FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fasting Rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this has been discussed here before, but a search is not yielding any results so I'll ask again.

Can anyone point me to a source which could provide detail on fasting rules in Europe prior to the time of St. Pius X? Not the pre-Communion Fast, but days of Fasting and the rules for them.

Thanks in advance.
I would try to consult - it may be on line - a facsimile of Bishop Richard Challoner's Garden of the Soul in its original edition. That gives many of the customs and holy days as found in England in the 17th cent. Alan Robinson
Does anyone have the rules for fasting in the Eastern Byzantine rite of the Catholic Church.  The rite I'm looking into is the Byzantine Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.
(06-24-2009, 01:03 PM)kclaib Wrote: [ -> ]I know this has been discussed here before, but a search is not yielding any results so I'll ask again.

Can anyone point me to a source which could provide detail on fasting rules in Europe prior to the time of St. Pius X? Not the pre-Communion Fast, but days of Fasting and the rules for them.

Thanks in advance.

I can't vouch for these sources, but a quick google turns up a couple titles that may help:

Food and Feast in Medieval Society, Bridget Ann Henisch, Pennsylvania State University Press, 1976, ISBN 0-271-00424-X
Daily Life in the Late Middle Ages, Edited by Richard Britnell, Sutton Publishing, Glouchestershire, 1998 ISBN 0-7509-1587-0

And in a more roundabout way:

An Ordinance of Pottage: An Edition of the 15th C. Culinary Recipes in Yale University’s MS Beinecke 163, Constance Hieatt, Prospect Books, 1988, ISBN 0-907325-38-6
Fabulous Feasts- Medieval Cookery and Ceremony, Madeleine P. Cosman, George Brazillier, 1976, ISBN- 0-8076-0898-X

(06-24-2009, 04:17 PM)Achonry Wrote: [ -> ]I would try to consult - it may be on line - a facsimile of Bishop Richard Challoner's Garden of the Soul in its original edition. That gives many of the customs and holy days as found in England in the 17th cent. Alan Robinson

Perfect! I found what I needed on pages 17 and 18 of the scan at the Internet Archive.

Thanks for your help!
(06-24-2009, 04:17 PM)Achonry Wrote: [ -> ]I would try to consult - it may be on line - a facsimile of Bishop Richard Challoner's Garden of the Soul in its original edition. That gives many of the customs and holy days as found in England in the 17th cent. Alan Robinson
By the way, this is a beautiful little book.
The Catholic Encyclopedia was copyrighted only 3 years after Pius X death, so it's probably going to be correct.
www.newadvent.org. I'd read the articles on Fast, Abstinence, and Ember Days
(06-24-2009, 04:23 PM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have the rules for fasting in the Eastern Byzantine rite of the Catholic Church.  The rite I'm looking into is the Byzantine Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.

Do you want traditional rules or the relaxed, standard eparchial rules?
Both please.  Smile