FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Judith Slaying Holofernes avatar and the play connected to it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed that a few months ago a topic was started about my avatar that I missed until recently.  The reason I choose that as my avatar is, first I fell in love with the art of Artemisia Genteleschi.  Second, I am a theatre director and I was directing a show about her life called Lapis Blue Blood Red.  When that thread about my avatar popped up, I was directing the show, so I was kind of out of pocket for a while.  I never meant to ignore any questions to me.

The script leaves a little to be desired, but the playwright is very fair in her portrayal of the historical characters.  She doesn't go to far to the left or right.  She is actually a documentary filmmaker, so I believe she was concerned (perhaps to a fault) with the historical accuracy of her play.  Anyone that might be interested in the play, the publisher, Playscripts, Inc. allows you to read about 3/4 of the script online for free.  http://www.playscripts.com.  I would love to have more of a Catholic perspective on it.

God Bless.

Thanks for posting this.  Artemisia Gentileschi is one of my favorite artists.  I look forward to reading the script.  Her life certainly is a great topic for a play or film. 
(05-28-2009, 08:10 PM)PaxVobiscum Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting this.  Artemisia Gentileschi is one of my favorite artists.  I look forward to reading the script.  Her life certainly is a great topic for a play or film. 
There was a film in the late 1990s called Artemisia, and I did find other dramatizations of Artemisia Gentileschi here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_G...ar_culture

(05-28-2009, 11:39 PM)Miquelot Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2009, 08:10 PM)PaxVobiscum Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting this.  Artemisia Gentileschi is one of my favorite artists.  I look forward to reading the script.  Her life certainly is a great topic for a play or film. 
There was a film in the late 1990s called Artemisia, and I did find other dramatizations of Artemisia Gentileschi here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_G...ar_culture

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing much of the film Artemisia.  It was a complete bastardisation of history, and demonized the wrong people.  It was strewn with sexually explicit scenes and images.  In a word, the film was 'French'.  I wouldn't recomend it.  But, even for what it is, it was rather second rate.  The performance by the actor who played Orazio Gentileschi was the only redemable part of the film.  He was the only sympathetic character.  The film showed that Artemisia and Augustino Tassi had a love affair and not that she was rapped by him.

I gotta' tell you, if my daughter was rapped and some French filmaker decided to say that she actually had a plesuable love affair, I think I would come out of my grave.
I like this version by Caravaggio a little better.  I just like the ticked-off look on Judith's face.
[Image: Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_by_Caravaggio.jpg]
"If he gets blood on my new white blouse, I swear I'll kill.........him some more. "
[Image: St.%20John%20Carravagio.jpg]

Carravagio had a thing for beheadings...
Carravaggio is the best.
(05-29-2009, 02:39 PM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]Carravaggio is the best.

It took a bisexual brawling drunk with a penchant for murder to revolutionise Renaissance art. Chiaroscuro FTW  ;D
He was bi? I knew had whores...but I figured they were all women. Oh well, it just shows genius has nothing to do with morality, and that talen is a reflection of God not the artist.
Pages: 1 2