FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Non-Catholic Response To Priestly Celibacy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear friends and neighbors,

On the alternative health website Curezone.com, they have forums for various topics, medical and otherwise. On their "Christianity Forum", they're talking about the Fr. Cutie scandal, which led to criticizing priestly celibacy.

Well, a certain person put up a link to a detailed defense of celibacy, and got this response.

First, the post and link:

Quote:I disagree. Celibacy is not stupid, but is something good for the priesthood. They are to be like Christ, who was unmarried and totally dedicated to God, Church and humanity.

Those who aren't deserved to be both punished and prayed for.

For any who are interested, they can go to this link to read a detailed defense of priestly celibacy:

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apol...libacy.htm

The Church will never give up celibacy. Otherwise, we'd end up like the Protestants who did and look what happened to them. Starting with the Anglicans under Henry VIII.

Thank you for your time

Now here is the response --  that is, if it can be called one.

Quote:Yes many "believe this" as well as practice it....

So then logic would extend this thought - no pun intended Smile... That the priesthood are leading by example - thus there should be no more sex in the world of humans.  If we were only to follow "GODS" will here on earth... (does one see the abstrusity of this?)

Thus - The act of sex is evil; then also the act of creation (sex) by man is a sin as well as the children produced... eww.... Keep it secret - keep it repressed - make it as that of the devil - luscious desires.... which we must overcome.... see just look to your guides - the priests and nuns..... They show you the right way of it..... See them speaking with love... OH so kind and gentle.... But inside them - this going against the very nature of themselves - cause their personality to fracture - becoming a creature of faith and right during the day and a creature of depravity and uncontrolled lusts at night - but hidden from the "followers" the believers.... And history shows the truth of this over and over and over.... Thus once again illustration that - we will always be lead astray if we seek to follow any person...

Is not balance better then abstinence? To enjoy all things but not become a slave to any? Seems like a worthy and healthy goal...

I must add - WOMAN - having the gift of creation.... What a wonderful gift indeed! a blessing oh so repressed by the church and "man kind" OH the sadness of young girls being taught to hate that which is their very nature - and walking into womanhood and through life with this belief system...

Is this respondent being over-emotional and irrational? If the original poster isn't going to respond to this poor soul, I'd like to take a crack.

Over and out.
Quote:Is this respondent being over-emotional and irrational? If the original poster isn't going to respond to this poor soul, I'd like to take a crack.
Very.

If I were to respond, I'd say that the priesthood is entirely voluntary. Nothing is forced on them.

To criticise voluntary celibacy is to criticise free will itself.

That alone should shut up a rational person, otherwise, they'd have to recommend sexual assault.

I'd also point out there are times when a priest can be married under certain circumstances, that alone should counter those foolish statements and illogical conclusions.
(05-12-2009, 08:21 PM)HailGilbert Wrote: [ -> ]Is this respondent being over-emotional and irrational? If the original poster isn't going to respond to this poor soul, I'd like to take a crack.

Over and out.

You have more patience than me, my friend. This person is over-emotional, irrational, unreasonable, illogical, and seeking to justify their own weaknesses. The idea "to deny our own instincts is to deny the very thing that makes us human" is a foundationless and dishonest 'philosophy' because instinct is not the sole construct of humanity. I will pray that you have success, but leave it to reason and you will probably fail. Leave it to prayer and you may succeed. Leave it to reason and prayer and there is a good chance that, by God, you'll succeed. Leave it to reason, prayer, and a Truth-seeking soul and it is guaranteed that God will work through you to bring this soul to Him.

May God be with you...
It is no surprise to me that a culture that doesn't understand marriage wouldn't understand celibacy either. And yes, I think the poster is being irrational and emotional
That person is an idiot.  Nuff said.
(05-12-2009, 08:35 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Is this respondent being over-emotional and irrational? If the original poster isn't going to respond to this poor soul, I'd like to take a crack.
Very.

If I were to respond, I'd say that the priesthood is entirely voluntary. Nothing is forced on them.

To criticise voluntary celibacy is to criticise free will itself.

I agree with Rosarium.

you should ask them if they wouldn't mind having a lawyer operate on them.... someone who swore to uphold the Constitution, to behave in a way held up to the standards of the bar -

ask them if they wouldn't mind that this lawyer take their prostate out.

After all, he would only be enjoying all things without becoming a slave to that pesky oath - plus, he'd get to mess with someone's insides! But it would be balanced.

....seems like a worthy and healthy goal.
Oh brother. Actually the Church raised the dignity of woman. And I don't believe it when these people start to hail the glories of procreation because they are usually the same ones who are pro-abortion.

- Lisa
Lisa, I agree!!

Our greatest human is a woman!

who else can say that?!

and if woman has "the gift of creation" and "is repressed by the Church" - ?!

discouraging BC and encouraging marital relations and children isn't repressed by the Church - but by many other faiths.

"...blessing oh so repressed by the church and "man kind" OH the sadness of young girls being taught to hate that which is their very nature ..."

this guy needs to make up his mind.
(05-12-2009, 11:15 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]Lisa, I agree!!

who else can say that?!

Greatest human born of a man and woman.
(05-12-2009, 11:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-12-2009, 11:15 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]Lisa, I agree!!

who else can say that?!

Greatest human born of a man and woman.

...........you know what I meant.......

Smile
Pages: 1 2