FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How would you rate your present parish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
My parish is Holy Name in San Antonio, Texas.  I used to rate it a 10, but since the two Spanish priests departed for a new assignment, their replacement did away with the TLM and the Spanish mass the day he started, and got himself some Eucharistic Ministers, and proceeded to concentrate on the Novus Ordo, etc.  Now it's  back at about a 1. 

The Pastor has informed us that we can have a TLM, but to find a priest.  That gives you an idea of how receptive to the TLM this place  is.  Other parishes in the city won't even touch the TLM issue if you know what I mean.

There is one other  Parish that has a TLM, but it's clear on the other side of town.

We're praying for a miracle.
The parish I go to, I would give about a 6.5. Most of my disgust is due to the choir and the songs they sing--the only time I hear a song that's even slightly traditional is during Advent, Easter, and on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Otherwise, it's all of the contemporary stuff (just today the congregation was treated to "One Bread, One Body" and "Table Of Plenty).
    There is a TLM about thirty minutes from where I live, but I don't have the means to get there as of now. One day I will, though.  :pray2:
9.0, but only because there's a TLM (first after the motu in this diocese!) once on Sunday, the other Masses are still NO, but you'd be surprised at how reverent. In fact, all Trads would be, seriously.

I guess it just goes to show that VII itself had nothing to do with irreverence and heresy in and of itself, necessarily: it's all in the execution. NO Mass communion is on the tongue/kneeling at the altar rail for example. They follow the 'letter' of the VII reforms, nothing in there about necessitating communion in the hand, guitar and tambourine Masses, etc.
DFW.  8.5 or 9.  Not because of any heresy or anything unorthodox, but we do not have our own parish and we have to jump through a few hoops sometimes for the Sacraments of initiation.  We have one FSSP priest that jumps back and forth between Dallas and Fort Worth for Masses.  Solid orthodoxy though.
A 10 - fully traditional with a dedicated, holy priest.  We are very fortunate indeed.  We even had High Mass with a procession on Corpus Christi.
9-9.5

We have three very traditional minded priests - they have brought back processions and all kinds of traditional devotions.  We have one EF mass a week, but they have the NO mass in latin once a month and regularly use incense at mass. 
a 12  :laughing:
(06-14-2009, 04:48 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: [ -> ]a 12  :laughing:

You just sunk my battle ship.

I just got back from mass. The priest's sermon was on the Real Presence, the issues of fragmants of the Eucharist and how the reforms and modern priests often do not treat the Eucharist properly, the correct translation of "pro multis" (this surprised me, as he actually said the entire line in Latin in the sermon and explained it) and the reality of free will.

I'm going to see if I can get a TLM said at this parish now, perhaps on Saturday morning (at first) as this priest says that mass and the people who attend that mass are usually devout. I also know of their new (well, relatively new now) priest had attended the seminary of the FSSP for a while and this priest is a very good confessor (for any rite or form).
10 - I travel across the city (Toronto) to attend Mass at the FSSP's temporary church. The liturgy is a fantastic breath of fresh air in a stifling Canadian church (although we have only one priest at the moment, so no solemn high Mass - another will be arriving in July). The amateur choir makes a very good effort to provide sacred music, with the men (me included) singing the full propers. The people are very friendly and the pastor extremely approachable.

I give my local parish a 6. I would go insane if I had to attend their liturgy every Sunday (no liturgical norms are violated, but the indults and options are fully taken advantage of and the music is dreadful). However, the priests are orthodox, and are good confessors (they don't even fiddle around with the formula of absolution  :)). I once heard the pastor give a sermon condemning profanations of the Eucharist which had occurred earlier (hosts left in the pew). Maybe my standards are too low, but that impressed me.
(06-14-2009, 05:10 PM)Dauphin Wrote: [ -> ]I once heard the pastor give a sermon condemning profanations of the Eucharist which had occurred earlier (hosts left in the pew). Maybe my standards are too low, but that impressed me.
The priest today gave a sermon on the particles that occur and the proper treatment of the articles used for handling the Eucharist. I know of no such problems with the Eucharist in this church (being left behind), but it is good he condemned them.

I noticed that a few more people received properly after this sermon.

Jeremias 23:1-4 Wrote:Woe to the pastors, that destroy and tear the sheep of my pasture, saith the Lord. Therefore thus saith the Lord the God of Israel to the pastors that feed my people: You have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold I will visit upon you for the evil of your doings, saith the Lord. And I will gather together the remnant of my flock, out of all the lands into which I have cast them out: and I will make them return to their own fields, and they shall increase and be multiplied. And I will set up pastors over them, and they shall feed them: they shall fear no more, and they shall not be dismayed: and none shall be wanting of their number, saith the Lord.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6