FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pro Life victory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The parental notification act passed in 1984  updated in 1995, blocked in 2007 was cleared again for Illinois.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/14...31861.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- A federal appeals court breathed new life on Tuesday into a long-dormant Illinois law that requires teen girls to notify their parents before having abortions.

Attorneys on both sides of the emotionally charged issue said the law would take effect within weeks unless its critics ask for a stay and the appeals judges agree to put their order on hold pending a possible rehearing.

Anti-abortion activists applauded the appeals court's decision as a long-overdue victory, while opponents of the law, which went unenforced during years of legal wrangling, said the measure was guaranteed to usher in dangerous problems.

"It's about time the law was approved," said Thomas Brejcha, president and chief counsel of the Thomas More Society, which fought to have the measure enforced. "It's ridiculous that it took this long to get a decision."

Lorie A. Chaiten of the American Civil Liberties Union, which battled to keep the law from going into effect, said the law "creates unnecessary, dangerous hurdles to accessing essential health care for young women facing an unintended pregnancy in the state of Illinois."

The appeals court described the measure as "a permissible attempt to help a young woman make an informed choice about whether to have an abortion." It does not require teens to get their parents' consent, only to notify them beforehand.

A provision of the law allows girls to bypass that by notifying a judge instead, a procedure that the ACLU argued would not be workable in practice.

The appeals court's three-judge panel brushed aside that claim.

Well, this is something.  One of the most effective methods that was used to abolish slavery in various places was to enact various laws around its regulation, as a way of fencing it in.  I see little steps like these as steps towards that.  Perhaps in a hundred years or so this holocaust will be seen for what it is.  :pray:
I agree with JonW, at least it is a step in the right direction.
(07-15-2009, 05:04 PM)savienu Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with JonW, at least it is a step in the right direction.

Almost certainly either an other judge will block the measure again, and the case will be taken to the Supreme court.
All the judges are brainwashed by the Law schoold and their liberal agenda

Imho the real victory would be to define clearly that after quickening the fetus is human being with full rights.
(07-15-2009, 05:04 PM)savienu Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with JonW, at least it is a step in the right direction.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that so many judges like to create laws rather than interpret them.
(07-15-2009, 06:20 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]

Almost certainly either an other judge will block the measure again, and the case will be taken to the Supreme court.
All the judges are brainwashed by the Law schoold and their liberal agenda

Imho the real victory would be to define clearly that after quickening the fetus is human being with full rights.

I think it would be better to define the child as a human being with full rights from the moment of conception.