FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interview with Bp. Sanborn on VII, SSPX, and the Motu Proprio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Below are some key quotes from Part I of a 2-part interview I did with Bishop Donald Sanborn this Spring.  I think most AQ readers will find themselves agreeing with all of the quotes below...

Bishop Sanborn: I think that is the essential and most fundamental question because if it is merely modified Catholicism, then we must accept it because Catholicism is so defined that its modifications can only be very slight.  I'm sure that the flavor of Catholicism in the first three centuries was quite different from the flavor of Catholicism in 1850.  You know, I think if you were in Rome in the year 250, the way in which Mass was said, and the general flavor of devotions, and so forth, would have been quite, somewhat different.  Something like walking into the Eastern Rite Mass.  You would have felt somewhat uncomfortable, I'm sure, but there is no essential difference between those two things.  And I think that if Vatican II was giving us something we're merely uncomfortable with, like a new pair of shoes, even if it were unwise or imprudent, we would have to accept it.  If it's Catholicism.  As Father Cekada puts it, he always goes, using great expressions, "If you're merely changing around the spiritual furniture in the room,” there's no right to resist such things.  It's the Church’s prerogative.

B.S. Yes, again because either it’s a Catholic Mass or it isn’t.  If it’s a Catholic Mass, than we shut down Most Holy Trinity Seminary today.  If it isn’t, it’s war.  There’s no middle between those two things.  Catholicism has an essence like anything else, a very, very defined essence with many, many characteristics.  If something defects from Catholicism, it is opposed to the Catholic Church.  There can be nothing more opposed than a false rite which is supposed to be the vehicle of truth.  It’s like an evil or poisonous medicine.  The very purpose of medicine is to cure.  Poison is contrary to the very essence of medicine, and so you know a false rite is just something that is totally unacceptable.  But again I think his character was one that he was a diplomat down to his, as the French say, down to his fingertips.  I think he approached the problem from a diplomatic point of view.  There is something to negotiate about this.  That’s why he accepted to have the Novus Ordo as late as 1988.  One New Mass said at San Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris as part of the protocol.  He referred to that later when he gave some conferences in June.  He made a passing remark about it, like “They even asked us to have a Novus Ordo said, one Novus Ordo said in San Nicholas in Paris.  This was very disappointing.”  He did not say, “I absolutely refuse to do that.”  The implication, it was never denied later, was that he accepted to do it.

B.S. Oh, certainly.  Yes, it all goes back to this combination, the fact that such a grandiose thing could happen.  It goes back to the combination of John XXIII’s, the modernist John XXIII, with the appearance of the power of the papacy.  When you join those two things, Modernism and the Papacy, and—I’m using that loosely because you can’t really join those things —when you join those two things you are capable of enormous harm on a grand scale.  It’s like an atomic bomb of power, of destruction and that’s why you had such destruction on such a grand scale because you had a fateful combination of two things.  The holding of papal power in the hands of a Modernist, Modernism being the worst thing, the worst heresy ever to hit the church according to Saint Pius X, and now it’s in the hands of someone who is at least perceived to be the Roman Pontiff.  That spells disaster.

B.S. The Catholic Church should not consider whether people of any age will respond well or not.  The Catholic Church has a solemn duty to the truth.  Whether people accept it or not really makes no difference.  It has a solemn duty to say the truth whether it’s popular or unpopular.  The council, if it were undertaken in these times—although a council is not necessary, any pope can do it—a council should undertake to underline and emphasize all of the condemnations that were done since the French Revolution and add more because there are more errors.  It should be a council that is full of anathemas more than ever before.  It should be a council that says more than Vatican II says but just the opposite.  Humanism has to be solemnly condemned.  Religious Liberty has to be solemnly condemned.  Quanta Cura, all the principles of Quanta Cura reaffirmed.  The Lumen Gentium ecclesiology has to be solemnly condemned.  Collegiality has to be solemnly condemned. 

For the entire, lengthy (it renders in Word at 30 pages) interview, click below.  It is well worth the read, no matter what you think of Bishop Sanborn or of Sedevacantism.  Part II will be forthcoming in the weeks ahead.

http://truerestoration.blogspot.com/2009...rn-on.html
(06-19-2009, 04:41 PM)dedalus28 Wrote: [ -> ]Below are some key quotes from Part I of a 2-part interview I did with Bishop Donald Sanborn this Spring.  I think most AQ readers will find themselves agreeing with all of the quotes below...

Mindless copy/paste post bump!
Bishop Sanborn just tells it like it is. As John Paul the Great Heretic once said, "It is as it was."

Ban me. I don't care.
(06-19-2009, 07:37 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2009, 04:41 PM)dedalus28 Wrote: [ -> ]Below are some key quotes from Part I of a 2-part interview I did with Bishop Donald Sanborn this Spring.  I think most AQ readers will find themselves agreeing with all of the quotes below...

CollegeCatholic

You got me.  That's what I get for posting at 2:00am. :-(
(06-19-2009, 08:20 PM)dedalus28 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2009, 07:37 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

CollegeCatholic

You got me.  That's what I get for posting at 2:00am. :-(

Lol.  Are you a Euro?  It's 2am where I'm at (Germany)
Michael, have you converted to sedevacantism or something? Fr. Pazat has told me not to heed you. Why would say that? What are you doing interviewing a schismatic?

In my humble opinon, Sanborn and the rest (generally not universally) live in their own little worlds.
(06-19-2009, 07:43 PM)tleatherland Wrote: [ -> ]Bishop Sanborn just tells it like it is. As John Paul the Great Heretic once said, "It is as it was."

Ban me. I don't care.

Shut your mouth or I'll report to have you banned. Show respect for the late pontiff and keep your Sede opinions to yourself.
(06-19-2009, 07:43 PM)tleatherland Wrote: [ -> ]Bishop Sanborn just tells it like it is. As John Paul the Great Heretic once said, "It is as it was."

Ban me. I don't care.

I understand your frustration but you should be patient. Only time (and a future Pontiff) will tell if H.H. John Paul II was a heretic or not. In the meantime, none of us has the capability to judge him although we can have our private opinions.
Don't insult our pope! Long live Pope Benedict XVI!

Pope John Paul II may have had his faults but he was a legitimate Catholic pope! Sedevacantism is NOT Catholic.
(06-20-2009, 08:08 AM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]

Ban me. I don't care.

Shut your mouth or I'll report to have you banned. Show respect for the late pontiff and keep your Sede opinions to yourself.

As I said, I don't care if I'm banned. Heretics always try to silence the truth. Why should anyone show respect to somone who usurped the Papal Throne? By the way, Didi, I think you need to heed your own advice considering the responses to so many of your "insights" in other posts.
Pages: 1 2