FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Who decides the interior of churches?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I attend a Church that has the Tabernacle off  the side of the Altar , I was wondering who decides these things? If the next priest wanted to have the Tabernacle under the Crucifix, could he just move it?
(05-01-2009, 07:52 PM)information Wrote: [ -> ]I attend a Church that has the Tabernacle off  the side of the Altar , I was wondering who decides these things? If the next priest wanted to have the Tabernacle under the Crucifix, could he just move it?

Yes. Our new pastor did.

- Lisa
He "resurrected" the old tabernacle that had been hidden away for years. The tabernacle is modeled after the "rock-hewn tomb" like that in which Jesus was buried, according to the scripture. It weighed a ton, and took a professional crew to reinstall into the main altar. It was a whole day's work.

- Lisa
Unless the bishop has specific requirements, I assume the pastor of a parish decides what goes where. I don't know if the TLM has specific rubrics on that, but even in the traditional rites, the tabernacle does not have to be on the altar, and the common practice in cathedral churches was to have the tabernacle in its own shrine.

Also, technically speaking, the tabernacle usually isn't really "on" the altar, even in a pre-Vatican II setup. It usually rests on a platform or a reredos behind the altar, which may be attached... but it's still not the same as being "on" it, such as this portable tabernacle resting on a freestanding altar in my favourite movie, Becket:

[Image: cathedra.jpg]

In televised Masses on EWTN, the tabernacle is behind the altar on a platform of some sort, with the priest in between it and the altar.

The NO's "General Instruction on the Roman Missal" states:

GIRM Wrote:The Place for the Reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist

314. In accordance with the structure of each church and legitimate local customs, the Most Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a tabernacle in a part of the church that is truly noble, prominent, readily visible, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.125

The one tabernacle should be immovable, be made of solid and inviolable material that is not transparent, and be locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is prevented to the greatest extent possible.126 Moreover, it is appropriate that, before it is put into liturgical use, it be blessed according to the rite described in the Roman Ritual.127

315. It is more in keeping with the meaning of the sign that the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved not be on an altar on which Mass is celebrated.128

Consequently, it is preferable that the tabernacle be located, according to the judgment of the Diocesan Bishop,

1. Either in the sanctuary, apart from the altar of celebration, in a form and place more appropriate, not excluding on an old altar no longer used for celebration (cf. above, no. 303);
   2. Or even in some chapel suitable for the faithful's private adoration and prayer129 and which is organically connected to the church and readily visible to the Christian faithful.

316. In accordance with traditional custom, near the tabernacle a special lamp, fueled by oil or wax, should be kept alight to indicate and honor the presence of Christ.130

317. In no way should all the other things prescribed by law concerning the reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist be forgotten.131

The one in our big church (the rock-hewn tomb) is definitely fixed in the high altar (not the free standing altar used for the Sacrifice). It would take another professional crew and another day's work to remove it.

In our chapel, however, is a moveable tabernacle that is off to the side in its own shrine, as you described.

- Lisa

314. In accordance with the structure of each church and legitimate local customs, the Most Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a tabernacle in a part of the church that is truly noble, prominent, readily visible, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.125

The one tabernacle should be immovable, be made of solid and inviolable material that is not transparent, and be locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is prevented to the greatest extent possible.126 Moreover, it is appropriate that, before it is put into liturgical use, it be blessed according to the rite described in the Roman Ritual.127

315. It is more in keeping with the meaning of the sign that the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved not be on an altar on which Mass is celebrated.128

Consequently, it is preferable that the tabernacle be located, according to the judgment of the Diocesan Bishop,

1. Either in the sanctuary, apart from the altar of celebration, in a form and place more appropriate, not excluding on an old altar no longer used for celebration (cf. above, no. 303);
   2. Or even in some chapel suitable for the faithful's private adoration and prayer129 and which is organically connected to the church and readily visible to the Christian faithful.

316. In accordance with traditional custom, near the tabernacle a special lamp, fueled by oil or wax, should be kept alight to indicate and honor the presence of Christ.130

317. In no way should all the other things prescribed by law concerning the reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist be forgotten.131

What does "organically connected" to the church mean?

[/quote]
(05-01-2009, 11:11 PM)SmileBugMK Wrote: [ -> ]

What does "organically connected" to the church mean?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that means in the same building - or a chapel directly connected to the church, not in, for example, a former convent chapel on the far side of the parking lot.
(05-01-2009, 11:51 PM)moneil Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure that means in the same building - or a chapel directly connected to the church, not in, for example, a former convent chapel on the far side of the parking lot.

That was my impression.

There is a tabernacle in my parish behind the high altar, but there is a far more ornate tabernacle in its own chapel (though still attached to the main church) where Eucharistic adoration takes place. I believe the GIRM's intention was not to take Christ away from the people, but for churches to build a special shrine just for the Blessed Sacrament as in the cathedral churches.
(05-01-2009, 08:10 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]my favourite movie, Becket:

[Image: cathedra.jpg]

[

One of my favorites too.
Quote:Who decides the interior of churches?
These past 40 years? No one.
Pages: 1 2