FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Virginia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello to all!
  My husband will be retiring from the Marines next year and we were looking for churches in Va that have daily Latin Mass(and of course Sundays).  The only one I could find was St. Joseph's in RIchmond. If any of you attend how is it? What is the housing cost there? Do you live in Richmond or outside? Sorry I have so many questions, just trying to figure stuff out! Right now we are in Okinawa and have no Mass on a regular basis. Fr. Onoda SSPX, comes every 4-5 months for us. After such a dry spell we would like Mass everyday! Also one more questionSmile Are there a lot of homeschoolers at the parish or in the area?
Thank you all so very much!!!
God bless,
Cheryl
St. Jos is problematic...The last two times we went it was a hybrid, these were a year or two apart.

Maybe things have improved but that would be strange since the first two times we went there was no apparent problem

Our Lady of Fatima Chapel (5217 Futura, Richmond) up past Churchill has a great Sunday Mass, I do not know if they do anything during the week.

Any others will be listed here:

http://traditio.com/tradlib/masslat.pdf
(06-15-2009, 06:31 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]St. Jos is problematic...The last two times we went it was a hybrid, these were a year or two apart.

Maybe things have improved but that would be strange since the first two times we went there was no apparent problem

Our Lady of Fatima Chapel (5217 Futura, Richmond) up past Churchill has a great Sunday Mass, I do not know if they do anything during the week.

Any others will be listed here:

http://traditio.com/tradlib/masslat.pdf

I attended St. Joseph's for years, and I never knew it to be hybrid.  A dialogue Mass is not a hybrid Mass, in case that's what you were thinking of.  Everything is according to 1962 rubrics, so you can receive all of the traditional sacraments licitly.  Also, FSSP priests sometimes come to help out, as it is the home parish of the FSSP priest stationed in Chesapeake, VA (Fr. Nichols).  The people at the parish are very trad, and there are many homeschoolers among them.  As an FSSP seminarian, I ran altar boy camps and Bible camps for the kids there.  The pastor is an old-school Benedictine who was a boxer in the Navy during WWII.  He is definitely a man's man, and he's very devout.
(06-16-2009, 12:38 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]I attended St. Joseph's for years, and I never knew it to be hybrid.  A dialogue Mass is not a hybrid Mass, in case that's what you were thinking of. 

No, that is not what the problem was.  The calender they used was the NO calender, a 3 year sequence not the correct 1 year sequence.  But thanks.  This lady will have to see for herself.  Admittedly it has been several years since I attended St. Jos, since I make sure to go up the hill (to Our Lady of Fatima) every time I visit Richmond now.

They used the rubrics properly the second to last time I went but the last time was so egregious Underdog and I got up and left.
(06-16-2009, 02:20 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2009, 12:38 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]I attended St. Joseph's for years, and I never knew it to be hybrid.  A dialogue Mass is not a hybrid Mass, in case that's what you were thinking of. 

No, that is not what the problem was.   The calender they used was the NO calender, a 3 year sequence not the correct 1 year sequence.  But thanks.  This lady will have to see for herself.   Admittedly it has been several years since I attended St. Jos, since I make sure to go up the hill (to Our Lady of Fatima) every time I visit Richmond now.

They used the rubrics properly the second to last time I went but the last time was so egregious Underdog and I got up and left.

That doesn't sound right at all.  I served Mass there regularly, including serving as MC for sung Masses.  We always used the traditional Ordo, provided by the FSSP, to determine the day's Mass, and we didn't even have a N.O. Missal in the sacristy.  Are you sure you went to the same St. Joseph's?  The parishioners at St. Joseph's in Bon Air would never tolerate the use of any N.O. elements in their church.  I still keep in touch with people who go there.

Lambchopwife, don't take my word or scipio's word on this.  Visit the parish website: http://www.stjosephrichmond.org. Give the pastor a call. He will tell you everything you want to know about this parish.  If you want references from people who go to the parish, I can provide that, too (just contact me privately and I'll give you their contact info).  I have no idea what scipio is talking about, and I wish he would do some research before spreading misinformation about this fine parish.  I don't know why some SSPX people go out of their way to misinform people about the FSSP and other good, licit trad organizations.
q
(06-16-2009, 03:01 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2009, 02:20 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]

No, that is not what the problem was.   The calender they used was the NO calender, a 3 year sequence not the correct 1 year sequence.  But thanks.  This lady will have to see for herself.   Admittedly it has been several years since I attended St. Jos, since I make sure to go up the hill (to Our Lady of Fatima) every time I visit Richmond now.

That doesn't sound right at all.  I served Mass there regularly, including serving as MC for sung Masses.  We always used the traditional Ordo, provided by the FSSP, to determine the day's Mass, and we didn't even have a N.O. Missal in the sacristy.  Are you sure you went to the same St. Joseph's?  The parishioners at St. Joseph's in Bon Air would never tolerate the use of any N.O. elements in their church.  I still keep in touch with people who go there.

Lambchopwife, don't take my word or scipio's word on this.  Visit the parish website: http://www.stjosephrichmond.org. Give the pastor a call. He will tell you everything you want to know about this parish.  If you want references from people who go to the parish, I can provide that, too (just contact me privately and I'll give you their contact info).  I have no idea what scipio is talking about, and I wish he would do some research before spreading misinformation about this fine parish.  I don't know why some SSPX people go out of their way to misinform people about the FSSP and other good, licit trad organizations.

Listen kiddo, I said it was years ago!  If things have improved that is great.  Look at my whole story, it was good it got bad...now you say it's good again.

You would have known what I was talking about if you had been there the day we got up and walked out...It was preety dagon funny, heads turning, and looks to boot!

the last time I went to Mass there was 7 or 8 years ago.  And she should not take my word, nor should she take yours...she asked if anyone knew anything...I told her what I know.  If she really wants to know she'll have to go.

I do not go out of my way to down talk the FSSP or mis inform about them, I started with the FSSP and have on many threads said I hold them in respect and feel for them in the difficult position they can be put in.   When I attended St. Jo there was no FSSP priest, it was a local guy.

You better step back from the accusations you make.
(06-16-2009, 03:12 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]Listen kiddo, I said it was years ago!  If things have improved that is great.  Look at my whole story, it was good it got bad...now you say it's good again.

Look, the very first thing you said was that St. Joseph's is problematic.  That, in itself, was a misinformed and ignorant statement since you are relying on admittedly old information, and you didn't even bother doing any research before calling it problematic.  That is irresponsible.

This woman is trying to make a very big decision about where her family is going to settle down and what parish they will call home.  If she had relied on your misinformed first post, she might have immediately discounted an excellent area and an excellent parish life.  Again, that is irresponsible.
Just a little bit about me:

1)  I am an SSPX supporter
2)  I am an active duty Marine 
3)  I live in the Northern Virginia area
4)  I visited St. Joseph's two Sundays ago

I can confirm what rbjmartin has said.  No Novus Ordowry there.  You will be in good hands. 
Thanks to you both, although I hope I didn't cause problems! I have looked at the site and it looks good to me! At this point I might take a hybrid Mass since we have nothing in Okinawa. The N.O. there is horrible so we don't attend. They call the altar a table, clap and sing birthday songs to parish members during Mass. I tried talking to the priest and nothing was done. We said a novena to St. Therese to see if God wanted us to attend the Mass there and lo and behold to my surprise I received a St. Therese relic card with a pressed rose on it! So we stay home ,say the Mass prayers and watch good ole Fulton Sheen. So, you see at this point I just want Mass even a hybrid. I know this sounds horrible but when you want to be with Jesus so bad when you haven't had Him you make sacrafices. I will have to contact the parish when the time comes. Thank you both for all of your input! By the way rbjMartin did you say you were a seminarian with the FSSP?  I will pray for you to become a holy priest. We need  many of those right now!  God bless the both of you!
Cheryl
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5