FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Walker Percy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Opinions?
Fantasyforever?
Catholicism always comes out in the end.

All of his books are on the melancholic side - a lot of his characters are detached.

He's from the South.

If you tend to be on the depressed side, you'll find yourself identifying with the protaganists.
Brilliant.  The Moviegoer is one of the most uproariously funny novels I have ever read.

Of course, the pervasive melancholy that libby identifies springs from the haunting pall that suicide cast over Percy's own family's past:  both his grandfather and father had committed suicide, and Percy feared that he, too, would succumb to his own depressive and suicidal ideations. 

The Second Coming treats this extensively in the character of Will Barrett (an apt character name if there ever was one, heh), who triumphs over this "love of death" in the end.

Favorite of Percy's novels?

The Moviegoer and The Last Gentleman
(06-01-2009, 09:35 PM)McNider Wrote: [ -> ]Opinions?

Love.
(06-01-2009, 09:37 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Fantasyforever?

LOL
I know that Walker is recommended in Don Brophy's One Hundred Great Catholic Books: From the Early Centuries to the Present
he's good - really good. And he always hits the Catholic notes in a roundabout way, which is the only way you can do it down here and live.

Wink

The Second Coming picks up where The Last Gentleman leaves off.
Haven't read his novels. I'm really only familiar with Percy's work in semiotics, and some of the other nonfiction. Signposts in a Strange Land is a pretty well rounded collection of interviews and essays covering much of his career; it probably stands as the best overall introduction to his thought.
Pages: 1 2