FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cakes: the painful truth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(07-06-2009, 07:49 PM)Joamy Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2009, 07:39 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]Joamy - is that monkey cake, or RV?

Pic was Red Velvet.  I don't have my prints back yet, but here is what the monkey cake looked like (almost, not quite - cupcakes for the ears in our case and just frosting.)

[Image: peanut-butter-monkey-cake-8098.jpg]

Those look suspiciously like pecans on that monkey's face.  May I say  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: ?
coco crispies.

::)

:grandpa: :grandpa: :grandpa:

glasses.

I knew it - you colored that photograph.

you were never that young.

(07-06-2009, 07:58 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]coco crispies.

glasses.

Coco Crispies my left eye.  Those are pecans.

Coco Crispies are the Chik Fil A of the breakfast cereal world.  Why would you combine Rice Krispies with chocolate?  Answer:  You wouldn't, unless you were a eugenicist who likes to muck with the natural order of things.  Bah!  And again I say, BAH!
(07-06-2009, 07:48 PM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]I like red velvet cake better than most other cakes, and I am not going to moan out, "NO, not red velvet cake again!"   :P  Of course, whatever cake it is, I would have made it myself anyway.  When I was growing up, I made the birthday cakes for everyone from the time I was about 10 or 11.  To this day I make my father's birthday cake, or he does not get one.  ::)  (Of course, his birthday is on Valentine's Day, so he generally gets red velvet cake, or he gets no cake and goes for lots of chocolates.)  But what do you mean that you put butter-cream icing on your red velvet cake?!  NO!  It is supposed to be cream-cheese icing, always.  The exact same icing as you put on carrot cake.  

Hmm.  Our wedding cake I ordered from a grocery store.  We got married on a budget, and everything--my dress, the organist's fee, the flowers, the halls, the food, the flowers, etc.--was just under $2000 US, so the cake was one of the larger budget items at about $100 US.  It was white cake with white icing.

I don't really have an excuse for making my own birthday cakes.  My mother didn't bake from the time she turned the kitchen over to me (at about 10 or 11), so there it was.  Oh, I remember!  On my 17th birthday she got a friend of hers to bake an angel-food cake.  (I'm not a fan of angel-food, but my mother is.)  We stopped at the friend's house on the way back from grocery shopping, and we ate cake for 15 minutes.  That was the entire party.  *shrug*  What are you going to do?  My birthday is near Thanksgiving.  Usually they just skipped a party entirely.

Off-topic, but I think that that is all right since I started the thread: I wore the same outfit to my 12th birthday party that I did to my 18th.  I did not get new clothes very often.  :-[

You sound like a wonderful wife and daughter. I hope you took my post in a humorous fashion as I like being humorous. As to Icing. Yes that is butter based as in that off white looking icing. Thats what one does down here. Cream Cheese is some Yankee confiction that got popular with watching Oprah.  ;D
(07-06-2009, 08:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2009, 07:58 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]coco crispies.

glasses.

Coco Crispies my left eye.  Those are pecans.

Coco Crispies are the Chik Fil A of the breakfast cereal world.  Why would you combine Rice Krispies with chocolate?  Answer:  You wouldn't, unless you were a eugenicist who likes to muck with the natural order of things.  Bah!  And again I say, BAH!

what a sad thing .

that cute little kid grew up to be a myopic, coco- crispie hating , grumpy old white bearded man with a cane.

:(

:(

:pointlaff:      :grandpa: 
Oh come on.  Nobody likes Coco Crispies.  Nobody.  You start a poll here on FE, wouldn't be 2 people that would admit to liking Coco Crispies.
(07-04-2009, 09:16 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, here it is.

I don't really like cake.

There are a few exceptions (carrot cake, German chocolate cake, and yogurt-spice cake), but that is all.  Cake is just all right.  It's edible; it's fine.  It's just nothing special.

I have made cakes for years.  Marble-swirl, chocolate, yellow, double-chocolate snack cake, the better-than-most-but-still-just-a-cake red velvet cake, white cake, etc. But they're nothing I really want.

It's just that, whenever I get ready to bake something (which is several times a week), cake is not really on the radar.  Carrot cake is what I make for my husband's birthday, and for me, German chocolate cake entails making from-scratch caramel coconut icing--meaning I make the caramel from scratch, too.  ::)  It's a pain.  I sometimes make yogurt-spice cake, which is more a snack-cake.  It is not iced, and it is not that sweet.  It goes well with coffee.

I bake cookies, bars, and pies.  I make cheesecake.  I make fudge (rocky road fudge, actually).  I just . . . try to avoid making cakes anymore.

Is this normal?  Is there help for me?   ;) Or should I simply give up on cake and accept that the memories I have of cakes in childhood (which I made myself then, too) are rose-colored?

Haha you know, I don't really like cake either. I eat it sometimes at social functions to be polite (eg if my extended family is celebrating my birthday, I'll have some cake), but I never enjoy it. I think it's because I was a vegan for a year some years ago, and because virtually all commercial candies and baked goods and things had dairy, I was weaned off of the intense sweet taste. Also, vegan baking tends to be very bold in openly using whole grains and less sweetener, unorthodox as that might seem to non-vegan bakers (it's already "weird", because it's vegan, so why not!), so that's also what I got used to with home-made cakes and things. I still bake that way, and it suits everybody just fine. No bellyaches or fatigue from too much sugar and white flour.  :thumb:
I would try using whole grains and oats, and less sweetener, and see whether you find it any more enjoyable. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy fruit and licorice tea instead.
(07-06-2009, 07:49 PM)Joamy Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2009, 07:39 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]Joamy - is that monkey cake, or RV?

Pic was Red Velvet.  I don't have my prints back yet, but here is what the monkey cake looked like (almost, not quite - cupcakes for the ears in our case and just frosting.)

[Image: peanut-butter-monkey-cake-8098.jpg]

That's awesome! I'm astounded at what people can do in making cakes into certain shapes and objects. One of my step-brother's wedding cake was in a shape of a Wii.  :laughing:
(07-06-2009, 08:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Oh come on.  Nobody likes Coco Crispies.  Nobody.  You start a poll here on FE, wouldn't be 2 people that would admit to liking Coco Crispies.

I love COCO CRISPIES.

you have to use regular rice krispies for marshmallow squares, but after that it's every krispie for itself.

You're going to feel horrible in the morning when you face your bowl of coco krispies -

- turncoat.

and all of it just so you could be disagreeable.

:hello!:
(07-06-2009, 08:20 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2009, 08:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Oh come on.  Nobody likes Coco Crispies.  Nobody.  You start a poll here on FE, wouldn't be 2 people that would admit to liking Coco Crispies.

I love COCO CRISPIES.

you have to use regular rice krispies for marshmallow squares, but after that it's every krispie for itself.

You're going to feel horrible in the morning when you face your bowl of coco krispies -

- turncoat.

and all of it just so you could be disagreeable.

:hello!:

If you insist on a chocolate cereal, eat Cocoa Puffs.  :cuckoo:  Cocoa Crispies are a perversion of a breakfast classic.  I love Rice Krispies.  Coco Krispies offends me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13