FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: whoa, Samaritans still exist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
the temple was destroyed more then once. the Romans did it completely in A.D. 70  but it also was destroyed the first time under Nebuchadnezzar. the Talmud started then and grew through he centuries
(06-19-2009, 11:40 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]the temple was destroyed more then once. the Romans did it completely in A.D. 70  but it also was destroyed the first time under Nebuchadnezzar. the Talmud started then and grew through he centuries

The Romans built the Temple the second time as well.
When I went to Israel we passed through a Samaritan settlement. At least, I think we did. Might be wrong.
My understanding as to why there are so few Samaritans is that the majority of them converted to Christianity or Talmudic Rabbinism (Judaism). I would not be surprised if it turned out the Maronites, Melkites, and Syriacs were descendants of Samaritans as well as early Jewish, Arab, and Caananite converts.
(06-19-2009, 09:54 PM)Tobri Wrote: [ -> ]They are only 712 of them left, but they are still kicking around strong out there by their mountain in outremer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans

Based on the section of "DNA et genetic studies", it seems to me the article is a clever social engineering that the lost tribes (Manasses, Ephraim, Levi mentioned explicitly) are still genetically identifiable.
Karaite Jews are similar in a few ways to this group.

From what I have read it seems that there are several groups claiming the title "Karaite Jews".  They may be like fringe groups claiming to be "Catholic".
karate jews ah?
fascinating. who would of thought.
I understand that the Jews stopped sacrifice when the temple was destroyed, but if so much of what was done at the temple continued on with the exile Rabinnical Judaism why didn't sacrifice hold on?  I mean, I guess I just don't understand how theologically it would make sense to drop it?  How does Yom Kippur work now?  And, I understand why modern western Judaism wouldn't do it, but it's not even practiced by the ultra-orthodox is it?
(06-20-2009, 08:50 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]karate jews ah?
fascinating. who would of thought.

Hai-Karate Jews get all the women!!

[Image: karate_1.jpg]

Maybe that is why the IDF uses Krav Maga.
(06-20-2009, 09:13 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that the Jews stopped sacrifice when the temple was destroyed, but if so much of what was done at the temple continued on with the exile Rabinnical Judaism why didn't sacrifice hold on?  I mean, I guess I just don't understand how theologically it would make sense to drop it?  How does Yom Kippur work now?  And, I understand why modern western Judaism wouldn't do it, but it's not even practiced by the ultra-orthodox is it?

Because sacrifice could only be performed in the Temple and it was destroyed. Of course, vitually none of the Temple Liturgy survived. Modern 'Judaism' is an invention of the post Temple rabbinate based on the practises of the synagogues.
Pages: 1 2 3