FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: what the heck. nuns and monks married to.. each other!? (Eastern Orthodox)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.newskete.com/about_us.htm

In the 70s or 80 a group of Greek-Catholic Fransicans converted to the Eastern Orthodox Church (OCA I believe) and founded "New Skete" (Skete is an Eastern word for monastic community), they are somewhat famous and known for their (cant think of english word for it) spiritual work as dog trainers , they were actually on Aninmal Planet here there I think, anyway from what I understand they have their special use of the Divine Liturgy which makes them unique from other Eastern Orthodox communities,

well they are even more unique than I thought! They have a special community of married couples who are professed monastics! I really don't know what to think about it.... dose not sound very Orthodox to me, I wonder what they had to do in order to get the okay from their bishop for to have nuns and monks married to each other! Seems so wrong married monastics... thoughts?

Us Catholics have Opus Dei but they dont take monastic vows and the married ones live in the world and have jobs at least!
(06-22-2009, 11:36 PM)Tobri Wrote: [ -> ]Us Catholics have Opus Dei but they dont take monastic vows and the married ones live in the world and have jobs at least!
Wish we didn't have OD.  How long, dear God. How long?
And even the non married ones (numerarys) have jobs and live in the world too... Which world they live in is anyones guess.
another thing these married monastics must have sex with each other which means they must get pregnant sometimes.... what do the kids say when ask what their parents do for a living? "Oh, my mom is a nun and my dad is a monk"  :o
(06-22-2009, 11:43 PM)Tobri Wrote: [ -> ]another thing these married monastics must have sex with each other which means they must get pregnant sometimes.... what do the kids say when ask what their parents do for a living? "Oh, my mom is a nun and my dad is a monk"  :o

that must scare their school teachers!  :o  "Those poor little illegitimate monk babies"
New Skete is kind of out thereas far as orthodoxy is concerned.  If you want to see real Orthodox monasticism then go to the great Russian monastery at Jordanville NY.

Bob
(06-23-2009, 12:41 AM)Robb Wrote: [ -> ]New Skete is kind of out thereas far as orthodoxy is concerned.  If you want to see real Orthodox monasticism then go to the great Russian monastery at Jordanville NY.

Bob

Are they in the Church (the Russian Monastery)?
(06-23-2009, 01:06 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2009, 12:41 AM)Robb Wrote: [ -> ]New Skete is kind of out thereas far as orthodoxy is concerned.  If you want to see real Orthodox monasticism then go to the great Russian monastery at Jordanville NY.

Bob

they belong to ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, though in Russian it name is literally translated as Russian Orthodox Church Foreign-soil - just an interesting little tidbit)
I vaguely remember reading some bits about early Christian ascetics, even married couples, living in celibacy as brother and sister within their own homes, something reflecting the model of the St. Joseph and the Virgin Mother. One of the folks who taught me Greek was a Christian papyrologist, and I think some of this sort of stuff does turn up in fragmentary papyri from Christian Egypt, and not only monastic texts and hagiographies.

Somewhat related: the sexual segregation of monastic communities hasn't always been so rigid. I was reading the Caedmon story in Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People and it's quite interesting that an Abbess is head of the religious community that Bede joins, and he goes to the Abbess to investigate his divine gift of poetry. It is likewise the Abbess that accepts Caedmon as a monk. I've heard one Episcopal scholar of British religious history wax poetical about these monasteries as free, colorful places, where one might expect a few kids to be running around, born to unions of monastics. I don't think that's true, but religious life historically certainly has not been the lifeless prison of popular imagination.
I don't see anything really wrong with a monastic community made up of married people. I'm sure the western church has seen such a configuration in at least one point in the past....
(06-23-2009, 01:43 AM)Tobri Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2009, 01:06 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

Bob

they belong to ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, though in Russian it name is literally translated as Russian Orthodox Church Foreign-soil - just an interesting little tidbit)

ROCOR?!!  They belong to the Orthodox Church in America (OCA).  There isn't much of a chance that a Church as conservative as ROCOR would ever accept a group as liberal as New Skete into their fold (unless they really tried to reform).
Pages: 1 2