FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Need advice from Fishies: pro-life club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There didn't seem to be any appropriate place for this, so I'm just putting it in the busiest forumĀ  ;D.

I've recently become the treasurer of the pro-life club at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and the financial situation is quite grim. The University's Alma Mater Society won't approve funding for any pro-life groups because it considers clubs which campaign to change Canadian law to be a "subversive influence" (this is not a joke - that's the argument). We've currently got $61.76 in the account (and that's Canadian dollars). Needless to say, our potential activities (e.g. setting up a conference, buying posters) are limited.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to raise funds. I'm completely new at it, and I have no idea how I'd get started or who I'd ask. Does anyone have experience with these things?
I'm thinking membership dues to get off the ground.

I'll yield to other (better) arguments, however.
Set up a website with Google Ads and a link for donations.
How about a carwash?
(06-04-2009, 10:07 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]How about a carwash?

How's the weather in Kingston would be my first question. Out here in Alberta it would be risky to schedule it more than a day or two in advance the way the temperatures have been going up and down.
(06-04-2009, 10:12 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2009, 10:07 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]How about a carwash?

How's the weather in Kingston would be my first question. Out here in Alberta it would be risky to schedule it more than a day or two in advance the way the temperatures have been going up and down.

The weather can be pretty unstable in Kingston, too, but I think it's worth a try. Unfortunately, the club won't be meeting until September. I want to find some way of bringing in revenue in the meantime. Thanks all for your ideas!
Have a dinner at some parish hall or some place on campus where you can get it cheap, cheap cheap. Serve spaghetti, it sells fine, it's cheap, and can serve a lotta people. Promote it. Sell advance tickets as well as door tickets, also sell 50/50 drawing tickets at the door for a buck each... (you know how a 50/50 works right?)

Profits from spaghetti + a 50/50 drawing = money.

Assuming you promote it, it also takes very few people to cook spaghetti noodles + sauce + french bread. It won't be an amazing Italian feast, but so what, people will throw you a few bones.

If it's on campus, this may not be possible, but booze is always high-margin as well...

Find a Knights Of Columbus Council as well, a local one. If they have a hall they'll surely help you out with that piece (and possibly with a speaker, as they're supposed to have a Pro-life "Chairperson")
(06-05-2009, 01:06 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]sell 50/50 drawing tickets at the door for a buck each... (you know how a 50/50 works right?)

Unless Ontario is radically different than Alberta, I'm sure Dauphin knows how a 50/50 works! LOL
I don't; what is it?
That is nothing short of disturbing. Especially considering there are clubs at other Canadian universities but nonetheless...

Contact your local RTL association
Contact NCLN and ask them to help promote
Put a notice in the bulletin of every local parish clearly explaining the situation on campus, contact the campus chaplain and campus ministry and make sure they are also invited to the fundraiser
Is CCSA or CCO on your campus?

Have a well published event on campus. I think a spagetti dinner is a great idea. Make sure someone writes an article for the newspaper, and ensure that half of the proceeds go to Project Rachel or a CPC.

Pages: 1 2