FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vicodin, Percocet to be axed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
In my bad ol' days, I had a friend with a doctor for a dad so we used to pilfer vicodin bubble packs out of his home office (we were in our 20's too which makes it even more pathetic.)  We did this because it was costing too much to get drunk when we went out.  We'd take vicodin so that after 2 drinks we'd be smashed.  Apparently we didn't stop to think why it was only taking 2 drinks.

MAN WE WERE STUPID.  I'm lucky I didn't die.
oops.
Well, let's see:
csection#1: Percocet & Darvocet & Motrin. 
csection#2: Lortab (aka Vicodin) & Motrin. 
csection#3: Vicodin & Motrin. 

I found out with my 2nd that Vicodin is GRRRRRREAT.  I had almost no pain & a wonderful mood, which is the opposite of my experience with #1.  I had my dr agree ahead of time with #3 that should I again need a csection I had to have Vicodin.  Had to have it.  If I have to go with just oxycodone after #4, etc., then I'm definitely adding my own Tylenol to the mix.  It's just stupid to have to treat pain from just one angle.  Tylenol takes care of the pain right in the central nervous system, while Motrin (or any NSAID) takes care of pain at the site. 

When my children have persistent fevers I alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 3 hours, which is more effective than using either of them alone.  It's also about the only pain reliever/fever reducer safe for pregnant women b/c ibuprofen is unsafe for unborn babies.

Personally, I think Tylenol is a wonder drug.  :P
Quote:Since we have an enormous number of stupid people in the country, drugs should be less accessible off the shelf.

I deeply resent stupid people causing me to have less options than I could have.  I'm still ticked at the hoops through which I have to jump just to get some decent Sudafed.  Take my Tylenol and it's fighting time!

Underdog, I had surgery in March and they gave me Norco instead of Vicodin.  I started to object but the doctor explained that it's the same narcotic as Vicodin... just with a lower dosage of Tylenol.  I kept calling them Narcos, though.  Boy, I tell you... hydrocodone sure makes me happy and lovey.  I can see why they're abused. 

(07-08-2009, 04:14 PM)phnuggle Wrote: [ -> ]Accutane already got killed off.

That's because it causes massive birth defects.

Vicodin makes me really nauseous and miserable.  I took it once after having some wisdom teeth out, and stuck with ibuprofen after that. 
(07-09-2009, 01:38 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-08-2009, 04:14 PM)phnuggle Wrote: [ -> ]Accutane already got killed off.

That's because it causes massive birth defects.

Vicodin makes me really nauseous and miserable.  I took it once after having some wisdom teeth out, and stuck with ibuprofen after that. 

I, in contrast, understand Gregory House. I looooved the two days after I had my wisdom teeth out. Two days of Heaven, eating ice cream and taking happy pills.
Almost every drug on the market has at least one horrible side effect that makes you stop and think 'hmm is this really worth it?' and NO drug is safe if you overdose; kinda like cigarettes but hey that's why they have warning labels. So here's the solution...take 30 seconds to read what you're putting in your body and if you don't feel like heeding the warning then by all means its your party from there. Pollute yourself if you want to...its not my body your killing. SO THERE!
(07-08-2009, 03:51 PM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]Normally I don't like the FDA messing around with what drugs are allowed and which are not, but acetaminophen probably should have never been made available over-the-counter.  Actually, over-the-counter is a misnomer.  That means without a prescription, i. e., your pharmacist can give it to you.  But who talks to a pharmacist anymore?   In years past, when even morphine was easy to get, people went to their local druggist and got good advice there.  Now everyone expects to buy their drugs, not just over-the-counter (without prescription), but off the shelf without consulting anyone.  Since we have an enormous number of stupid people in the country, drugs should be less accessible off the shelf.  However, I think more drugs should be available directly from a pharmacist without a prescription.  Everything in this country is bass-ackwards.

So, because some people are stupid, others are punished?  Come on in, Nanny-state...  We have a nice place picked out for you.  ::)
(07-09-2009, 12:15 AM)SLCFranciscan Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-08-2009, 10:14 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Morphine, now there's some good stuff. 

As a coroner, I can tell you that we get quite a lot of business in the morgue from people who mess up with morphine, especially kids trying to get high who chew the time-release kind (MS-Contin).  Very dangerous stuff.

A coroner......thats a interesting job, I suppose you always get to the meat of the matter! ;)

On a serious note, I really do respect your job, it really is interesting and it is important for society.
(07-09-2009, 01:01 PM)GraceSeeker Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Since we have an enormous number of stupid people in the country, drugs should be less accessible off the shelf.

I deeply resent stupid people causing me to have less options than I could have.  I'm still ticked at the hoops through which I have to jump just to get some decent Sudafed.  Take my Tylenol and it's fighting time!

Underdog, I had surgery in March and they gave me Norco instead of Vicodin.  I started to object but the doctor explained that it's the same narcotic as Vicodin... just with a lower dosage of Tylenol.  I kept calling them Narcos, though.  Boy, I tell you... hydrocodone sure makes me happy and lovey.  I can see why they're abused. 
I too believe to a reasonable extent in personal responsibility.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5