FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Seeking Books on . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the Crusades, as well as the Merovingian/Frankish period in Christendom.  And a proper history of the Knights Templar.  And a book on the institution of the Papal Inquisition (not so much the Spanish one, but that is all right, too).  I love Regine Pernoud, but her Templar book is only in French.  sad  I have her book on the Crusades and her book on the "Middle Ages", but I want more.

I am extremely interested in these periods, but it seems that most of the sources I find are biased against the Church.  Regine Pernoud is quite refreshingly unbiased, but, alas, not all her works are available in translation.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?  I am at a loss.
Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.
(06-08-2009, 10:55 AM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.

Warren Carroll sounds good.  I will be sure to check him out.  Pre-Tudor is fine.  ;D  I enjoyed reading about Queen Isabella, the "She-Wolf of France," not to mention the Wars of the Roses, so I will look into the Costain.

Thank you, Anastasia!  Smile

Anything on the Templars anyone?
- Paul F. Grendler, The Roman Inquisition and the Venetian Press;
- Henry S. Kamen, The Spanish Inquisition: An Historical Revision;
- Edward Peters, Inquisition;
- John Tedeschi, The Prosecution of Heresy;
- Thomas F. Madden, A Concise History of the Crusades.
I am working on The New Knighthood by: Malcom Barber, The Trial of The Templars: Malcom Barber, The Crusades by: Belloc,  The Illustrated History of the Crusades by: Madden, The New Concise History of the Crusades by: Thomas Madden. I can tell you I have read Warren Carroll's books and they are excellent.
(06-08-2009, 11:01 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2009, 10:55 AM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.

Warren Carroll sounds good.  I will be sure to check him out.  Pre-Tudor is fine.  ;D  I enjoyed reading about Queen Isabella, the "She-Wolf of France," not to mention the Wars of the Roses, so I will look into the Costain.

Thank you, Anastasia!  Smile

Anything on the Templars anyone?

Warren Carroll is excellent.  Can't help you with the Knights Templar, though.  Hilaire Belloc has an excellent (but short) history of the Crusades.
I recommend The Templars by Piers Paul Read.