FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Favourite Papal Encyclicals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I haven't read that many to get a favourite. I'm reading those of Pope Pius XII now.

Although I do not have enough read to get favourites, Humanae Vitae certainly stands out.
Pascendi Dominici Gregis by Pope St. Pius X is simply brilliant.  Once I started it, I could not put it down.  It describes the modern crisis perfectly.
Mortalium Animos, Pope Pius XI.("Fostering True Religious Unity")...................Should be required reading for our leaders today..........
Solemni Hac Liturgia is excellent. It is a motu proprio rather than an encyclical, though.
Libertas might be the greatest work of political philosophy of the last 500 years.
Rerum Novarum
Satis Cognitum
Mystici Corporis
I'm totally with McNider!!!  Smile
(06-08-2009, 01:52 PM)Carthusian Wrote: [ -> ]Pascendi Dominici Gregis by Pope St. Pius X is simply brilliant.  Once I started it, I could not put it down.  It describes the modern crisis perfectly.

Oh man you are so right! It describes the modern Church to a T and it is no wonder Benedict ignored its 100 publication in it the then Holy Father decries everything the Holy Fathers since John XXIII and even Pius XII (with his monkeying with the liturgy) have done. It should be required reading for ALL Catholics especialy those that think that there is no problem in the Church.
(06-08-2009, 11:14 PM)McNider Wrote: [ -> ]Libertas might be the greatest work of political philosophy of the last 500 years.
Rerum Novarum
Satis Cognitum
Mystici Corporis

Yes, Rerum Novarum!
Pascendi Dominici Gregis by Pope St. Pius X : the best encyclical that deals with the heresy of all heresies, Modernism.

Divini Redemptoris by Pope Pius XI: against Atheistic Communism

Casti Connubii by Pope Pius XI: On Christian Marriage, and against  birth control.
It is ten times better than Humanae Vitae, much clearer without a trace of Modernism.
(06-10-2009, 02:35 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]It is ten times better than Humanae Vitae, much clearer without a trace of Modernism.

What I like about HV is the timing of it, and by who it was written. Nothing says "Guided by the Holy Spirit" than that.
Pages: 1 2