FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Spanish Civil War - Capa Faked Famous Photo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Faking Soldier: The photographic evidence that Capa's camera DOES lie... and that his iconic 'Falling Soldier' was staged

By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 12:31 PM on 21st July 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnew...taged.html

It's the iconic photo that captures the essence of the Spanish Civil War: a soldier falling to his death, arms splayed out behind him, gun still in hand, after being shot on a grassy hill.

But new evidence now claims to prove once and for all that the camera does lie - and Robert Capa's famous Falling Soldier was faked.

[Image: article-1201116-05C9C06C000005DC-335_634x413.jpg]
Faking soldier: It's the image that captured the Spanish Civil War and launched Robert Capa's career - but look closely at the hills marked in purple.

[Image: article-1201116-05C9BEC2000005DC-851_634x384.jpg]
The landscape marked in purple in the Falling Soldier matches the above image, also taken by Capa, in the same series, suggesting that both images were taken on the same hillside. Now compare the hillside marked in yellow here to the hillside also marked in yellow in the image below...

[Image: article-1201116-05C9BC54000005DC-359_634x386.jpg]
The hillside in yellow above matched the hillside in yellow in the second image from the series, suggesting that all three photographs are part of a continuous landscape, taken in the same place

[Image: article-1201116-05C9BC54000005DC-656_634x387.jpg]
Now compare the hillside in Capa's final image to the hillside in the modern day image above, taken outside Espejo... the hillsides appear to be the same, apparently proving that Capa's Falling Soldier was taken outside Espejo, not near Cerro Muriano as Capa claimed

For decades the authenticity of Capa's 1936 image has been questioned - and these photographs, taken by Capa in the same series, appear to settle the argument once and for all.

When matched with modern images, they appear to show that the soldier in Capa's image was actually some 30 miles (50kilometres) away from the scene of the fighting on the day in question.

It was claimed that the image was taken near Cerro Muriano in Andalusia, where fighting was taking place in September of 1936.

However Spanish newspaper El Periodico asserted that Capa's image was actually taken about 50kilometres to the south-west near the town of Espejo.

[Image: article-1201116-05C9B760000005DC-163_634x428.jpg]
The town was far from the frontline and there was no fighting on the day in question, it said.

'The real location, some 10km from an inactive battle front, demonstrates that the death was not real,' the newspaper stated.

A detailed examination of the photographs shows that the background in the Falling Soldier matches the background of another image by Capa in the same series.

The landscape then flows into the background of a third image from the series, with the skyline showing that all three are part of a continuous landscape.
Does it matter? Capa, shown here in 1942, went on to become one of the greatest war photographers of all time

But it is the third image that is the missing link between Capa's claim and the truth about the Falling Soldier.

For the hills in the background of that image also appear to match the hills in a modern-day image taken near Espejo - miles from where Capa claims the Falling Soldier was taken.

Capa claimed the photos showed a group of militiamen in action against General Franco's troops, who were rebelling against the Spanish republic.

But proof of the location of the photos showed that the sequence was a 'flagrant fake', Ernest Alos, the journalist who wrote the report, said.

There was fighting in Espejo on only two days in September of 1936: the 22nd and the 25th. But by then Capa's image had already been published.

The hillside in the images was still under republican control and Franco's troops were at least 15 miles away, in Montilla near Cordoba, Mr Alos said. No injuries or deaths of combatants were reported in Espejo until the end of September.

Hungarian Capa has been hailed as the founder of modern photo-journalism, building his reputation as a war photographer by living the maxim: 'If the photo isn't good enough, it's because you're not close enough.'

Just 22 years old when the Falling Soldier was taken, he went on to capture historic and symbolic moments in wars in China, Tunisia, Israel, Germany, France and Italy.

In an editorial El Periodico claimed that his staging of the Falling Soldier was more than cancelled out by the countless authentic photographs he took throughout his dangerous career, dismissing his 'youthful peccadillo'.

Capa died in 1954 when he stepped on a land-mine in Indo-China.
Thanks for posting that.  I can just hear the leftists and the world media (as willing commie dupes)  -- "I'm shocked -- shocked -- to find communists staging photographs for agit prop purposes......" 
commies stage photos?
shirk the thought!
(07-21-2009, 12:28 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]commies stage photos?
shirk the thought!

Really!!!! Who would have thought such a thing??  Perhaps you may be interested in videos and new items provided by a Soviet satellite partisan group?

http://www.break.com/index/what_really_h...ywood.html

I look forward to your response to this video.
War is hell.  Or should it be - the business of war is hell? :P
(07-21-2009, 06:12 PM)MitOS Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 12:28 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]commies stage photos?
shirk the thought!

Really!!!! Who would have thought such a thing??   Perhaps you may be interested in videos and new items provided by a Soviet satellite partisan group?

http://www.break.com/index/what_really_h...ywood.html

I look forward to your response to this video.

//Crickets chirping//

JMJ

[/quote]
sorry i missed it mitios caught up with all the other threads and all.
well clearly i don't put it past the Palestinians to fake a propoganda piece. they are kinda known for that. surprised they haven't gotten no oscars.
sip sip
im not sayin isreal does no wrong mind you and i dont support isreal becasue thats catholic land not jewish or mohamadan i wish they both just wipe eachother out u know then us catholics will take the Holy land back in its rightful hands.
catholic hands!

(07-27-2009, 08:31 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]sorry i missed it mitios caught up with all the other threads and all.
well clearly i don't put it past the Palestinians to fake a propoganda piece. they are kinda known for that. surprised they haven't gotten no oscars.
sip sip
im not sayin isreal does no wrong mind you and i dont support isreal becasue thats catholic land not jewish or mohamadan i wish they both just wipe eachother out u know then us catholics will take the Holy land back in its rightful hands.
catholic hands!

Well that is fair enough.  I have no authority to require someone to support Israel nor would I wish to do so even if I had such an authority.  I leave the State of Israel in God's hands.

In part I agree with you on the land being properly Catholic, but I am not sure God does ergo my partial agreement.  Left to me I would say make it a center of Catholic Christian worship and life.  I do think that will happen eventually but on God’s terms not mine, nor anyone else’s as far as that goes.

Here is why I am troubled by the attitude many Traditional Catholic hold on this matter.  It seems to me yet another attempt of men to set the course on their will not on God’s.  The case of a Jewish Israel is the best example I can think of man’s will vs. God’s.

I paint almost everyone with this brush and the Jews too.  After all Zionism is men's will not a divine one.  Zionism will not give anyone Salvation.  It however can be a tool that God uses to shape the clay that is man.  MY Case as follows:

The Holy land of Israel has been Catholic at least twice in history. 
The first was the waning years of the Roman Empire.  A Catholic Empire that held that land from the early fourth century till the Islamic hordes overran it in the seventh.  That is 300 plus years and the Biblical predictions did not come true.

The Second time was the First Crusades.  They rescued about the same area of land we call the modern state of Israel (including the West Bank)  They called it the Kingdom of Jerusalem and ruled it as a Catholic Kingdom for about Eighty years.  That is a full generation and still the prophecies did not take place.

Now we see many of the prophecies coming true all around us and the Jews are back as rulers of the Holy Land.  Even if you want to views those prophecies as metaphorical in nature you may but that does not mean God does the same.

For example one Prophecy is the rebuilding of the Temple.  That has been done and it is standing in the Southern desert of Israel where they are training Old Testament style priests.  Much the same happened in the OT where the Temple was first carved in Lebanon and reassembled on the Temple mount.  So this is happening much like it did in the OT but for entirely different reasons.  It is almost as if the OT was a hint of what was to come.  They have not reassembled this modern one on the final location but I think that is coming soon.

There is a host of other similar predictions that are eerie and yet coming true.  I do not agree with the Fundamental Protestants who cheer this on.  I do not since I think the purpose of this new Temple is the Antichrist.  The Protestants know this too and yet they cheer it coming.  The Jews will make the wrong choices again but the devil wants Catholics to make the wrong choice as well.

The outcome for the Jews and the Antichrist will not be to their liking and yet too many Catholic make a wrong choice as well.  The Pope choosing to stop the effort to convert the Jews is just one example.  But those who want to jew-bait and assign all sins in the world are doing just as badly only in the opposite direction.  If going straight is the right path while one man is saying turn left and another is saying turn right they are both just as wrong.  Neither are staying on tract.

One offers the Jews no Salvation while the other spits in their face while saying convert now.  A strategy that is not likely to have much success since a real conversion does not appear to be wanted by either party.

Both seem to make the Devil’s job that much easier.

So I watch and wait while I pray.  The Jews will not turn to the Church for help because there seems little desire for them there. (They carry the burden of this themselves but some people help them to make the bad choice, which is my major beef)  Meanwhile the Devil surrounds them with people who wish to kill them with many Catholics preferring the killers who will turn on the Catholic Church the first chance they get.  They justify this because the Jews are so flawed as if the Muslims do not have a far worst record of failings.

The Jews are invaders they say.  This from people who are not Native Americans or Aztecs in Mexico or Aborigines in Australia or Celtics in England.  I could go on and on but I made my point I trust.

The right of the state of Israel is real and you need not look any further than Pilate in the Gospel of Saint John.  The right of the Romans to rule the Holy Land was discussed and the right was given by God and this from the mouth of God in the second person.  From a secular worldly perspective Rome had no right to place a pretender to the throne in the form of Herod.  This replaced the divine line of Kings founded in the form of King David and yet it was predicted.  The Romans also replaced the High Priest descended from Aaron and this too was predicted.

Any yet many Jews at the time knew of these things and still rejected the clear fulfillment of these predictions.  I wonder if they too saw those prophecies as mere metaphors?

I apologize for taking this thread odd tract.

JMJ
Viva Franco!