FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hedgerow Professors?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard a long time ago about these professors in Ireland that, because they were prohibited from teaching the faith by the English, resorted to teaching their students in hiding, out in the fields behind the hedgerows. 

I don't know if this is accurate, or when it took place.  I can't find any info. on this, does anyone know anything about this?
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I can say with certainty that I hope it is.
It is true. Despite the fact that the Irish were forbidden to receive any education, or to go abroad for it, there were hedge schoolmasters from the 1600's through 1800's. I remember stories of poor Irish kids astonishing British visitors with knowledge of Latin and Greek, learned in these schools. Story of the Irish Race by Seamus McManus will have more details.
(05-30-2009, 01:08 AM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]It is true. Despite the fact that the Irish were forbidden to receive any education, or to go abroad for it, there were hedge schoolmasters from the 1600's through 1800's. I remember stories of poor Irish kids astonishing British visitors with knowledge of Latin and Greek, learned in these schools. Story of the Irish Race by Seamus McManus will have more details.

Nice! Thank you Anastasia.  I think my Mom has that book, if not I'll get it.

(05-30-2009, 12:59 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I can say with certainty that I hope it is.

LOL