FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Motu Proprio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
On this two year anniversary of Pope Benedict's Motu Proprio on the Latin Mass, I wanted to ask those who read this post if they have seen any response in the areas where they live.  Positive or negative. 

In my area, New Jersey, there is ofcourse the Mater Ecclesiae Mission established in 2000 which is my parish.  Very soon after the Motu Proprio, a Solemn High Mass was offered for the very first time in Our Lady of Lourdes Church.  However,  there are only two parishes that offer the Tridentine Mass regularly once per week that I know of in my diocese.  There are also several priests learning how to say the Latin Mass.

God has indeed blessed my particular diocese with priests and faithful who do love the Latin Mass and the Traditional faith.  However, judging from what I have observed, I would say the response has been largely indifferent to quite negative.   
I haven't seen a change around here, either.  There was one TLM in Baltimore before the Motu Proprio and there is still just one now.  I have always wanted to get one going in my own parish, but...no success so far sad
I know that in San Antonio, after the Moto Propio, the indult Mass moved to Saint Pius X and has  been growing ever since.  I believe they reach up to 300 to 400 on some Sundays.

Around May of 2008, Holy Name Parish received a new Pastor and a Priest from Spain (not from the diocese), and they started daily and Sunday Traditional Latin Masses, along with the Ordinary Form in English and Spanish.  They didn't take anything from the regular schedule but added two masses, the TLM and the Spanish mass for the 60%+ Hispanic population in the parish (and I believe my demographics are rather conservative).  The Parish already had four English masses and a Saturday evening English Mass.  The new pastor started daily confessions, visiting parishoners at home to bring the sacraments to the ones who couldn't make it to church, and they opened the church at 5:00 a.m.  and closed it at 10:00 p.m.  They moved the Crucifix to the center of the sanctuary, secured the keys to the tabernacle (which had been left next to the tabernacle in the past), did away with Eucharistic Ministers, female altar servers, and all the tamberines, horns, drums, etc. that were used in the masses previously.   These changes of course did not sit well with the so called elite of the parish which had been pretty much allowed to run things as they pleased.  Of course the usual complaining, gossiping, and rudeness followed.  Priests from outside the parish of course didn't help, but escalated things since  these two priests didn't quite fit the secular and modernistic profile that they had expected in order to fit in to their group, if anything these two priests were a threat to their livelyhood.  So, as the old story goes, the cold shoulder, silent treatment and whatever other psychological and disinformation tactics were applied to make these two priest feel alientated.  Well they did, and when there contract came up (of course they were only given a one year contract) they chose not to accept it, but to leave.   Now we have 200+ faithful without a TLM mass unless we travel to the north side and attend Saint Pius X.
I haven't seen a single change in Cincinnati, but keep in mind that for the past year we have been in a transitional period with bishops - with Archbishop Dennis Schnurr officially on board August 1, 2009. This might make a difference.

We do have one diocesan parish (Sacred Heart in Camp Washington) where the TLM is celebrated every Sunday by FSSP priests -- but I can't really say it's a response to the Motu Proprio because it's been going on for quite some time now.

- Lisa
As ovidio suggested, San Antonio has had moderate improvement thanks to the motu proprio. It's not quite as dramatic as the reports on The New Liturgical Movement blog, though.
(07-07-2009, 02:23 PM)AveMaria82 Wrote: [ -> ]On this two year anniversary of Pope Benedict's Motu Proprio on the Latin Mass, I wanted to ask those who read this post if they have seen any response in the areas where they live.  Positive or negative. 

In my area, New Jersey, there is ofcourse the Mater Ecclesiae Mission established in 2000 which is my parish.  Very soon after the Motu Proprio, a Solemn High Mass was offered for the very first time in Our Lady of Lourdes Church.  However,  there are only two parishes that offer the Tridentine Mass regularly once per week that I know of in my diocese.  There are also several priests learning how to say the Latin Mass.

God has indeed blessed my particular diocese with priests and faithful who do love the Latin Mass and the Traditional faith.  However, judging from what I have observed, I would say the response has been largely indifferent to quite negative.   

In Illinois the number of parishes offering Tridentine Mass almost doubled to 28, and 19 of them offers it every week. The FSSP , St John Cantius, Institute of Christ the King offers masses each of the in two places every day. Both the St John Cantius and Institute of Christ hold conferences regularly for priest to teach the TLM
Nothing really at all in south-central Missouri -- the so-called "Catholics" around here, for the most part, are just as Protestant as the Protestants that infest this area.  It is unfortuante.

I am still forced to travel a 4 hour and 30 minute round trip for the True Mass, at the SSPX chapel in Sprinfield, MO.
Thanks to the Motu Proprio, I can attend Low Mass very Sunday and Holy Day, and High Mass once a month. Thank you, Holy Father!
Your comments on my reflection for the 2 Year Anniversary are appreciated.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2009/0...rsary.html
In the Pittsburgh Diocese there has been absolutely no change.  In fact, the diocese is still attempting to restrict priests from saying the 1962 Mass as if an indult were still needed.   

Since it is the second aniversary of SP, I have just completed a letter to the bishop that I plan on cc-ing to the PCED.  I will not reveal the contents of the letter now as I would not want to publish the text on the Internet before the bishop has a chance to read it.  I may publish it at a later time.

I do have one question...  I see an address for the Ecclesia Dei Commision here:  http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dxed0.html  However, something does not seem right about it as there is no mention of Vatican City.  Can anybody provide a correct address for the PCED?

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4