FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican Laments Drop in Confessions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
VATICAN CITY (AP) - A Vatican official is lamenting that many faithful no longer confess their sins, and says some confuse a psychologist's couch for a confessional booth.
Archbishop Mauro Piacenza has told Vatican Radio the sacrament of penance has been experiencing a "deep crisis" for decades. Piacenza, an official for the Vatican office on clergy, says fewer people distinguish between good and evil, and as a result don't go to confession.

The archbishop said in the interview Tuesday that if faithful don't have a sense of sin, they might "confuse" confession with "the couch of a psychologist or a psychiatrist."

He says the Vatican plans to publish this year a kind of handbook on confession to drum up enthusiasm among Catholics toward the sacrament.

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=..._article=1
I always love how "the Vatican" is always *one* official.
Mentioning sin in catechesis and from the pulpit once in awhile probably wouldn't hurt either.
I dunno, but maybe when tommy terrible is ogling paula pure in eighth grade, Father Friendly gets him by his ear and transports him out of the room and cuffs him one, the process might start to reverse. And even better when tommy's mommy, cause daddy's busy, comes to complain, Father Friendly asks her if she is on the pill, cause she is thirty nine and has only two kids, but a $750,000 home and a Bentley. Just thinking out loud.
tim
I cannot speak for Latin Mass parishes, but I think expanded availability for confession is also needed.  Many parishes still have the "half hour before Mass on Saturday" schedule.  I think this is  not that convenient, and really, would be totally inadequate if everyone went to confession as often as they should.  Of course, ask a priest about it and he's likely to say, "A half hour a week is good enough; we don't have much demand."  Well, for me personally, having more opportunities to go would certainly increase my frequency.  It is sometimes difficult to get the whole family to Mass on time, much less a half hour early, and we don't even go on Saturday evenings.  Almost every parish with which I am familiar has the familiar "any time by appointment".  How many people who haven't been to confession for 5 years are going to pick up the phone and call the parish office?  I am guessing not very many.  I'm not totally blaming the priests and parishes here, but since when did cutting back on services (in the business sense) increase customers?

Priests need to preach about the absolute necessity of confession at every Mass, I believe, until the numbers start improving.  I also think they ought to describe the horror of sin more clearly.  Many sermons I have heard about confession are a little too touchy/feely.  "Confession brings God's love back to you."  Yes, true, but we really should be going to confession out of sorrow, not just because we want to feel better about ourselves.  Fear of hell is also a powerful motivator, as is guilt.  I cannot remember the last time I heard a priest point out that everyone at Mass goes to communion but only a handful of people went to confession the evening before (or whenever). 
(06-04-2009, 12:38 PM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot speak for Latin Mass parishes, but I think expanded availability for confession is also needed.  Many parishes still have the "half hour before Mass on Saturday" schedule.  

St Joseph's Basilica here in Edmonton has a half hour before all weekday Masses (three a day) and an hour before Mass on Saturday and they still have a line!
(06-04-2009, 12:02 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Mentioning sin in catechesis and from the pulpit once in awhile probably wouldn't hurt either.

Amen to that.
(06-04-2009, 12:38 PM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot speak for Latin Mass parishes, but I think expanded availability for confession is also needed.  Many parishes still have the "half hour before Mass on Saturday" schedule.  I think this is  not that convenient, and really, would be totally inadequate if everyone went to confession as often as they should.  Of course, ask a priest about it and he's likely to say, "A half hour a week is good enough; we don't have much demand."  Well, for me personally, having more opportunities to go would certainly increase my frequency.  It is sometimes difficult to get the whole family to Mass on time, much less a half hour early, and we don't even go on Saturday evenings.  Almost every parish with which I am familiar has the familiar "any time by appointment".  How many people who haven't been to confession for 5 years are going to pick up the phone and call the parish office?  I am guessing not very many.  I'm not totally blaming the priests and parishes here, but since when did cutting back on services (in the business sense) increase customers?
That seems to vary. In my NO church, confessions are every Saturday at two different times (each for an hour) and on Thursdays before First Friday. There are moderate lines, but I always go early (I always get to church 30 minutes early if I can) so I don't know what they are like after. Also, one can make appointments for confession. Each time I've asked before mass (twice), I got a priest to hear my confession.

The cathedral has confession everyday and has pretty long lines every day, and on Saturday, they have four or five priests with long lines for all.

Quote:Priests need to preach about the absolute necessity of confession at every Mass, I believe, until the numbers start improving.  I also think they ought to describe the horror of sin more clearly.  Many sermons I have heard about confession are a little too touchy/feely.  "Confession brings God's love back to you."  Yes, true, but we really should be going to confession out of sorrow, not just because we want to feel better about ourselves.  Fear of hell is also a powerful motivator, as is guilt.  I cannot remember the last time I heard a priest point out that everyone at Mass goes to communion but only a handful of people went to confession the evening before (or whenever). 

One good thing about this NO parish I go to, the priests are very clear about sin and the reality of the sacraments. We get a lot of hell, sin and real presence.
(06-04-2009, 12:44 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2009, 12:38 PM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot speak for Latin Mass parishes, but I think expanded availability for confession is also needed.  Many parishes still have the "half hour before Mass on Saturday" schedule.  

St Joseph's Basilica here in Edmonton has a half hour before all weekday Masses (three a day) and an hour before Mass on Saturday and they still have a line!

St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Austin, TX had confession available daily, right before the noon Mass.  Every day they had two priests hearing confessions, and every day there was a long line.  They frequently had to turn people away.  I think if any church had it available every day at convenient hours, so you could run in before work, or on your lunch break, there would be tons of interest.  The problem is going out of your way in the middle of Saturday afternoon when everyone wants to do leisurely things.
(06-04-2009, 12:57 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: [ -> ]St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Austin, TX had confession available daily, right before the noon Mass.  Every day they had two priests hearing confessions, and every day there was a long line.  They frequently had to turn people away.  I think if any church had it available every day at convenient hours, so you could run in before work, or on your lunch break, there would be tons of interest.  The problem is going out of your way in the middle of Saturday afternoon when everyone wants to do leisurely things.

In our church, we don't let them out of the confessional until they've heard us all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4