FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp W column, 7.4.09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Since the window of my present habitation looks out in the distance over Wimbledon Park, I have been seeing for the last week or so crowds of sports fans often camping out overnight to get good seats for the world’s top tennis tournament held every year close by. Example pulls. One evening I went myself for a few hours.

To read the entire column:

http://dinoscopus.blogspot.com/2009/07/e...ledon.html
Quote:So here is a practical question: when a woman commits herself to championship tennis or any other male-enhancing sport, can she regard as anything other than a nuisance to be got rid of, that sometimes crippling reminder each month from God that she was designed for the continuation of the human race? Scorning or blocking her fertility, how can she foster it for maternity

I wish more people spoke like Bishop Williamson!  Professional woman sports have always seemed very awkward to me. 
Ummm, you can still play tennis during your period (I presume that's what he's referring to) with the pads, in the same way you can do any activity during your period. It's a awfully big stretch of logic to say that women will necessarily want to suppress their fertility just so that they can play a game. What does he think women did before the advent of contraception? Either used rags the same as any other period day, or played some other time. Tennis is a sport women have been playing for quite a long time. Shakespeare, for instance, uses a scene where two women have been playing, I think it may be in As You Like It, but I'd need to double-check.
[Image: medievaltennis.jpg]
(07-04-2009, 02:15 PM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Ummm, you can still play tennis during your period (I presume that's what he's referring to) with the pads, in the same way you can do any activity during your period. It's a awfully big stretch of logic to say that women will necessarily want to suppress their fertility just so that they can play a game. What does he think women did before the advent of contraception? Either used rags the same as any other period day, or played some other time. Tennis is a sport women have been playing for quite a long time. Shakespeare, for instance, uses a scene where two women have been playing, I think it may be in As You Like It, but I'd need to double-check.
[Image: medievaltennis.jpg]

Anastasia - do you think that there is a fair comparison between the tennis portrayed by Shakespeare and the tennis played by Venus Williams and Sharapova?  I'm not saying I agree wholeheartedly with Bp. Williamson's column, but please, it's a bit of a stretch to use the gentle recreations of the time of the Bard and the 120 mile per hour serves delivered in fabric that would barely be a good enough napkin for dinner that I witnessed two weeks ago.
I think professional sports are stupid.  Period.
Yes, I think it's a fair comparison: it's the same game with the same basic rules, the same number of players, and the same equipment: the speed of the ball doesn't alter that. At what mile per hour does tennis stop being appropriate for women?
The only thing in the world more dull than playing tennis is watching other people do it. 
(07-04-2009, 05:51 PM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I think it's a fair comparison: it's the same game with the same basic rules, the same number of players, and the same equipment: the speed of the ball doesn't alter that. At what mile per hour does tennis stop being appropriate for women?

Women who whip themselves into extraordinary shape often do so at the expense of their menstrual cycle.  Not only in sports but also ballet and running and other activities that are brutal at the highest levels of competition.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/vo...rities.htm
Ah yes, it's been a while since His Excellency took the time to chide women for leaving their kitchens.....
I don't watch the women playing tennis, although I love watching the men play.  Not to be taken the wrong way.  Andy Murray will win Wimbledon next year, when he improves his service game.  Andy Roddick did well to beat him, but Murray is much more exciting to watch.  I expected him to win, as his record of wins against Roddick had indicated.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26