FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Before and After: The Cathedral of St. Vibiana, Los Angeles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(07-16-2009, 04:53 PM)HolySoulsinPurgatory Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so I'll try once again.  What for? 

Ohhh, I dunno...  How’za’bout using St. Vibiana's for the TLM?  Invite, say, the ICRSP or FSSP to the largest (population-wise) Archdiocese in the U.S.
If I may play devil's advocate for a moment.  There is no way that the Archdiocese was going to spend $8 million on a building and hand it over to a parish.  No diocese in America would do that.  What might have happened is, the Archdiocese could've invited the FSSP or ICRSP to take over St. Vibiana's and then ask them to raise $8 million for the renovation.  I doubt either would be eager to take on such a task and I doubt the traddies in LA would've been able to raise even half that amount.  That's my opinion.
Showtime's Vulgarity in Church
August 14, 2007
http://www.catholicleague.org/chatterbox.php

Last night, the Showtime network debuted its new series, “Californication,” starring David Duchovny.  The main character, Hank is a writer who has a published a book called God Hates Us All. Unhappy about the film adaptation of his work, struggled with his young daughter, and missing his ex-girlfriend, Hank is troubled by a bad case of writer’s block. 

The opening scene of the pilot shows Hank enter a Catholic Church,* smoking a cigarette.  He drops the butt in the holy water font, walks up to the altar, and begins a conversation with Jesus on the crucifix.  A nun approaches him, and Hank begins telling her about his writer’s block in foul language.  The nun responds that she would normally tell him to say the Lord’s Prayer as penance for his cursing. In this case, however, she decides to offer him oral sex.  Hank puts up his hand to block Jesus’ view as the nun begins to perform the act.  At this point, he wakes up with another woman, revealing the church scene to be merely a dream.

If this is what passes for “edgy” at Showtime, we’ll take a pass on the upcoming season of “Californication.” 

*NB:  We have since learned that the church used in this scene is actually St. Vibiana's, the former cathedral for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. This raises serious questions about the propriety of using a building which was once consecrated for the setting of a trashy program.  The Catholic League will follow up on this matter.
Here are some recent pictures of St Vibiana's:

[Image: VibianaPlacePhotos%20050.jpg]

[Image: TheCathedral-AParty.jpg]

You can see more pictures here:

http://www.vibianala.com/index2.html
(07-16-2009, 11:13 PM)Saint_Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]Showtime's Vulgarity in Church
August 14, 2007
http://www.catholicleague.org/chatterbox.php

Last night, the Showtime network debuted its new series, “Californication,” starring David Duchovny.  The main character, Hank is a writer who has a published a book called God Hates Us All. Unhappy about the film adaptation of his work, struggled with his young daughter, and missing his ex-girlfriend, Hank is troubled by a bad case of writer’s block.   

The opening scene of the pilot shows Hank enter a Catholic Church,* smoking a cigarette.  He drops the butt in the holy water font, walks up to the altar, and begins a conversation with Jesus on the crucifix.  A nun approaches him, and Hank begins telling her about his writer’s block in foul language.  The nun responds that she would normally tell him to say the Lord’s Prayer as penance for his cursing. In this case, however, she decides to offer him oral sex.  Hank puts up his hand to block Jesus’ view as the nun begins to perform the act.  At this point, he wakes up with another woman, revealing the church scene to be merely a dream.

If this is what passes for “edgy” at Showtime, we’ll take a pass on the upcoming season of “Californication.”   

*NB:  We have since learned that the church used in this scene is actually St. Vibiana's, the former cathedral for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. This raises serious questions about the propriety of using a building which was once consecrated for the setting of a trashy program.  The Catholic League will follow up on this matter.

Of course such filth is inappropriate. What makes it inappropriate is not the setting but that it is immoral.

There are procedures that are done to "de-consecrate" a church so that it can be used for secular purposes or so it can be destroyed.

It sounds like that would be a horrid thing to do, unless you consider that is what is being done to the old Immaculata church in St. Mary's, KS. Presently they are finishing the destruction of what remains of a church which was consecrated. They are destroying it in order to build a bigger church over its ruins.

It is not something to do casually -- perform the proper desecration ceremony and turn a church over to secular use, but for a good reason it can be done. Many parishes have made their old church into a parish hall following the construction of a new church.

I think we have to be a bit less sensitive. Vulgarity is vulgarity. If it's done in a church it's sacrilegious, but just because the building some vulgar party or act is done in used to be a church doesn't make it sacrilege. Not that it becomes good, it's still vulgar and immoral, just that the fact a building used to be a church really shouldn't have an impact on how we look at this crap. It's crap whether it is in a former Cathedral-turned private hall or in a building that has never been used for anything sacred.

Regarding the Showtime series: was anyone under the impression that Showtime was not a morally depraved business who is happy to take shots at the Church whenever they can?
(07-17-2009, 11:18 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]I think we have to be a bit less sensitive. Vulgarity is vulgarity. If it's done in a church it's sacrilegious, but just because the building some vulgar party or act is done in used to be a church doesn't make it sacrilege. Not that it becomes good, it's still vulgar and immoral, just that the fact a building used to be a church really shouldn't have an impact on how we look at this crap. It's crap whether it is in a former Cathedral-turned private hall or in a building that has never been used for anything sacred.

We live in a depraved world and must be careful not to become desensitized. 

Even though the cathedral was deconsecrated, it is still scandalous that this incident happened.  The Diocese had an obligation to not sell it to a party that would allow it to be used to mock Christ and his Church. 
I usually don't let these things bother me, but something about a rave going on in the temple of God put me over the edge and threw me into a rage. How can we tolerate the intolerable? How can Catholics continue to permit these sacrileges? Someone needs to pay for what was done the Church.
(07-22-2009, 01:25 AM)Dauphin Wrote: [ -> ]I usually don't let these things bother me, but something about a rave going on in the temple of God put me over the edge and threw me into a rage. How can we tolerate the intolerable? How can Catholics continue to permit these sacrileges? Someone needs to pay for what was done the Church.

Our Lady of Good Success promised she would crush the enemy, just as hope seemed all but lost. One can only think there's not much time left to wait.
Pages: 1 2 3 4