FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp W column, 7.4.09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(07-05-2009, 04:20 PM)columba Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2009, 03:21 PM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]So exactly what are women allowed to do?

First of all, my congratulations on seamlessly switching topics away from Bp. Williamson's inescapable logic to such an open-ended question of no hard and fast rules. I will answer, but only under protest and in a limited way that redirects back on-topic.

Girls should not develop the athletic hardness that results from mixed sport competion at a young age. Instead girls should take part in physical activities like dancing, tumbling, swimming or even girl-only sport leagues with aim of teaching girls to be lady-like. Obviously there are exceptions, but these are rules of thumb for traditional child-rearing. In the teen years, sex-segregated schooling is much to be preferred.
Well I'm glad you want to get back to Williamson's opinions which is what is the point of the topic.

I'm sorry but I laughed at your suggestions for women sports in light of your disagreement of something like Tennis.
Dancing is a very competitive and exhausting sport. If cycling messes up women's cycles I'm sure dancing does too. The muscles women build in their legs from dancing could rival the average man's. Ballet dancing is also an almost cruel sport that I don't think I would want my daughter playing, for it destroys a girl's feet and before she is thirty is already washed up and is stuck with being an instructor. I also find it amusing that the ballet was very controversial when it first originated for it was seen as highly erotic and improper for Christians. The same goes for women's gymnastics. I know a woman who used to swim and though very lady like and feminine she has the broadest shoulders I've ever seen on a woman and no chest. So tell me why something like Tennis is wrong for women to engage in but these sports you mentioned are ok, especially since they bring the same criticisms Women's Tennis received on this thread?
Quote:An opinion? it is reality. I didn't say every single person feels the same, but the vast majority do. You will always have a cult folllowing and those die hard fans who believe in the women and the sport that they are playing. For the overwhelming majority of people I am right. Unproven? Have you seen the attendance figures for female sports? The stats and numbers don't lie. They record reality. TV ratings are really dismal and will never compete with male sports. The prooof is out there.
I already explained why women's sports are considered boring and are not popular for viewing. This still does not constitute proof of it's "naturalness."
That the female sports are boring is not irrelevant, but very telling. Why would a sport played by men be exciting, but when played by women be boring? It is the exact same sport. It is because it is unnatural. It doesn't feel the same. One expects it to be right and exciting when men do it because it belongs to the nature of men. We want to see men play these sports because men make it exciting, since it is made for men.

I already explained why women's sports are considered boring and are not popular for viewing. This still does not constitute proof of it's "un-naturalness." As it currently stands the NO is more popular than the TLM....does popularity equal validity?
Can we all just agree that, had Cardinal Mahony said something like this, he'd be ridiculed for saying it, but when the great, almighty, powerful, and wise Bp. Williamson says it, it's nearly private revelation, written from the Hand of God?
You question His Holi-I mean Eminence?! You must be one of the Bogus Ordo Catholics who want destroy distinction between the sexes!
(07-05-2009, 04:46 PM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]You question His Holi-I mean Eminence?! You must be one of the Bogus Ordo Catholics who want destroy distinction between the sexes!

Yeah, I'm a closet Freemason Zionist, Nervous Ordo, Pope-worshipping, cookie-eating cafeteria and cultural Catholic who is a bootlicking fuzzyphile and is helping to usher in the New World Order.

;)
(07-05-2009, 04:50 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2009, 04:46 PM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]You question His Holi-I mean Eminence?! You must be one of the Bogus Ordo Catholics who want destroy distinction between the sexes!

Yeah, I'm a closet Freemason Zionist, Nervous Ordo, Pope-worshipping, cookie-eating cafeteria and cultural Catholic who is a bootlicking fuzzyphile and is helping to usher in the New World Order.

;)

Cookie-eating? :o
That's what Scipio calls any Host consecrated at a Pauline Mass.
(07-05-2009, 04:33 PM)columba Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2009, 04:19 PM)flannerywannabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2009, 03:37 PM)columba Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and let us not be afraid to look at the realities. Men and women are not the same. They are not "equal" in anything besides worth before God. Women are in fact superior in many irreplaceable ways. Let us not continue to deprive society of that superiority.

I couldn't agree more, but I hesitate to conclude that women's professional sports -- or any number of other activities -- necessarily "deprive society of that superiority." And -- I'm not saying you are doing this, or anyone else -- but whenever and wherever "that superiority" is treated as just a synonym for "fecundity in childbearing," society is indeed deprived of a great deal of women's full and irreplaceable contribution.

Virginity and fecundity are traditionally considered the two most signal qualities of female grace (on second thought, I would say the idea of "superiority" is modern-ist) with virginity the greater of the two. The culture propounded by modern elites would rob us of both.

The loss of the ideals of virginity and fecundity in contemporary secular culture is indeed terrible. And yes, let's leave the notion of superiority out of the picture, since it is a largely irrelevant discussion for Catholics, except as virtue makes individual persons superior in the order of grace regardless of gender.

However, I question whether proposition (b), women should not play professional sports, follows logically from true premise (a), we should privilege and uphold virginity and fecundity in both sexes but especially in women. Neither pro nor con commenters have been able to conclusively prove or disprove (b) to my satisfaction, and I remain on the fence. The thing seems to admit of legitimate disagreement among persons of good will.

(07-05-2009, 04:53 PM)didishroom Wrote: [ -> ]That's what Scipio calls any Host consecrated at a Pauline Mass.

Ah, I get it now! :tiphat:
Yeah he's like our very own Jack Chick for the Novus Ordo. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26