FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: TLMs in Brooklyn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried looking up TLMs on the SSPX website but since I have no knowledge of NY, I don't know which one would be the closest to where I will be staying.  I'm going to be in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, NY.  I'm also open to attending FSSP or ICKSP Masses, if they are closer or the time is more convenient. 

Is this chapel nearby? http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...191.0.html
I am not a Brooklynite, but I can point you to:

Our Lady of Peace Church
522 Carroll Street (between 3rd & 4th Avenues)
Brooklyn, New York
(718) 624-5122

St. Cecilia’s Church
North Henry and Herbert Streets
Brooklyn, New York
(718) 389-0010

You might find this site helpful as well:

http://www.uvbrooklyn.org/
Hello from Brooklyn,

As a Brooklynite and someone who attends mass in the E.F on a fairly regular basis, I am happy to share some advice with you as you plan on coming into the area.
First off, please note that the parish of St. Cecilia does offer the traditional mass, but very in frequently (only on bigger feast days). Secondly, although Mass is offered every Sunday at Our Lady of Peace at 9:00AM, it unfortunately leaves much to be desired in the context which it is offered. I served for a year at mass here and because I want to be charitable to all the people and the priests comitted every week to making the mass possible, let me just say that, through no fault of these dedicated people, it still lacks alot of what this fom of the Roman Rite deserves ( I am sure you can read in between the lines in this reguard).

That being said, please do your faith a favor and take short  train ride across the East River to one of the following two parishes located in Manhattan: "The Church of Our Savior" located on the corner of Park avenue and East 38th street. The famous convert Fr. Rutler is the pastor here and a sung mass is offered in E.F every Sunday at 9:00AM. Here is the link:    http://www.oursaviournyc.org/

The second church which is located right up the block from The Church of Our Savior is the famous parish of St. Agnes, where Bishop Sheen resided and preached at for so many years. Located on East 43 rd street, between Lexington and 3rd avenue, they have a long established traditional mass community with a Sung mass every Sunday  at 11AM.

If you are free on Saturdays, the Church of the Holy Innocents, located on West 37th street bewteen Broadway and 7th avenue also offers a Sung Mass at 1PM every week. I hope that this information has been of some help to you.

II
Thank you both!

Rioko, do you know anything about Our Lady of La Salette in Bayside, Queens.  I found their website, but I can't seem to find their schedule.  According to mapquest, they're only 14 miles away.  Are their sermons in Spanish?  Are any of the SSPX chapels nearby? 

For now, the parish of St. Agnes seems like the best option.  Mass isn't too early, and according to mapquest it's only 8 miles away from Clinton Hill.  Now, I just hope my sister has some modest clothing.  Thank you for your help!
Holy Cow!  rioko432 is alive and still posting on Fisheaters?!!

You created the cowboy thread!
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...924.0.html

:nonsum:
(07-14-2009, 02:28 AM)katoliko Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both!

Rioko, do you know anything about Our Lady of La Salette in Bayside, Queens.  I found their website, but I can't seem to find their schedule.  According to mapquest, they're only 14 miles away.  Are their sermons in Spanish?  Are any of the SSPX chapels nearby? 

For now, the parish of St. Agnes seems like the best option.  Mass isn't too early, and according to mapquest it's only 8 miles away from Clinton Hill.  Now, I just hope my sister has some modest clothing.  Thank you for your help!
Our Lady of La Salette is an independent Spanish language Parish. The people are very nice, but the clergy were ordained by the Pastor, who is a Bishop of doubtful ordination.

In any case, the Manhattan Churches will be easier for you to get to. 
Thanks for the help Kclaib, I think I'm set on St Agnes
By the way, the SSPX has a mission on Sunday's at  1:30 at the the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marine's Club at 283 Lexington Ave.  It is called St Christpher's Mission and the Mass is said by one of the priests for their retreat house in Ridgefield.  I would recommend visitng Bishop Mckenna's in Monroe, CT, but I understand that you are limited in mobility for this visit.  Enjoy the visit. 

Joe
(07-14-2009, 08:47 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Holy Cow!  rioko432 is alive and still posting on Fisheaters?!!

You created the cowboy thread!
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...924.0.html

:nonsum:

After visiting NY, I can see why Rioko started the cowboy thread.  I feel like in LA, men either know how to dress, or not to dress.  In NY, particularly Manhattan and certain parts of Brooklyn, men either know how to dress, or go overboard.  I think more men wore short shorts and tank tops with patterns (not the plain ribbed white tanks) than women did.