FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New Priest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A surprise at church today. I knew a priest was leaving (the younger one whose was a great confessor, and was part FSSP trained, although he didn't finish it there) and I found out his replacement (I presume anyway). A priest, a young priest, wearing a cassock came in and hear confession. He was quite orthodox as well and a good confessor. Now that I think of it, I was probably the first person here whose confesssion he heard.

I don't know his name or past, but I thought you might want to know that the NO has such priests.
(06-27-2009, 04:59 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]I thought you might want to know that the NO has such priests.
some here may find it hard to believe, but that kind of priest is the only kind I've ever come across. I've never come across a real modernist, liberal priest in my diocese. I guess I'm really lucky, or just haven't run into them, either way I thank God.
When I joined the church through RCIA in 2001 we learned the faith from a holy priest. this priest and pastor is always in his cassock (only once I saw him in a suit, on his way to an airport). The only thing I think anyone wouldn't like is that he is called by his first name, scandalous.
I would dare say that this "NO" priest is one of the holiest priests I've ever come across. His love for Our Eucharistic Lord and Our Lady is truly inspiring!
(06-27-2009, 05:28 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I think anyone wouldn't like is that he is called by his first name, scandalous.

Not really. Last names have only been common for a thousand years or so.
I wish every priest wore their cassocks.
(06-27-2009, 05:34 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2009, 05:28 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I think anyone wouldn't like is that he is called by his first name, scandalous.

Thanks for the info. I really don't see any problem with calling a priest Father Mike, Bill, Joseph, etc. as long as proper respect is followed. I would never call a priest by his first name if I wasn't familiar with him, but it seems really strange to me to call "Father John Smith" Father Smith and not Father John if you are close to him and he is really a Father figure. Maybe I'm just not seeing to point, but I don't think it's a big deal.
I knew an FSSP priest who asked by a monsignor to talk to some young school kids. When he walked into the room the kids' attention was grabbed by the fact that he was wearing a cassock-completely alien to them. They completely ignored the monsignor and listened to the FSSP priest, totally transfixed. The monsignor later slipped back into his old black and red cassock but told the priest that he did that because he didn't want him "to feel out of place."
(06-27-2009, 05:49 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for the info. I really don't see any problem with calling a priest Father Mike, Bill, Joseph, etc. as long as proper respect is followed. I would never call a priest by his first name if I wasn't familiar with him, but it seems really strange to me to call "Father John Smith" Father Smith and not Father John if you are close to him and he is really a Father figure. Maybe I'm just not seeing to point, but I don't think it's a big deal.

I don't know.  It's still proper etiquette in this society to call adults Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith, Dr. Ford etc.  I think priests should be given the same respect, and they should respect their role enough to encourage others to call them by their last names.  I may know Mr. Smith quite well, but that doesn't mean I should start calling him Bob.
(06-27-2009, 05:53 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know.  It's still proper etiquette in this society to call adults Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith, Dr. Ford etc.  I think priests should be given the same respect, and they should respect their role enough to encourage others to call them by their last names.  I may know Mr. Smith quite well, but that doesn't mean I should start calling him Bob.
I do understand what you're saying, but I just don't see the big deal, maybe I'm just being difficult today. I do know a priest (former assosiate pastor) who was a very holy man and also always had a cassock on who requested to be called Father Bill rather than by his last name. I guess it was just his preference?

(06-27-2009, 05:59 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2009, 05:53 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]

I do understand what you're saying, but I just don't see the big deal, maybe I'm just being difficult today. I do know a priest (former assosiate pastor) who was a very holy man and also always had a cassock on who requested to be called Father Bill rather than by his last name. I guess it was just his preference?

Yeah.  I don't know.  It would seem that, at least, one should call him Father William.  Maybe priests feel that it is a necessary step toward regaining reverence and respect for priests at all.  All I know is that I've only ever met one diocesan priest who asked to be called by his last name and the one ICK priest I knew asked to be called by his last.
When it comes to names, I usually go by what people tell me to call them, otherwise I default to the cultural norm of that person. The priest leaving used his first name (his last name was also often a first name for females, so perhaps that is a good reason).

(06-27-2009, 05:28 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]some here may find it hard to believe, but that kind of priest is the only kind I've ever come across. I've never come across a real Modernist, liberal priest in my diocese. I guess I'm really lucky, or just haven't run into them, either way I thank God.
When I joined the church through RCIA in 2001 we learned the faith from a holy priest. this priest and pastor is always in his cassock (only once I saw him in a suit, on his way to an airport). The only thing I think anyone wouldn't like is that he is called by his first name, scandalous.
I would dare say that this "NO" priest is one of the holiest priests I've ever come across. His love for Our Eucharistic Lord and Our Lady is truly inspiring!

I haven't met any full blown modernist priests either, just those confused and unsure (not their fault usually).
Pages: 1 2 3