous effect, wouldn't rationalization be wrong? If you get too involved in the specifics and technicalities, you can justify almost every evil. You have to step back and look at the effect that these technical interpretation can have on Christianity around the world.

presider == Rocket Launcher and Energy Sword

Ok, I understand what you meant now. As for the rest ... nevermind.  :)
(05-13-2009, 08:59 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2009, 07:11 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't go to any Novus Ordo "bastard mass" through my own free choice.  Weddings and Funerals of close relatives only and then only with my fingers crossed.

I'm with ya, but I have promised my parents that if they do not shape up and start attending the TLM  I will not even go their funerals.  The last NO I went to was my grandma's.  My dad tried to make it as conservative as possible (that's his preference anyway), and he orchestrated a Last Gospel reading.  The presbyter would not do it so he had asked me to a day or two before.  I said I did not want to and he got all pissy.

I did finally give in.  I felt like a prostitute after her first John.  I needed to take a shower to get the stink off.  That is when I final made up my mind that under no circumstances would I ever go to one of those things again.

They can just have their counterfeit families set it all up and go.

But you can go to a Protestant funeral or wedding and I think you always could at least for the last 100 years, provided you did not take an active part in proceeedings.  I just treat it the same, (which isn't hard because it is pretty much a protestant service anyway).
(05-14-2009, 12:44 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2009, 08:59 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2009, 07:11 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't go to any Novus Ordo "bastard mass" through my own free choice.  Weddings and Funerals of close relatives only and then only with my fingers crossed.

I'm with ya, but I have promised my parents that if they do not shape up and start attending the TLM  I will not even go their funerals.  The last NO I went to was my grandma's.  My dad tried to make it as conservative as possible (that's his preference anyway), and he orchestrated a Last Gospel reading.  The presbyter would not do it so he had asked me to a day or two before.  I said I did not want to and he got all pissy.

I did finally give in.  I felt like a prostitute after her first John.  I needed to take a shower to get the stink off.  That is when I final made up my mind that under no circumstances would I ever go to one of those things again.

They can just have their counterfeit families set it all up and go.

But you can go to a Protestant funeral or wedding and I think you always could at least for the last 100 years, provided you did not take an active part in proceeedings.  I just treat it the same, (which isn't hard because it is pretty much a protestant service anyway).

But at a Protestant service, they aren't defiling Christ's Body and Blood.
(05-14-2009, 12:48 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]But at a Protestant service, they aren't defiling Christ's Body and Blood.

Exactly, and they aren't going around calling themselves something some of them are not!

I think I'm going to stop attending the Novus Ordo where possible... I've just started 'officially' the conversion process and so I would prefer some consistency in the liturgy and the practices.

I went today because I could not get to my FSSP parish and it really threw me out (I've been exclusively attending the TLM for months).

It was fairly reverent compared to some of the things I've read on this thread, but communion in the hand, a female reader, and the constant dialogue/chattiness were really quite distracting for me and I could barely follow it as it was so foreign to me. I kept accidentally replying to things in Latin instead of English, too!

(Also, I still find it odd seeing people - especially women -  in jeans and sports jerseys at Mass. I always go in a skirt at least 3/4 length and a veil, and so do most women at my parish, and today was no different.)

I could not imagine having to sit through some of what the FE community has!
(05-22-2009, 12:07 AM)Libertas Wrote: [ -> ]I kept accidentally replying to things in Latin instead of English, too!
The rubrics are in Latin. It is proper to use those responses.

(05-22-2009, 12:11 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-22-2009, 12:07 AM)Libertas Wrote: [ -> ]I kept accidentally replying to things in Latin instead of English, too!
The rubrics are in Latin. It is proper to use those responses.

Thanks! That is good to know! I was a little bit embarrassed.  :-[
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12