FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Saying the Rosary in Public
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hello Fisheaters,

Like many of you, I am also eagerly trying to say as many rosaries as I can to participate effectively in the new Rosary Crusade of the SSPX for the Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

For this reason I was wondering what your thoughts are on saying the rosary in public places. As my work life is quite busy these days,  I try to fit extra rosaries into my commuting time, and whenever I have a free moment, though my attentiveness to prayer does suffer when I pray in public.

In addition to this I am also curious if anyone has seen other strangers saying the rosary in public? I live in Asia and since i have been here, I have been struck by how many times I see people saying the rosary on the bus, subway or on the street. In fact about a year ago I was exiting the subway and went to use the public washroom. When inside I saw an older man at the urinal, rosary in one hand and his in the other.

I am not sure what to make of that  --- but it leads back to my question:

"What are your thoughts on saying the rosary in public?"

I've said it in public during pilgrimages. Usually it's better to stop and kneel preferably before a cross when saying it.

I've never seen it being said while going around doing everyday's business such as the ones you described.
What do you mean by "public"?

Praying in public, or publically praying?

One can (and should) pray at any time. I often pray in public, although I do it privately so most do not see it.

Praying in groups or for a cause for a public reason is also good. Praying to show off in public, to be seen for one's own benefit, is not proper.

(06-24-2009, 08:41 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Fisheaters,

Like many of you, I am also eagerly trying to say as many rosaries as I can to participate effectively in the new Rosary Crusade of the SSPX for the Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

For this reason I was wondering what your thoughts are on saying the rosary in public places. As my work life is quite busy these days,  I try to fit extra rosaries into my commuting time, and whenever I have a free moment, though my attentiveness to prayer does suffer when I pray in public.

In addition to this I am also curious if anyone has seen other strangers saying the rosary in public? I live in Asia and since i have been here, I have been struck by how many times I see people saying the rosary on the bus, subway or on the street. In fact about a year ago I was exiting the subway and went to use the public washroom. When inside I saw an older man at the urinal, rosary in one hand and his in the other.

I am not sure what to make of that  --- but it leads back to my question:

"What are your thoughts on saying the rosary in public?"

I did it once while walking to the store (in Germany).  Plan on doing it again.  Haven't seen it happen terribly often though.  If I was more confident in the structural integrity of my rosary, I'd probably say it outdoors a lot more (that, or I need to stop using that as an excuse to not say it outdoors...?).
To clarify: what I mean by saying the rosary in public, is saying the rosary quietly to oneself, usually non-verbal, but obviously fingering the beads etc.

One thing I have noticed here where I live is that small finger "ring" rosaries are becoming increasingly popular, I see young people wearing them now alot, but I think it is more a fashion accessory these days than an actual devotional item. One can find them in 14K and 24K gold in the jewelry stores too. I think mothers buy them for their sons and daughters hoping they will use them.

When I was young my grandparents would say the rosary when in the car, or on a bus or sitting on the porch etc. So saying the rosary while in a public space seems natural to me, but I am curious what other people's feedback is on this.

This morning I was on the bus and sat next to an old lady, I took out my rosary  and she took out her Buddhist beads.... I hope that isn't sencretism. haha!
(06-24-2009, 08:43 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I did it once while walking to the store (in Germany).  Plan on doing it again.  Haven't seen it happen terribly often though.  If I was more confident in the structural integrity of my rosary, I'd probably say it outdoors a lot more (that, or I need to stop using that as an excuse to not say it outdoors...?).

I could make you a rosary that is virtually indestructible for public use. Free of charge, just an address needed.

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/blackknot.jpg/
(06-24-2009, 08:55 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]To clarify: what I mean by saying the rosary in public, is saying the rosary quietly to oneself, usually non-verbal, but obviously fingering the beads etc.

When I was young my grandparents would say the rosary when in the car, or on a bus or sitting on the porch etc. So saying the rosary while in a public space seems natural to me, but I am curious what other people's feedback is on this.
I often pray at bus stops and while walking. I keep my rosary in my pocket though usually. The rosary I carry around isn't small and it is all skulls, so it isn't what I'd call discreet Smile

Quote:This morning I was on the bus and sat next to an old lady, I took out my rosary  and she took out her Buddhist beads.... I hope that isn't sencretism. haha!
It is called a "mala" in case it comes up again.
I have done it, usually when waiting for medical tests. The little hospital I go to is Catholic, but they have those crucifixes with Christ Risen.
They have a pa system and remind us to pray at hourly intervals with short Chapters. I noticed one day while waiting an older woman of Eastern European possibly Ukrainian nationality, she stopped at every Crucifix made a bow to the waist and rose back and made the sign of the Cross at every one on the way out. For whatever reason she kept glancing at me though she couldn't see my rosary. ESP maybe?
tim  
I pray the rosary in public all the time.  Every day after work I take a long walk  and pray my rosary.  I never gave it a thought that people might see me.  However one time I was crossing an intersection.  I had to wait at this red light.  At the same time there was this tattooed covered biker (looked like hell's angel type but I am sure he wasn't.)  I caught him starring at me.  He started to take off and as he passed me he asked, "are you praying the rosary?"  I answered yes and as he drove off gave me the thumbs up approval.
Daniel
(06-24-2009, 09:11 PM)kzarah Wrote: [ -> ] I had to wait at this red light.  At the same time there was this tattooed covered biker (looked like hell's angel type but I am sure he wasn't.)

Careful with labels, as biker gangs (real ones) are highly structured. It was unlikely he was a Hell's Angel. A Hell's Angel (or any of the four major gangs) may dress in any manner.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8