FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Fessio fired again from Ave Maria university
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://pewsitter.com/view_news2_id_21043.php

Breaking: Fr. Joseph Fessio, S.J., dismissed from Ave Maria University
From Fr. Joseph Fessio, S.J., Founder and Editor of Ignatius Press:

This morning, (Monday, July 20th) Dr. Jack Sites, Academic Vice President of Ave Maria University,  flew from Houston, where he was attending a meeting of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, to San Francisco, to inform me personally that I was being dismissed from Ave Maria University. Our meeting was amicable and Dr. Sites, as always, acted as a Christian gentleman.
He said that the reason for my dismissal stemmed from a conversation I had in November of 2008 with Jack Donahue, then chairman of the board of AMU. At that time I felt it an obligation to speak to the board chairman before the upcoming board meeting, to make sure he was aware of the urgency of the university’s financial situation. After I had informed him, using projections based on publicly available documents and statements,  he asked me what I thought was the solution. I told him that there were policies being followed that were at the root of the problem, that the present administration was irrevocably wedded to those policies, and that without a change of administration the university was at great risk.

Dr. Sites said that Jack Donahue related this conversation to Tom Monaghan, and it was decided (I don’t know specifically by whom) that the university could not have a faculty member making these criticisms of the administration and thus undermining the university.

Dr. Sites told me that there were unspecified others who had similar substantive concerns that I was undermining the university.

I continue to support the university. I pray for its success. I have great admiration for the faculty, students, and many of the staff. I do disagree with some of the policies of the administration. This seems to be the reason I was fired the first time, in March 2007, since the official explanation was “irreconcilable administrative differences”.

Nevertheless, I think it is an accurate summary to say that I am being dismissed as a faculty member because of a private conversation with the chairman of the board in which I made known my criticisms of the university administration; and because of allegations which have not been made known to me and to which I have not been given an opportunity to respond.

I will continue to recommend AMU to students and parents. And I will continue to think my dismissal is another mistake in a long series of unwise decisions.

Fr. Fessio will continue as Editor of Ignatius Press.
Fr. Fessio is a holy priest and an amazing preacher. I had the privilege of altar serving for him in a (TLM) High Mass recently.
(07-21-2009, 07:14 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: [ -> ]Fr. Fessio is a holy priest and an amazing preacher. I had the privilege of altar serving for him in a (TLM) High Mass recently.

Oh, he's saying the TLM now?  He used to be opposed to not only the TLM, but Mass in Latin:

Quote:Fessio does not consider his stance in opposition to Vatican II. "I don't want the Tridentine Mass. I don't want to have the Latin Mass. I want a Mass in English, but I want to have a noble, accurate translation that is not driven by ideology."

Oh, but wait, then he said this another time:

Quote:It is possible to make this profound reality [the reform of the reform] visible by celebrating the Novus Ordo Mass in ways that make the continuity with tradition much more obvious. The Novus Ordo permits that Mass be celebrated with all its parts, or the canon and ordinary parts, in Latin.

I'm confuzzled...

Next confuzzlement:  Is he a friend of tradition?  You serve at a TLM he celebrates, but he has said this:

Quote:We at Ignatius Press are proponents of the reform of the reform, not of the restoration of the preconciliar form of the liturgy [the Tridentine Latin Mass]."

Now, certainly people can change their minds, and I'm hoping Father has "discovered tradition" and that is why he is celebrating the TLM, but I'm a cynic especially when it comes to the Neo-Catholic Reform-of-the-reform crowd.
(07-21-2009, 07:53 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, he's saying the TLM now?

This isn't news. Father Fessio has been saying the TLM for over a year, and the NO in Latin for longer. Pretty much every sermon I heard him give involved him translating and dissecting some of the Latin Propers.
(07-21-2009, 07:57 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 07:53 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, he's saying the TLM now?

This isn't news. Father Fessio has been saying the TLM for over a year, and the NO in Latin for longer. Pretty much every sermon I heard him give involved him translating and dissecting some of the Latin Propers.

Right, and when we discussed it two years ago you were going to ask him about some of this, remember?

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg20393592

From the Wanderer, Dec. 7, 2006:

Quote:"Please clarify for our readers your personal view on the Traditional Latin Mass. Would you offer it if it is freed up by the Pope [with the publication of a motu proprio]...?" Fr. Fessio answers: "I don't like calling it the ‘Traditional Latin Mass' because I think the way I celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass is traditional. I've been thinking about trying to introduce a new label: the Vetus [Old] Ordo. I have objections to both the Novus Ordo and the Vetus Ordo as they are at present.... So I have always preferred the lonely moderate position of celebrating the Novus Ordo in the most traditional manner."

I'm interested in what his position is these days and why he (apparently) has changed his stance.  As I said in our last discussion, I am very cynical when it comes to the Neo-Catholics, especially those who have a vested (not necessarily monetary) interest in the reform-of-the-reform.

In any case, this last debacle is why laymen with money should donate and shut up.  Letting a layman fire a priest because he holds the pursestrings is something I thought we got rid of in the Medieval era (one of the few things I didn't like about Catholic Europe - the monetary influence over the Church).  Let the priests run the schools and the churches otherwise the priests serve at the whims of the faithful (and unfaithful as well).

Regardless of his TLM stance, Fr. Fessio got a raw deal, that's for sure.  But, he should have known better the first time he was fired.
(07-21-2009, 08:14 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Right, and when we discussed it two years ago you were going to ask him about some of this, remember?

I may have never gotten around to it. I don't remember right now.
He sounds disappointed that the "reform of the reform" really hasn't gained the popularity as he thought it would. Past writings indicated, to me at least, he thought it would be welcomed as a sort of compromise between the NO and the TLM, but since neither side was about to compromise, his efforts sort of fell flat. I know a lot of traditionalists have been working on him over the years (my uncle Roger's one of them), so it's not that surprising his views have becaome more in favor of the Tridentine Mass.
(07-21-2009, 07:53 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 07:14 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: [ -> ]Fr. Fessio is a holy priest and an amazing preacher. I had the privilege of altar serving for him in a (TLM) High Mass recently.

Oh, he's saying the TLM now?  He used to be opposed to not only the TLM, but Mass in Latin:

Quote:Fessio does not consider his stance in opposition to Vatican II. "I don't want the Tridentine Mass. I don't want to have the Latin Mass. I want a Mass in English, but I want to have a noble, accurate translation that is not driven by ideology."

Oh, but wait, then he said this another time:

Quote:It is possible to make this profound reality [the reform of the reform] visible by celebrating the Novus Ordo Mass in ways that make the continuity with tradition much more obvious. The Novus Ordo permits that Mass be celebrated with all its parts, or the canon and ordinary parts, in Latin.

I'm confuzzled...

Next confuzzlement:   Is he a friend of tradition?  You serve at a TLM he celebrates, but he has said this:

Quote:We at Ignatius Press are proponents of the reform of the reform, not of the restoration of the preconciliar form of the liturgy [the Tridentine Latin Mass]."

Now, certainly people can change their minds, and I'm hoping Father has "discovered tradition" and that is why he is celebrating the TLM, but I'm a cynic especially when it comes to the Neo-Catholic Reform-of-the-reform crowd.

Perhaps he's changed his views. Or, if he sees himself midway between the TLM and the NO, and he says the NO without any scruples, why not say the TLM.