FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Religious Orders of Sisters with Habits are growing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/briefs/....htm#head6

Book says young women attracted to orders whose members wear habits

DENVER (CNS) -- While the last 40 years have seen an overall drop in the numbers of women entering religious life, a new book released by the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious says orders that are more visibly countercultural seem to be flourishing. The council represents the superiors of more than 100 religious communities of sisters whose members wear an identifiable religious habit. A canonically approved organization founded in 1992 to promote religious life in the United States, the council notes that the average age of its member communities' sisters is under 35. The book, titled "The Foundations of Religious Life: Revisiting the Vision" and published by Ave Maria Press, is a project of the council. It explores why the orders represented by the council are gaining numbers and how they are living out the vision of consecrated life described by the Second Vatican Council. The book, released May 16, consists of essays written by six religious sisters representing five orders. The topics they address are: religious consecration, the spousal bond, the threefold response to vows, communion in community, and mission.

Great news! The old wacky Vatican II hipster nunneries will die out!  LOL
I know of a convent where the nuns recently decided to go back to the old habit and grilles because they realized that the more traditional-looking convents were getting more vocations. Smile
(05-27-2009, 06:43 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]I know of a convent where the nuns recently decided to go back to the old habit and grilles because they realized that the more traditional-looking convents were getting more vocations. Smile

And yet, it's not just about vocations, it's about living the life that God has actually called these holy women to live.
I know in the order that founded my college many of the sisters hated it when they had to turn in their habits - one of my professors worked in the laundry and got the job of burning them all after they were turned in.
(05-27-2009, 09:14 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: [ -> ]I know in the order that founded my college many of the sisters hated it when they had to turn in their habits - one of my professors worked in the laundry and got the job of burning them all after they were turned in.

Talk about a bad habit, and that pun was partially intended.
(05-27-2009, 06:43 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]I know of a convent where the nuns recently decided to go back to the old habit and grilles because they realized that the more traditional-looking convents were getting more vocations. Smile

Fascinating!  Will you share the name/location of this convent?  If you'd druther not say it to the forum, will you PM it to me? I'm not very interested in joining a convent myself (being a married man and all), but I'd like to do some research on this.
(05-27-2009, 07:38 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]

And yet, it's not just about vocations, it's about living the life that God has actually called these holy women to live.

Yes, that's true, but isn't that what's implied in the word vocation? I mean, that's what living out the vocation means.
(05-28-2009, 08:00 AM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2009, 07:38 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, that's true, but isn't that what's implied in the word vocation? I mean, that's what living out the vocation means.

Yes, you're right.
This is certainly the case at a convent near us.  We attended Easter mass there and noticed 4 or 5 new faces!  What a blessing!
Pages: 1 2