FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp W Column, 6.6.09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The loss of truth is a hallmark of modern times. People seem to believe either that truth does not exist (“What is truth ?” asked Pontius Pilate), or that it exists but is not important, or that it exists and is important, but cannot be discovered by the human mind. Whichever way, let us eat, drink and be merry, because if falsehood is as good as truth, then wrong is as good as right, which makes me free to do as I like.

To read the entire article:

http://dinoscopus.blogspot.com/2009/06/e...truth.html
Here is another good line:

"Let nobody pretend that any truth could not be found when there was a way to find it. He merely demonstrates his lack of will to find it. There is a great lack of such will in what is still called “Western civilisation”. That is why it is Satanic (Jn.VIII,44)."
That last line is really perfect.  Very sad, but to the point and certainly true.
Souds to  me like he is trying to comment on the other thread from last week.  He sounds a lot like one of the other posters who argues that there is no such thing as invincible ignorance.  After all, "where there is a will there is a way..."  Sorry +Williamson, that bird just wont "fly".
Newschoolman,

I did not get t
I was responding to this:

"But can the human mind always know the truth? Indeed sometimes it cannot. But usually in pursuit of the truth, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way”.  Often if men do not find the truth, it is not because it cannot be found, but because there is not a real will to find it."

The implication here is that practically all religious error is culpable.  Certainly that is the case often enough.  But +Williamson leaves out other equally importand causes -- the scandalous behavior of so many Catholics -- even priests and bishops[!!!] -- the mindless and petty divisions in the Church.  What part does all of this play in promoting and prolonging religious error?  It reminds me of what Vittoria had to say:

Quote:“The Indians are not held to believe as soon as they have heard the preaching of the Christian faith, so that they would sin mortally against the faith from the sole fact that it is announced to them and that they are assured that the Christian religion is true…They would be held to believe only if the Christian faith had been proposed to them with worthy witnesses to persuade them.  Yet I do not hear that miracles have been performed among them or that they have been shown extraordinary examples of sanctity; on the contrary, they have been given a spectacle of scandals, horrible crimes, and innumerous impieties.” (Cf. Francisco de Vitoria, De Indis, 1532)

(06-06-2009, 11:50 PM)newschoolman Wrote: [ -> ]The implication here is that practically all religious error is culpable.  Certainly that is the case often enough.  But +Williamson leaves out other equally importand causes -- the scandalous behavior of so many Catholics -- even priests and bishops[!!!] -- the mindless and petty divisions in the Church.  What part does all of this play in promoting and prolonging religious error?  It reminds me of what Vittoria had to say:

Fr. Malachi Martin used to tell people who brought this up, "Don't let any creature get in the way between you and your Creator."  People who are of good will and seek the truth will find it or it will be brought to them.  Plenty of peoplel use the scandals of the clergy and faithful as an excuse to justify their own desire to engage in their own favorite sins. 

If we have enough saints then we will see conversions.  There really is no substitute for that. 
(06-06-2009, 11:50 PM)newschoolman Wrote: [ -> ]I was responding to this:

"But can the human mind always know the truth? Indeed sometimes it cannot. But usually in pursuit of the truth, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way”.  Often if men do not find the truth, it is not because it cannot be found, but because there is not a real will to find it."

The implication here is that practically all religious error is culpable.  Certainly that is the case often enough.  But +Williamson leaves out other equally importand causes -- the scandalous behavior of so many Catholics -- even priests and bishops[!!!] -- the mindless and petty divisions in the Church.  What part does all of this play in promoting and prolonging religious error?  It reminds me of what Vittoria had to say:

Quote:“The Indians are not held to believe as soon as they have heard the preaching of the Christian faith, so that they would sin mortally against the faith from the sole fact that it is announced to them and that they are assured that the Christian religion is true…They would be held to believe only if the Christian faith had been proposed to them with worthy witnesses to persuade them.  Yet I do not hear that miracles have been performed among them or that they have been shown extraordinary examples of sanctity; on the contrary, they have been given a spectacle of scandals, horrible crimes, and innumerous impieties.” (Cf. Francisco de Vitoria, De Indis, 1532)

That may be true, but it seems Vitoria can't possibly be blaming the Church for the lack of conversions.

"Pius IX, Quanto Conficiamur Moerore" Wrote:7. Here, too, our beloved sons and venerable brothers, it is again necessary to mention and censure a very grave error entrapping some Catholics who believe that it is possible to arrive at eternal salvation although living in error and alienated from the true faith and Catholic unity. Such belief is certainly opposed to Catholic teaching. There are, of course, those who are struggling with invincible ignorance about our most holy religion. Sincerely observing the natural law and its precepts inscribed by God on all hearts and ready to obey God, they live honest lives and are able to attain eternal life by the efficacious virtue of divine light and grace. Because God knows, searches and clearly understands the minds, hearts, thoughts, and nature of all, his supreme kindness and clemency do not permit anyone at all who is not guilty of deliberate sin to suffer eternal punishments.

(06-07-2009, 12:16 AM)newschoolman Wrote: [ -> ]If we have enough saints then we will see conversions.  There really is no substitute for that. 

The conciliar Church does not even encourage conversions. I guess they don't need saints anymore either.
Pages: 1 2