FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Neocatechumenal Way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I read a book a few years back about Neocatechumenal Way, Communion and Liberation, and Opus Dei that made all of them sound pretty cult-like. One supposes there must be some well-meaning people involved with them, though.
(07-12-2009, 07:46 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]There's a new priest at our local NO parish and he's trained in the "Neocatechumenal Way."  What is this?  One of the websites I've found is starting to scare me . . .  http://charismatic-heresy.blogspot.com/2...l-way.html.

Fontevrault, thank you for posting this.

Never hurts to get the occasional reminder that when there is no TLM available, stay home and read your own Mass from your own Missal to keep the faith -  instead of attending that garbage to lose it.
(07-13-2009, 03:13 AM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I read a book a few years back about Neocatechumenal Way, Communion and Liberation, and Opus Dei that made all of them sound pretty cult-like.

Let me guess, The Pope's Armada by Gordon Urquhart?
AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!! I would never ever go to their Masses. Can you find another parish?
(07-12-2009, 07:59 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2009, 07:46 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]There's a new priest at our local NO parish and he's trained in the "Neocatechumenal Way."  What is this?  One of the websites I've found is starting to scare me . . .  http://charismatic-heresy.blogspot.com/2...l-way.html.

Heresy.

I would be very cautious with such statements. Jesus Christ and His Church is the judge, and the Church approved the neocathecumenal way is 2008.

http://www.zenit.org/article-22886?l=english

Some communities of the neocathechumenal way, even the founders may have erroneous teaching, but the whole movement using is approved. You or anyone else has rights to contact the Congregation of Faith about their documented abuses, but the judgment belongs to the Holy See 

The bottom line is that they get vocations and we need priests in union with the Church. 

laszlo
(07-13-2009, 03:34 AM)Marc Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2009, 03:13 AM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I read a book a few years back about Neocatechumenal Way, Communion and Liberation, and Opus Dei that made all of them sound pretty cult-like.

Let me guess, The Pope's Armada by Gordon Urquhart?

That's the one. A good read, for sure, but not too encouraging for anyone disposed to consider joining Focolare, et al (which I wasn't; as a recent convert at that point, I simply wanted to get the lay of the land, so to speak).
I would be vary wary of trusting Gordon Urquhart as a source. He did work for Catholics For Choice in the past. (They've changed their name from "Catholics For a Free Choice"). An excerpt:
Quote:The hierarchy’s prohibition of the use of contraception – even for married Catholics – proves the necessity of testing all its positions against the standard of the common good.... Are individuals and families made stable, healthy, and socially productive by public policy that disfavours contraception or forbids homosexual unions? Is the incidence of abortion curtailed by criminal status, or does illegality only prolong the public health and family devastation caused by unsafe clandestine procedures? The Vatican and its partners are formidable. Yet, if policy makers apply these criteria to the positions they present on gender, families, sexuality, and reproductive health, those positions will be rejected.
(07-13-2009, 02:15 PM)Ordet Wrote: [ -> ]I would be vary wary of trusting Gordon Urquhart as a source. He did work for Catholics For Choice in the past. (They've changed their name from "Catholics For a Free Choice"). An excerpt:
Quote:The hierarchy’s prohibition of the use of contraception – even for married Catholics – proves the necessity of testing all its positions against the standard of the common good.... Are individuals and families made stable, healthy, and socially productive by public policy that disfavours contraception or forbids homosexual unions? Is the incidence of abortion curtailed by criminal status, or does illegality only prolong the public health and family devastation caused by unsafe clandestine procedures? The Vatican and its partners are formidable. Yet, if policy makers apply these criteria to the positions they present on gender, families, sexuality, and reproductive health, those positions will be rejected.

If you're saying one should take what Urquhart says with a grain of salt, I agree, but chiefly because I have no personal experience with members of the movements he analyzes in The Pope's Armada. I assume there are at least some sane, well-meaning people involved with them and that there must be some good that has come from them. But I wouldn't take Urquhart's seemingly objectionable positions on the hot-button issues as a reason to dismiss anything else he might have to say. He might be quite right about Focolare and quite wrong about contraception, abortion, homosexual marriage, etc.

well, i am a seminarian from the redemtoris mater seminary (neocatechcumenal way), well the 'way' is mainly for theose who have left the church or how to say, to call the sinners to conversion, because really, i give you my experience, even i hated the way, because my parents have been in it since before my birth, ( i am 22 year old pakistani in pakistan) but i didnt understand but then there was once they were making announcements in the church saying, god loves you as you are, an that was what touched me, because the way makes a community of different people into one body of christ, and why a little seperate from the church (means the normal mass), because when you teach little children to swim you dont throw them in a deep pool to swim, but in a shallow one until they learn, like that , the neocatechumenal way is a way of initiation into the faith in stages, to relive the baptism, an for those that are not baptised, to live like the early christians, 
Pages: 1 2 3 4